Thread: Blisters

sonic_underground Guest

Default Blisters

Hey im new so i dont really know what im doing, if anyone has any tips they would be much appreciated,
    thought i would join for advice as im only starting up but i play a few gigs and i always seem to get blisters and blood blisters. is there any way of stopping this happening or do i just have to get better??
    Please let me know if you have any advice as i have a gig soon
    Thanks

User Info Menu

You may simply be playing too hard. Drums will only project over a certain volume by themselves. Anything past that is wasted energy. Hit less hard and mic the drums. Let the mics work for you so you're not killing yourself. All you really need is a kick drum mic and and overhead to get you started.

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

SU, welcome to Drum Chat! Tell us, how new is new? It sounds like you might need some tips on stick technique, and there are plenty of people that can help you, but we will need to know what your skill level is before we'll know what the problem might actually be.

If you're real new, don't sweat it. I'm a new drummer myself. I started playing in March, and joined this site in April. I have learned so much here that has helped my development that I can't say enough about how I feel about the people that you will meet in here. Just know that there are people that can help you because they are where you are, and there are people that can help you because they have been drumming for years.

I look forward to getting to know you, and hearing about how things are going with your drumming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome SU, you've come to the right place!

User Info Menu

DC is right. You'll love it here
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_underground View Post
    Hey im new so i dont really know what im doing, if anyone has any tips they would be much appreciated,
    thought i would join for advice as im only starting up but i play a few gigs and i always seem to get blisters and blood blisters. is there any way of stopping this happening or do i just have to get better??
    Please let me know if you have any advice as i have a gig soon
    Thanks
    I reckon your hand technique may be to blame. What grip do you use?

User Info Menu

welcome

User Info Menu

Welcome SU! Regarding the blisters... you may be hitting the drums to hard as Drummer stated - or you might be holding the stick too tight OR too loosely. What happens when you hold it too loosely is the stick is in continual motion in your hand and constantly hits the same spot on your finger/palm/hand and over time... voila, a blister forms. I, for one, use Ahead drummers gloves. Not only do they help with sweaty palms during a gig but they also prevent blisters. I've had blisters where they burst while playing, blood dripping down the stick (NOW try holding onto that stick all slick and slippery!!). I also wear one ring on each ring finger (wedding band on the left and a 16th birthday gift from my grandparents on the other) and the gloves form a "buffer" preventing blisters there as well. Some people think the gloves are gaffe (and have said so here on drumchat) but I swear by 'em and really don't give a rats patuti what others think cuz they're my hands and the gloves work... for me. Just a thought.

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 10-23-2007 at 11:00 PM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Stix, I personally think they look cool! And if they're functional, even better!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've had many blisters in my time with drums (most of which have callused over). Blisters are natural, they will happen in drums.
    So will calluses, they will become to mark of a long-time drummer. (I have on on my right index finger, and my third finger first knuckle. from marching band and traditional grip.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Cool Blisters

Hey, SU--welcome aboard, man...

If you're just starting out, it's probably one or more of the other factors...

I'd go with stix' suggestion about gloves, but at the same time, calluses will eventually build up. Try practicing without the gloves and playing gigs with the gloves so you build up the calluses naturally without tearin' your fingers up during the gigs (that is until you get toughened up a bit).

Good luck on your upcomin' gigs and--
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

dunno if someone said this already but im to lazy to read up on all the posts but.. i stopped gettin blisters when my teacher told me how to hold my sticks right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Welcome SU! Regarding the blisters... you may be hitting the drums to hard as Drummer stated - or you might be holding the stick too tight OR too loosely. What happens when you hold it too loosely is the stick is in continual motion in your hand and constantly hits the same spot on your finger/palm/hand and over time... voila, a blister forms. I, for one, use Ahead drummers gloves. Not only do they help with sweaty palms during a gig but they also prevent blisters. I've had blisters where they burst while playing, blood dripping down the stick (NOW try holding onto that stick all slick and slippery!!). I also wear one ring on each ring finger (wedding band on the left and a 16th birthday gift from my grandparents on the other) and the gloves form a "buffer" preventing blisters there as well. Some people think the gloves are gaffe (and have said so here on drumchat) but I swear by 'em and really don't give a rats patuti what others think cuz they're my hands and the gloves work... for me. Just a thought.

Stix

I'm with you bro on the gloves department. I sweat a lot and get blisters no matter what my technique is.....that's why I use gloves.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about getting gloves......

User Info Menu

I first had the same problem you did but after a couple weeks they simply callused over.

User Info Menu

i would follow bongobros advice and get some gloves for your gigs. one of my most recent gigs i had a blister on my right hand and it burst when i went to choke my crash and blod spiled all over my snare and we had to stop the show just to clean it all up because of the health risks. but luckaly another one of the drummers gave me one of his pairs of gloves cuz he wanted to see the rest of our set. since then i use gloves for every show.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

In addition to all that was said already, see if you think you are using too heavy of a stick. When I was young and stupid I used big 2b sticks and got blisters, now I am older and not quite as stupid and I use 7a's. Yeah, maybe TOO light for you, but I don't get ANY blister-ness. Of course I have better technique now and I don't play as long at a sitting or as hard hitting as the olden days.
    Last edited by Toad; 10-25-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

Cool Blisters

Toad--

You may still be young, but I wouldn't call ya stupid! Great advice based on experience, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I don't have any blisters, am I doing something wrong?

User Info Menu

no dc your probably doing something vary right
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Woohoo newbies!

Pokes him with a stick :P

lols Hi dude enjoy your stay!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

welcome!

i never got blisters until i got this certain grip tape that was very rough and tore the hell outta my hands....so i just stick with these vader grip tape thats smooth and awesome--so maybe they'd help you? not too expensive either...

id check my holding techniques def, its easy to get out of the rite way to hold, especially when knocking it outta the park

User Info Menu

Default Bandaids

Yeah but if you have a show dont try to play with the blister open put a bandaid or tape over that spot, just for the show use it for other stuff to get a callus

User Info Menu

one tip that jojo mayer gives is to learn to use the rebound of the drums and grip loosly rather than death gripping the stick
    and if you feel like it is gunna slip out of your hand
    get some drum wax

other than that
    tough it out until you build up callauses
    good luck man
    =]

User Info Menu

My advice: get used to it

Youll get a few hotspots, especailly on smaller sized sticks, in marching you wont have much of a problem with the hotspots, but right where your palm goes into your finger is a spot, and in between the knuckles of your fingers are others, along with the side of your thumb

Just tough it out, shed some blood for the drums, and youll build up calouses, then youll be set as long as yo dont file down your hands and stop playing for a long period of time