Thread: Crossovers help

User Info Menu

Default Crossovers help

Hi, i just wondered if anyone can give me tips to improve my technique. I can cross the right over the left when playing like on the toms and stuff but cant cross my left over my right as my right hand bounces higher than my left. Im gonna try and practice more rudiments to build up my left hand strength but wondered if theres anything else i can do?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crossovers help

One of the best thing to do IMO is to play some standard beats on the kit using a left hand lead on the HH. It's working for me.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Hi, i just wondered if anyone can give me tips to improve my technique. I can cross the right over the left when playing like on the toms and stuff but cant cross my left over my right as my right hand bounces higher than my left. Im gonna try and practice more rudiments to build up my left hand strength but wondered if theres anything else i can do?

Thanks
    Set your kit up left hand style and keep it like that for at least a month.

User Info Menu

practice , practice , practice.........start slow and work up a little faster , you will start feeling more comfortable and it will start to feel more natural the more you practice.

welcome to the board Woodmanz

User Info Menu

That setting up of the kit left handed sounds like an excellent idea- i am a lefty but of course was initially forced to play on right hand kits way back when, and still do have to play right handed at most jam nights, so crossing over (sounds ominous) isn't too bad for me!

Happy days!

User Info Menu

triplets around the toms are great for crossovers, start slow, build them up in speed, also floor tom to snare and back again are cool. try out some triplet patterns see what is cool and tricky, write down the combos if you cant remember them. also keep the kick going on a steady four stomp to lock yourself into the tempo, smooth and even is the way to go. all the best.

Official cowbell hater.