Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you care what you eat before a gig?

User Info Menu

Default Do you care what you eat before a gig?

Would you hesitate to eat a full meal or does that matter to you? I know some guys that don't like to play on a full stomach. Curious who really pays any attention to this.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you care what you eat before a gig?

I make it a point to not eat anything within several hours of a gig. Playing for as many years as I have, I've come to recognize that I play better and can play well for much longer on an empty stomach. And I really hate trying to play while fighting the bloated feeling after eating a large meal, not to mention the longing for a nap!

All of my cohorts do just the opposite, often heading to the restaurant immediately after doing our setup. Our keyboard player/lead singer - one of the nicest guys on the planet - then spends the rest of the evening turning away from the microphone and belching! The other guys, though, seem to not be affected whatsoever by the large meal.

So, like almost everything else, the meal thing just comes down to personal preference and experience. For me, though, my eating on the evening of a gig consists purely of Coca-Cola on lots of ice. Ahhhhhhh. :-)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Made no difference for me. Some venues I'd eat at home before heading out and setting up. (usually about 2 hours before the gig starts)

Or

If places served food, we'd generally eat after set up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't eat for at least 2 hours before show time.

User Info Menu

no hard and fast rule for me. As I am mostly a beer and pizza drummer, I'll take it when I can get it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't gig or play now but when I was younger I would only eat if I was hungry other than that I would probably snack on something in between breaks.

User Info Menu

For me the rule is no food or alcohol before or during the gig.
    I drink water between songs and will enjoy a kocktail after the gig is done.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Don't eat.

User Info Menu

I try to eat something small several hours before a gig. I like to have a couple beers before and then one or two during the gig. If I don't have anything at all in my stomach, I'll get acid indigestion pretty bad. On the other hand....if I eat just before a gig, I end up having to use the restroom pretty bad by the second set. Most of the bar restrooms are not the best place for an "extended break of the 2nd order", LOL.

As I get older, I find an increased need to structure my daily activities around the availability of a clean bathroom.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Since the time between dinner and the actual gigs is about 4 hrs, I just have a small meal at dinner. Driving helps digestion...loading/unloading does not.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yes but no. I know I shouldn't gig with a full stomach but I have and usually regret it. LOL.

User Info Menu

i eat about 5ish, we gig at 9.30pm i wouldn't eat much later than that.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I always feel like you need that fuel for a long gig but I agree that you shouldn't eat a huge meal right before you play. Seems counterproductive.

User Info Menu

The show usually starts around seven
    We go on stage around nine
    Get on the bus about eleven
    Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I'm a type I diabetic so I always have to eat...and it's not good if my blood sugar gets low during a gig and I can't play. I also have anxiety so it's hard to eat if it's a big gig or something. But, yes, I eat.

User Info Menu

3 of my favorite things in life are eating, drinking, and playing music. Why forsake any for the others? Besides, when I'm hungry and sober, I'm irritable!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    3 of my favorite things in life are eating, drinking, and playing music. Why forsake any for the others? Besides, when I'm hungry and sober, I'm irritable!!

all the best...
    HAHA. Well said.

User Info Menu

I carb load at lunch, then usually too busy loading/running around/setting up to remember to eat dinner before the gig. I do pack protein bars in the emergency kit.

User Info Menu

I eat before a gig, but it's usually something small. I save the huge meal for afterwards.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I never eat gluten before a gig. Wait, I never eat gluten.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

being a chef i had to take a bunch of nutrition classes , it taught me how to make food work for you ... on the day of a gig i start with a breakfast of oatmeal, fresh fruit and toast.... then for lunch i eat pretty much what i feel like, (trying to stay away from fried food)... for dinner i try to eat something like , some kind of grilled meat and a salad.. this menu keeps my energy level up and is easy to digest.... plus i keep a bag of M&Ms with me that i pretty much eat during our last break just as a little kicker for the last set.. this works for me...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

This is 1 of those things that I can honestly say that I never gave a 2nd thought to.

If we were hungry, we would eat, if not, we wouldn't.

After a gig, breakfast was a given. By that time, we were starved, whether we ate earlier or not.

User Info Menu

I don't eat before any. And if I do, it's a yogurt. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I need to eat before I play, usually an hour or two before. I try not to have a huge meal, but if I go on an empty stomach, I wont last any more than an hour of playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I make it a point to not eat anything within several hours of a gig. Playing for as many years as I have, I've come to recognize that I play better and can play well for much longer on an empty stomach. And I really hate trying to play while fighting the bloated feeling after eating a large meal, not to mention the longing for a nap!

All of my cohorts do just the opposite, often heading to the restaurant immediately after doing our setup. Our keyboard player/lead singer - one of the nicest guys on the planet - then spends the rest of the evening turning away from the microphone and belching! The other guys, though, seem to not be affected whatsoever by the large meal.

So, like almost everything else, the meal thing just comes down to personal preference and experience. For me, though, my eating on the evening of a gig consists purely of Coca-Cola on lots of ice. Ahhhhhhh. :-)

GeeDeeEmm
    And then there's the old man syndrome where you have to go to the restroom right after you eat. I try to never eat before doing something where I can't really stop to go to the restroom...hehehe...
    Take care and seeya!

Jim