Thread: Mics, Mixers, and Live Sound

User Info Menu

Default Mics, Mixers, and Live Sound

Hello everyone! I have a complex problem that I hope someone could point me in the right direction. Please assume I have zero experience with recording/live sound.

Just this past Sunday, my Worship Team Leader stopped me to let me know that he is going to propose a budget to have my kit completely enclosed and mic'd for our Sunday services. Up until now, I have been just on stage behind a plexiglass shield. He wants to try to control the volume a little more and be able to record. I told him that I would do some research.

I have a 7-piece kit with 4 cybals and hat. After a little research, I think I am going to go with the Samson 8-kit plus the Samson 3 pack of snare/tom mics. This will allow me to mic all my toms, bass, hi-hat, and snare (top and bottom), and have two overheads in the x/y setup. 11 mics in total

Which brings me to my delima... I am looking for a 12 channel mixer that will be cost efficient. I plan on keeping that near my kit so I have control over the sound, but then running the output to the main board. I also plan on running the monitor line into the last channel so that I can use the setup as an in ear monitor with headphones.

I hope I made sense and please tell me if I am trying to attain the impossible. I have had no experience with mixers so I don't even know if my idea is even possible. Thank you for your time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mics, Mixers, and Live Sound

Do you have an FOH soundman?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Do you have an FOH soundman?
    Yes, but only one free channel on that board. I want to pre mix the drums, send it to the main board, and have a monitor line come back to the pre mix board so that I can use it as an in ear monitor. (Have a channel that only I can hear in my headphones.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xioz View Post
    Team Leader stopped me to let me know that he is going to propose a budget to have my kit completely enclosed
    Completely enclosed? Are you sealed in some space capsule with a watertight door?

I think they are anti-drums.

Maybe an electronic kit would satisfy whoever is judging you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Completely enclosed? Are you sealed in some space capsule with a watertight door?

I think they are anti-drums.

Maybe an electronic kit would satisfy whoever is judging you.
    Not quite, but close enough.

It's not so much anti drum as the Sanctuary is a repurposed gym with high ceilings and sound flying EVERYWHERE. I am all for the idea because I refuse to play on electrc kits. Sorry if you like them, but I do not in the slightest.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

What about a conversion kit so you can keep your shells? You will be big money ahead and doing everyone a huge service.

For probably the last 10 years most churches that I know of are using electric kits to tame the savage beast.

I don't think micing the drums is the best option based on my previous experiences. But that is just that, my experiences.

Good luck with your project.

What you are trying to do sounds very doable but I don't believe the outcome is going to be the desired results.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

What about a conversion kit so you can keep your shells? You will be big money ahead and doing everyone a huge service.

For probably the last 10 years most churches that I know of are using electric kits to tame the savage beast.

I don't think micing the drums is the best option based on my previous experiences. But that is just that, my experiences.

What you are trying to do sounds very doable but I don't believe the outcome is going to be the desired results.
    Thank you very much for the idea, I have never played on a conversion kit so I am open to give the idea a try.

User Info Menu

Id go with a basic mic set up, one kick and two overheads. Youll get great sound and have less headaches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

I could have sworn I responded to you already... I have never played on a conversion kit, I would be willing to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Id go with a basic mic set up, one kick and two overheads. Youll get great sound and have less headaches.
    That is an option, in fact I may be leaning that direction. I still have no idea what I want to look for in the way of a mixer, I only have one channel accessable in thr main board.

User Info Menu

just a kick mic is enough, unless you plan you play in front of more than 500 people