Thread: So it's a new season and........

User Info Menu

Thumbs up So it's a new season and........

So it's a new season for my high school marching band, and I've encountered the same annoyance that occurs to me every new season.

I currently play snare as I have 3 of four seasons I am pretty accustomed to most all of the pros, cons, anoyances that follow my instrument.

I haven't been playing much traditional during our off season as I have been working on my kit playing and haven't used much traditional while doing so. So as I've encountered in previous starts of a season my ring finger blisters until eventually I get a solid callus.

Right now my finger is blistered and not callused yet, this makes drumming annoyingly painful but I know it's important to keep drumming so I can build up the callus so that I can drum to my content and reach my maximum potential without the constant hinderance of a blister.

I know my technique and I know that I play properly and this is not cause of poor technique I just wonder if anyone has any tips on speeding up the process of getting my callus.

Sincerely ~ a drummer

User Info Menu

Default Re: So it's a new season and........

"I know my technique and I know that I play properly and this is not cause of poor technique"

Yeah, it probably is.

I've been playing Traditional since day 1, which was 58 years ago, and I don't and never have had a blister on my ring finger.

I have had layoffs of a couple of months here and there, including last summer. When I was able to go back to playing, no blisters.

You are doing something wrong, technique-wise.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

You will get honest and accurate information so be ready for a bunch of different viewpoints and opinions. We are truly here to assist and not judge.

With that said...

Up until 2 years ago I was gigging at least every other weekend for the past 40 years. I don't recall ever getting blisters.

You should post some videos of you playing and we might be able to give you better input.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

but he's also using (I'm assuming) the super fat marching sticks?

User Info Menu

Stewart copeland usually used electrical tape on his left hand with traditional. I have never had a blister. I hold my sticks fairly loose and haven't had any problems with pain whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Although I have not been on a drumline, I know that a "good" grip is not necessarily a good drumset grip. IMO, you are holding the stick to tight, but at the same time you kind of have too when you are playing with tree trunks. Vic Firth makes drum gloves?

Rick, I agree with you 100%.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Not everybody's skin is the same, just like not everybody's body make-up(including muscles, tendons, etc.) is the same. Too bad, otherwise we could all be as fast as Buddy Rich.
    With trad grip the stick banging into your left ring finger enough times results in a blister or callous or nothing. Depends on your skin. Depends on your sweat. Depends on your sticks. Depends on the weather...etc.
    So tape your finger until the blister heals and allow the callous to form.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'm sitting here holding a stick in traditional grip trying to figure out how you would hold it to get a blister, and I can't find 1 way.

User Info Menu

I suppose I should have mentioned I do not get blisters when useing my usual sticks in traditional grip on kit. And the diameter on the sticks are vastly different the sticks we use in my drumline the pro mark system blue txdc50w have a diameter of: .72" where as my usual kit sticks the pro mark Hickory 526 "The Bulb" Billy Ward Wood Tip sticks which have a diameter of : .552" which might not look vastly different on paper but most definitely notable when in hand you can probably see in video on YouTube ill post a video to get another opinion on my personal technique (I've had 5 different teachers over the years who have taught me snare, and the only criticism I have received in recent is that my middle finger slides forward occasionally like I'm giving someone the bird.)

Also the drums we play on in drumline are dynasty marching snares I don't remember the exact model but they were bought second hand from the blue devils a few years back and we use Evans gray hybrid heads if that is of any influence
    Also we rehearse and drum for about 4 hours straight and with fresh hands that contributes to wear on skin I assume as well after my hands callus I'm fine..

~thanks

Thanks for the comments all is noted and remembered
    Last edited by Jgess; 05-01-2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Adding info about my techique

User Info Menu

I suppose I should have mentioned I do not get blisters when useing my usual sticks in traditional grip on kit. And the diameter on the sticks are vastly different the sticks we use in my drumline the pro mark system blue txdc50w have a diameter of: .72" where as my usual kit sticks the pro mark Hickory 526 "The Bulb" Billy Ward Wood Tip sticks have a diameter of: .552". Which in hand is pretty dang different. I can post a video and will of me playing and will accept advice all of which is appreciated.

If of any other factor my drumline plays on dynasty marching snares I don't remember the exact model and use gray Evans hybrid batter side heads I don't remember the reso side of the top of my head. Is tuned just like any other well tuned marching snare.

--also the reason I say it's not my technique is due to haveing multiple teachers tell me so, could they be wrong? Yes they can be I know this . teachers often teach their own bad habits or are to lazy to tell you otherwise, but I trust most of those I've learned from who I believe to be credible from experience such as dci, and wgi. I will post a video and get your advice I'll take all I can get the only bad advice is the advice not considered and tried.

~Thanks a drummer
    Last edited by Jgess; 05-02-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Additional information about me/technique

User Info Menu

I have played both ways for 40 years and never had a blister. So it has to be the way you hold your sticks. the only time I get blisters is when using a shovel or labour work without gloves.

User Info Menu

I would tend to blame it on stick size but with no real research or proof. Holding a larger stick, IMHO, will change some finger geometries and that could change positioning, hence, the results you are "feeling." (ie blisters, etc.)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm sitting here holding a stick in traditional grip trying to figure out how you would hold it to get a blister, and I can't find 1 way.
    Rick, post a photo for Jgess. Maybe he can mend his bad ways!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/