Thread: Decisions

User Info Menu

Default Decisions

Hi all! This isnt exactly drum set related, but I have a little decision to make and I was wondering if I could get some advice...

For the past two years I have been involved with a notable youth orchestra as a percussionist. This organization contains four sperate orchestras of varying levels. My first year I was in the second to highest orchestra, and this past year I was in the highest orchestra along with two other percussonists.

These two percussionists are now graduating.Therefore the way the sytem works, if I were to get in next year, I would be the prinicpal percussionist of the highest orchestra.

I'm comtemplating not participating next year. As a high school senior I have started to think about college and what I want to do, and through this experience I have learned that being an Orchestral musician is not on the top of my list.

I understand in the music world as a percussionist, I would have to be able to do everything from jazz, to latin, to orchestral, to marimba etc. And I know i am perfectly capable of playing in an orchestra.

However, I never really look forward going to the rehearsals, and I always think how I could be spending the three and a half hour rehearsal (1:30-5 on Sundays) practicng at home and getting that much better.

I am at cross roads and haven't made a decision. I understand participating once again would be very good for me, but on the other hand, shouldn't I be working on the things I want to do and be good at?

Thanks for reading and all of your input, it is much appreicated!

IS15
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Default Re: Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    shouldn't I be working on the things I want to do and be good at?
    Only you can know what you should do.

You might look in the mirror and talk to that guy.

User Info Menu

I find it helpful to write your thoughts on paper. Make a pro section and a con section. Be honest with your answers.

Also, get the advice of smart people in your life that are close to you and know you well like a parent or older sibling.

User Info Menu

This is of no help to you but-

When I jump up and down really fast I get dizzy.

User Info Menu

I apologise for my recent response. Sometimes I'm an intolerable smartipants and I realised I may have misconstrued the genuine question of the original post. Sorry chaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I apologise for my recent response. Sometimes I'm an intolerable smartipants and I realised I may have misconstrued the genuine question of the original post. Sorry chaps.
    this made me laugh lol

Anyways, Honestly I would stick with it so you can become the top dog at least once and know what that feels like. This is your last year in high-school so I'd finish it out strong. But that's just me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    This is of no help to you but-

When I jump up and down really fast I get dizzy.
    This may be related. Sometimes, when faced with a decision we may engage behavior that serves to distract.

If the problem remains, it means that we prefer the problem to the solution.

We can not know the future for certain. Sometimes it is necessary to place a bet. If the deal turns out good then hold on to it. If the deal is bad then limit the risk, get out of it.

User Info Menu

MY first reaction is to say: if you don't like it, don't do it.

HOWEVER, think about college applications. If you quit and just stay at home and practice, well you can't really put that on your application. Also, it doesn't look great quitting it. Are you going to do something else instead?

Meanwhile, if you stay, you've got a nice highlight on your application, and can even use that in your essays if you can't think of a better topic.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    MY first reaction is to say: if you don't like it, don't do it.

HOWEVER, think about college applications. If you quit and just stay at home and practice, well you can't really put that on your application. Also, it doesn't look great quitting it. Are you going to do something else instead?

Meanwhile, if you stay, you've got a nice highlight on your application, and can even use that in your essays if you can't think of a better topic.
    I agree with this. Obviously only you know how you feel about it. I'll go out on a limb and say that being in the orchestra has probably made you a much better musician than sitting at home playing by yourself. I don't claim to be a good drummer at all, my skillset is still very basic even after 8 years of playing, however I don't think I would be able to play nearly as well as I do if it wasn't for playing with other musicians. Playing with a group of like minded people will just push you to get better and better. You might just learn some new skillset this year with the orchestra. It seems that you have a rare oportunity in the orchestra as these types of programs aren't widely available to most high school aged people and after high school, they are even more rare. As stated before, I think it would look really good on a resume' for college.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I would stick with it, unless the director is completely insufferable. It's been 15 years since I have had the opportunity to play in an orchestral setting, and I miss it dearly. The chance to play timpani, vibes, marimba, and well, with an orchestra just isny there for me anymore, and I REALLY miss timpani. There's always time now to play the drum set and the hand drums, but I just don't have access to the gear that I used to, or the groups I used to play with. Here I am feeling all nostalgic about my orchestral days...........

Unless you can't stand the director. That could change everything.

User Info Menu

You'll have much more difficult decisions throughout your life. You need to make your own choices...not rely on a drum forum to guide you.

User Info Menu

If you intend to study music at the university level, you will end up spending much of your time in orchestral and chamber music settings, unless... you intend on studying at a school that allows you to major in drum set exclusively. For that reason, I would stay where you are and finish out your last year.

If you intend on a non music major but want to play drum set as a hobby, I vote you bail.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.