Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What drumsticks does everyone use?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What drumsticks does everyone use?

Vic Firth Buddy Rich wood tips for me. I like the length and the little extra weight on the shoulder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    I am using the vic firth Jojo Mayer signature sticks and love them
    My favourite so far is the Regal Tip 5B (wood tip). Not too heavy, and easy to hold without slipping.

I'm trying the VF 5B Extreme (wood tip) right now, though. I like the added length, but a bit heavy for my liking.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 5B, and it seems I am not alone in this choice.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

When I was playing I used Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon marching sticks with nylon tips.
    I liked the feel of a bigger stick, and I would only break a couple sticks per show instead of
    Going throw 5 or 6 pairs of smaller sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by killdrum View Post
    When I was playing I used Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon marching sticks with nylon tips.
    I liked the feel of a bigger stick, and I would only break a couple sticks per show instead of
    Going throw 5 or 6 pairs of smaller sticks.
    You have to be joking. I feel sorry for your cymbals and heads, forget about the sticks. Is that why your post is in past tense, because every last piece of gear you owned was smashed to bits by marching sticks?

User Info Menu

5B Nylon tip sticks from either Vater or Vic Firth. Pro Mark hasn't been as reliable in my experience.

Although right now I'm using some Tama wood-tip Corey Friedlander sticks. I had to buy some new sticks before a gig but the shop didn't have any 5B nylon-tip so I just bought whatever was closest in feel.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    5B Nylon tip sticks from either Vater or Vic Firth. Pro Mark hasn't been as reliable in my experience.

Although right now I'm using some Tama wood-tip Corey Friedlander sticks. I had to buy some new sticks before a gig but the shop didn't have any 5B nylon-tip so I just bought whatever was closest in feel.
    I had no idea Tama made drumsticks. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I tend to use a certain pair of sticks for a year before I switch. I've been using 7a's for a while now...maybe I'll step up to 5a soon.

I bought a pack of those Zildjian dipped sticks on Amazon because they were having a deal. No joke, they sent me 8 pairs of sticks I didn't order or pay for...but of course I kept them considering all the money I've spent with them (don't tell on me ). I love these sticks and didn't break a pair for the longest time. Last night, I broke 5 sticks after only playing for an hour. Granted, I was playing hard and loud but 5? Good thing they were free...time to switch.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Dave Weckl Signature Series (the purple ones, not the mustard yellow ones), wood tips. I love them!

User Info Menu

Hey y'all, this is my first time posting on the forum. I right now am using the travis barker swizzle sticks. But i am looking for a drumstick that is actually longer. The barker stick is 0.595" diameter, 16-3/4" length. I would really like a 17-1/2 to a 18 inch stick(preferably a swizzle or double stick). I have a bad shoulder and the extra length would really help. Any suggestions?
    "Musicianship is much more than technique, it demands an attitude of humility in the face of great natural gifts. At the same time it demands the confidence to make the music come alive."
    -Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordCooler2010 View Post
    Hey y'all, this is my first time posting on the forum. I right now am using the travis barker swizzle sticks. But i am looking for a drumstick that is actually longer. The barker stick is 0.595" diameter, 16-3/4" length. I would really like a 17-1/2 to a 18 inch stick(preferably a swizzle or double stick). I have a bad shoulder and the extra length would really help. Any suggestions?
    Welcome to the forum!
    Vic Firth Ahmir Thompson signature. They are .520 in diameter but 17" long. Longer sticks may be hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark Hickory Wood Tip 5B's

Pretty standard, nothing special.

On top of wooden handled brushes, hot rods, broomsticks, and timpani mallets.

I like having different voices.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I usually use the SD4s by Vic Firth, but picked up a pair of the Steve Gadd sticks and I've been digging those big time! Hoping to try some Stanton Moore's sometime. I was also given some AJ5s, they seem cool for light stuff and they're faaasstt.

User Info Menu

Zildjian 5a Nylon tip dip stick (rubber coated grip)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    I usually use the SD4s by Vic Firth

SD4 Combos for me too! I like maple sticks, not sure how anyone plays oak. They kill my hands after a solid decade of playing with maple. Last time I used an oak stick I could barely move my hands the next day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    SD4 Combos for me too! I like maple sticks, not sure how anyone plays oak. They kill my hands after a solid decade of playing with maple. Last time I used an oak stick I could barely move my hands the next day.
    Is oak very heavy or do you feel vibrations? Never used em! I've noticed a big difference on occasion going back to hickory. Heavier for sure. Not sure if the vibration factor is more or less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Vic Firth Ahmir Thompson signature. They are .520 in diameter but 17" long. Longer sticks may be hard to find.
    thanks man, ill check them out!! Being injured has really hurt my playing so any advantage i can get will help!
    "Musicianship is much more than technique, it demands an attitude of humility in the face of great natural gifts. At the same time it demands the confidence to make the music come alive."
    -Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

User Info Menu

Is oak very heavy or do you feel vibrations? Never used em! I've noticed a big difference on occasion going back to hickory. Heavier for sure. Not sure if the vibration factor is more or less.
    Hickory has better shock-absorbing qualities than oak. I think it's the perfect stick wood.

I use extra-long 5A nylon tips. Depending on stage volume requirements, I go back and forth between Regal Tip 5AX and Vater Power 5A. Vic Firth makes a nice stretched 5A, too - the Extreme 5A (nylon or wood tip).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordCooler2010 View Post
    thanks man, ill check them out!! Being injured has really hurt my playing so any advantage i can get will help!
    Check out the stick size, 1A - it hovers right around 17", and isn't too hard to find. Vater, Vic Firth and Silverfox all make fine versions of it.

Regal Tip used to do an Alex Van Halen signature model that went 17 3/4"; don't know if they're made any more.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Phil View Post
    Hickory has better shock-absorbing qualities than oak. I think it's the perfect stick wood.

I use extra-long 5A nylon tips. Depending on stage volume requirements, I go back and forth between Regal Tip 5AX and Vater Power 5A. Vic Firth makes a nice stretched 5A, too - the Extreme 5A (nylon or wood tip).
    I won't go to oak then (not that I planned on it). Maple seems hollow, but I dig their lightness. I won't lie, I did two sets last night, one was a light blues thing then a mini-big band set (two horns, harmonica, two guitars) and wow those hickories really kill with volume!

One thing I've noticed with maple is they don't chip like hickory, they just split in a diagonal manner. EVERY SD4 I've broken (out of 4 years using them or so, probably broken two) has broken like that, and all of the ones I have that look heavily used have issues like that. Hickory? Wood everywhere!

User Info Menu

I won't go to oak then (not that I planned on it). Maple seems hollow, but I dig their lightness. I won't lie, I did two sets last night, one was a light blues thing then a mini-big band set (two horns, harmonica, two guitars) and wow those hickories really kill with volume!

One thing I've noticed with maple is they don't chip like hickory, they just split in a diagonal manner. EVERY SD4 I've broken (out of 4 years using them or so, probably broken two) has broken like that, and all of the ones I have that look heavily used have issues like that. Hickory? Wood everywhere!
    Maple has a nice, quick, snappy feel, for sure. For me, though, it's a balancing act between snap and projection. If I'm not getting maximum cut for my effort, I feel that I'm working too hard. It's really such a personal thing, though - that's the beauty of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Phil View Post
    Maple has a nice, quick, snappy feel, for sure. For me, though, it's a balancing act between snap and projection. If I'm not getting maximum cut for my effort, I feel that I'm working too hard. It's really such a personal thing, though - that's the beauty of it!
    I never saw the point of multiple sticks until about a week or so ago. First, I was getting tired from using the Gadd sticks for the first time. But, then going to a show and the first set was super quiet but I still needed to lay into it? Well, there ya go. Point taken!

User Info Menu

At the moment, I'm giving the Vic Firth Shogun 5B a whirl. So far, they seem to be better at resisting chipped tips than any of the hickory sticks I had played previously.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I'm extremely partial to Promark PW5AWs, and the PW757W Neil Peart signatures. Back in the day, I extensively used Promark 5As before they were acquired by D'Addario. I feel that stick is the perfect balance of weight and size. I needed a stick size that is versatile since I often switch through a wide range of dynamics and tempos.

Since my long hiatus, I'm new to these PW5AW shiri kashi oak sticks, but so far I really love them!
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I have a huge variety of sticks, as 'small' (in diameter) as the ProMark Neil Peart oak 747 (both wood and nylon tip), to the ProMark oak 2B. I happen to love oak sticks, though I have a lot of hickory sticks, too. However, I love the density and weight of oak, despite the vibration. And for some reason, though I have very tiny hands, I find the 2Bs to be the stick that feels best to me.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-18-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare