Thread: S-Hoop Vs 3mm Triple Flange

User Info Menu

Default S-Hoop Vs 3mm Triple Flange

I'm thinking about replacing the 2.3mm hoops on my Sonor Black Mamba 13x7 maple snare. Ideally I would like to put die cast hoops on it, but the cost is prohibitive. I'd like to dry out the tone as much as possible for clarity and improve my rimshot.

My main alternatives are S-Hoops and 3mm triple flange. Has anyone tried both? Which hoop is stiffer? Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you for your time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: S-Hoop Vs 3mm Triple Flange

Keep saving. If you don't like either of your "Plan B" hoops, you'll end up with 2 hoops you don't want, zero cash in your pocket, and a drum that doesn't sound the way you want it to. Suppress your urge for a quick fix and get what you really want.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianAvalanche View Post
    I'm thinking about replacing the 2.3mm hoops on my Sonor Black Mamba 13x7 maple snare. Ideally I would like to put die cast hoops on it, but the cost is prohibitive. I'd like to dry out the tone as much as possible for clarity and improve my rimshot.

My main alternatives are S-Hoops and 3mm triple flange. Has anyone tried both? Which hoop is stiffer? Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you for your time.
    Could you achieve the same results by experimenting with different heads? An Evans Genera Dry head may be worth trying (the ones with the circle of tiny vent holes close to the rim).

User Info Menu

If you want to dry out the tone, heads or muffling will do that, then one of your other options should give you a better rimshot, at least that's what they say. S-hoops have gotten very favorable reviews.

User Info Menu

I would say 3mm would be closer to cast in terms of sound. However, changing the heads may be more effective and feasible than changing hoops.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianAvalanche View Post

Thank you for your time.
    Look for diecast out on the used market.

I got two used 8 lug 13 inch die cast for $50 bucks at Starving Musician in San Jose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPnhmT_2ro
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I agree, the head change could get you what you are looking for.

I have S-hoops on two of three of my snares and love them.............to me, they are the perfect combination of die-cast / triple flange..................best of both worlds........... and they were cheap.

I have S-Hoops on my Black Beauty.................looks and sounds much better

User Info Menu

Yes, I was wondering where the Die cast fit in there. I guess it would be closer to the triple flange.

User Info Menu

I agree with all the above. A change of heads is where I'd start first

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: S-Hoop Vs 3mm Triple Flange

How many lugs are on your snare?

User Info Menu

S hoops? Pictures?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Heres a link to an older thread on here discussing S hoops.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...oop-22264.html
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice hoops. I'm not a big rim shotter any way. Just for an accent now and then. the 3 flange and die cast are fine for me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Heres a link to an older thread on here discussing S hoops.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...oop-22264.html
    Yes that thread is excellent. late8 knows how to explain something almost like a teacher with pictures, circles, arrows etc. I miss him around here. He is such a cool guy

User Info Menu

To add even more confusion to the discussion, Pearl has something called a fat tone hoop, which is different than all the others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6GZVdzkv4
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Of what I have read the fat hoops are a cross between the triple flanged and the Die Casts.
    From the pearl site
    Super Hoop II hoops are precision formed from heavy duty
    2.3mm steel
    Triple-flanged and engraved with
    the Super Hoop II logo.
    Fat Tone hoops are low mass
    1.6mm hoops with hemmed and welded edges for
    strength and rigidity
    Master Cast are the finest die cast hoops available
    and feature the perfect blend of thickness and mass
    to improve the depth, clarity, and focus of toms and
    snare drums.

User Info Menu

To anyone wondering, I bought used, generic die cast and have loved every second of them! I've been playing them about 2 years now.