Thread: Review: Ludwig 6X13 Supralite Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Review: Ludwig 6X13 Supralite Snare Drum

While playing around with the Taye Studio Wood Hoop snare in GC last week I noticed a shiny new chrome snare that somebody had unboxed and left on the floor untuned and looking quite lonesome and neglected. It was a Ludwig 6X13" chrome-steel-shelled Supralite, a drum I'd never seen before. Out of curiosity I borrowed a drum key and went to work on tuning the drum. Truth be told, though, it really wasn't any work at all. With medium tension on the resonant and batter heads (both Ludwig branded) - which took only a few turns - the little snare was cracking the way you'd expect a piccalo to crack, but with actual body and depth - not the thin, one dimensional sound I'd expected. This was the first time I'd ever played a 13" snare, and I was impressed.

Out of curiosity I lined up the other four 13" snares on hand - an OCDP, a couple of Pork Pies, and a Mapex. All of them had the same type of crack as the Ludwig, with varying levels of body and tone depending on the wood type and shell construction. The Pork Pie 7X13 was especially noteworthy. So I was seeing an appealing aspect of thirteen inch snares that I've essentially ignored for all these years.

But I liked the Ludwig best of all, probably because most of the snares I've owned over the years have been steel, and I truly like that sound, especially the little Ludwig's take on it. I forced myself to leave the store without the drum because I just didn't want to spend any money. A few days later, though, I was back in the GC and after hunting down the Ludwig - which was back on the floor - I noticed that it was on sale for $159. I took it home.

I have an easy way to describe the way this drum sounds now that I've tinkered with it a bit. Remember the sound of Bill Bruford's snare on the Yes song "Roundabout?" From my vantage point behind the kit, that's the sound I'm reminded of. Construction seems quite quality (shell is 1.5mm, hoops are 2.3mm) with very deep chrome plating. The only component I see that concerns me in any way is the throwoff. We'll see. One other remark: this is the first time I've used Ludwig heads since the early 1980s, and I must say that there have been significant improvements in their sound quality and apparent build quality. I know nothing about the current Ludwig head lines, but the ones on this snare simply sing. I'll have to look in to them again.

The Ludwig 6X13" Supralite snare drum is currently available only from Guitar Center.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: Ludwig 6X13 Supralite Snare Drum

Ludwig actually make their own heads and they sound great on Ludwig drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The Ludwig med snare head works great on my supraphonic
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Update: A couple of weekends ago, my graduating class had a reunion. My friend's band played for a couple of hours, then my old band from the sixties reunited to play for a set. I offered that first band's drummer use my drum set and he agreed. I wanted to hear my set out front. Because we were using a rather small mixer, none of the instruments were miked. The little Ludwig snare simply sang, and had no problem at all cutting thru the mix. The extra mid-high frequencies and accentuated "pop" of the 13" snare was, to me, a big step forward in the snare sound from the audience perspective. There was no loss of the body that I've come to expect from my larger snares (this was my biggest concern). In short, the sound from the audience perspective was almost the same as my larger snares, but with a serious infusion of snap and pop. That's the sound I've been looking for for years. The Ludwig definitely stays on the drum set!

GeeDeeEmm

Edit: I tried to post some short video clips from facebook but have thus far had no success. As soon as I figure this out I'll give you a firsthand example of the snare in action.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    One other remark: this is the first time I've used Ludwig heads since the early 1980s, and I must say that there have been significant improvements in their sound quality and apparent build quality. I know nothing about the current Ludwig head lines, but the ones on this snare simply sing. I'll have to look in to them again.

The Ludwig 6X13" Supralite snare drum is currently available only from Guitar Center.

GeeDeeEmm
    +1 I am a fan of Ludwig drum heads. I think the resos are quite decent and the Heavy coated batters sound great on the toms - at least, Ludwig toms

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful little drum... after trying to get my DW maple to sound good for months and being unable to do so no matter what heads or tuning i use someone loaned me a chad smith steel drum which sounded good instantly. I need to look into picking up one of these suprelites.. smoking deal too..

P.S. just curious if anyone has tried the 8" version?

What i'm dying for is the sound of bernards snare in this clip.. which i don't think metal will do it.. but i have no idea how to get it
    https://youtu.be/YYfWpUvtJhs?t=349
    Last edited by Icetech; 06-18-2015 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Just bought the same thing from MF.. $165 shipped and a pair of sticks.. so not a bad deal.. hope i like it I probably shoulda went with a 14" though.. no spare 13" heads laying around.. oh well an excuse to buy more stuff