Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overplayed songs

User Info Menu

Default Re: Overplayed songs

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    For me it used to be any Elton John song, especially Philadelphia Freedom.

all the best...
    Rocket man was mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    There's a music station that I listen to in the morning on my drive in to work. Every morning, same thing....The Cars.

Every.... friggen... morning.... z
    So, I hopped in the car to run some errands at lunch time. Turn on the radio. What's the first thing I hear?

"ah well, you might think I'm crazy, hanging around with you...."

Me: :::sigh::: turn off radio.

Stop the car, get out and go run my errand. Returned from my errand after about 30 minutes, get back in the car. Turn the radio back on...

"Who's gonna drive you home, tonight?"

I couldn't change stations fast enough.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I play in a band that plays most of the songs on most of everyone's list.............lol We are billed as a band that plays the music that nobody plays any longer. We get a great response from the crowds that we perform in front of when the oldies start rolling out. One of our signature songs is Freebird. It's great when you get 40 or 50 people playing air guitar or air drums in front of you.

Of course, we also live in an area that features beach music alot, so they really love the change of pace that we provide.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    . Whenever you hear it on the radio, you change the station.
    What is this radio that you speak of?

Is it from the olden days like the phone book?

User Info Menu

Anyone tht has ever worked retail has had to endure the the same six hour playlist day in and day out. After several years of retail, all of the day to day songs become overplayed, really happy I'm in outside sales now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    Anyone tht has ever worked retail has had to endure the the same six hour playlist day in and day out. After several years of retail, all of the day to day songs become overplayed, really happy I'm in outside sales now.
    Funny. I actually went grocery shopping when it was dark out. To my surprise, they were playing Time by pink floyd. Pretty interesting song for a grocery store. Even with the roto tom solo at the beginning.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I can't and won't listen to the radio anymore. I stopped years ago. Why? Because 98% of the music they play in mindless repetitive crap. No offense to anyone that enjoys the radio, to each their own. I'm sure most if you would hate the music I listen to every day. I prefer music a bit more complex that presents a challenge and is interesting. My motto is, if it's not on the radio, I will probably like it.

I played popular cover tunes 48 weeks a year 4 nights a week and if I never hear one again it will be to soon. Put it this way, I stopped playing out at age 31 because I was so sick and frankly bored with the simplistic music the masses demanded. Very rarely did a popular cover song present a challenge drumming wise for me. Yeah Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio were great to play, but that's only two songs a night, and most nights we didn't even play them because the dance floor cleared. Oh you got to fill the dance floor. I say horse hockey!

Sometimes I end up on a job site where one of the other trades has a radio playing, all I can say is, I'm glad I have my iPhone and earbuds.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 05-27-2015 at 05:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I can't and won't listen to the radio anymore. I stopped years ago. Why? Because 98% of the music they play in mindless repetitive crap. No offense to anyone that enjoys the radio, to each their own. I'm sure most if you would hate the music I listen to every day. I prefer music a bit more complex that presents a challenge and is interesting. My motto is, if it's not on the radio, I will probably like it.

I played popular cover tunes 48 weeks a year 4 nights a week and if I never hear one again it will be to soon. Put it this way, I stopped playing out at age 31 because I was so sick and frankly bored with the simplistic music the masses demanded. Very rarely did a popular cover song present a challenge drumming wise for me. Yeah Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio were great to play, but that's only two songs a night, and most nights we didn't even play them because the dance floor cleared. Oh you got to fill the dance floor. I say horse hockey!

Sometimes I end up on a job site where one of the other trades has a radio playing, all I can say is, I'm glad I have my iPhone and earbuds.
    I can't listen to the spirit of radio or limelight anymore. I just can't.

-Mike

User Info Menu

On Sirius radio I listen to music of the 60-70-80's and what drives me nuts is Herb Albert with Taste of Honey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    On Sirius radio I listen to music of the 60-70-80's and what drives me nuts is Herb Albert with Taste of Honey
    I used to play that song in a band I was in. Lol

User Info Menu

I honestly quit listening to music on the radio years ago. Too many commercials. I'd rather hear Stairway To Heaven again than another Erectile Disfunction commercial though.

Out here in the city it's terrible. I bet for every one song they play 3 or 4 commercials.

Forget it.

MP3 or Sat Radio for me.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Stairway To Heaven would make the perfect erectile dysfunction medication theme song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I honestly quit listening to music on the radio years ago. Too many commercials. I'd rather hear Stairway To Heaven again than another Erectile Disfunction commercial though.

Out here in the city it's terrible. I bet for every one song they play 3 or 4 commercials.

Forget it.

MP3 or Sat Radio for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Stairway To Heaven would make the perfect erectile dysfunction medication theme song.
    Got pills for that. Pharmacist asked if I needed a bag for that. I said no, she's not that ugly.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-28-2015 at 03:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Guys, SiriusXM radio has no commercials and you can choose the era of the music you love whether it be Jazz, Rock, Punk, Heavy Metal, Country, Classical etc. Great sounding music cause it is in HD. I have it in my car and you an also download on app. Just thought I would mention that and also it is not free. SiriusXM comes on most new cars and has a free trial of 3 months.

User Info Menu

We can get there here too. (SiriusXM). I'm seriously considering it on my next car.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Internet Piracy all the way!

Freebird a song people never hear anymore?! It's a great song and cover, but pretty common.

With covers, I see two approaches: 1. You're paid to play the cover as close to the original as possible, so that's what you do. 2. You make it your own and change it.

One of my bandmates thinks covers should be as close to the original as possible. The problem is that he usually chooses male voices when our singer is female, the second is who cares if it's different from the original? Make it your own, make it unique, and it doesn't matter if it's been over played, people will hear your version for the first time!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    We can get there here too. (SiriusXM). I'm seriously considering it on my next car.

all the best...
    It is Satellite radio so it is available just about anywhere. I mean I live in the mountains and I do lose the signal for a minute or so but then it comes right back. It would be perfect on the island. Kay visit their site cause you can get their radio for your old car or wait for one in your next new car. I love radio now and sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Now that you mention it......I really think that IS what the song is about. Led Zeppelin often used subliminal techniques and even back-masking in their songs.

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
    When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
    With a word she can get what she came for.
    Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
    'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
    In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
    Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
    And my spirit is crying for leaving.
    In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
    Then the piper will lead us to reason.
    And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
    And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
    It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on.
    And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
    The piper's calling you to join him
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
    Our shadows taller than our soul.
    There walks a lady we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show
    How everything still turns to gold.
    And if you listen very hard
    The tune will come to you at last.
    When all are one and one is all
    To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I remember the girls back in the 70's going all crazy and sexy over that song. Those where the days free love, peace .

User Info Menu

And STDs. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I think the absolute worst is Christmas music. Although I enjoy some of it, it can get really tiring by the time the season wraps up.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Guys, SiriusXM radio has no commercials and you can choose the era of the music you love whether it be Jazz, Rock, Punk, Heavy Metal, Country, Classical etc. Great sounding music cause it is in HD. I have it in my car and you an also download on app. Just thought I would mention that and also it is not free. SiriusXM comes on most new cars and has a free trial of 3 months.
    I use it in my f-150. Once you've gone to satellite radio, there's no going back. I love the classic rewind and classic vinyl stations.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I use it in my f-150. Once you've gone to satellite radio, there's no going back. I love the classic rewind and classic vinyl stations.
    I agree and so much to choose from unlimited hours of music while on the road and like mentioned best radio sound ever without having to spend a lot of money on a powerful audio system

User Info Menu

Journey
    Cars
    Boston
    Queen....that's the rotation on free radio in my town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Now that you mention it......I really think that IS what the song is about. Led Zeppelin often used subliminal techniques and even back-masking in their songs.

You just brought back an ancient memory.

It was 1978 and we were looking for a new guitarists. In the olden days you would check the New Times (local free weekly magazine) ads.

This guy comes over with a brand new Les Paul and a brand new amp but he can't really play or sing.

In talking, he seems obsessed with "Stairway to Heaven" and it's meaning. I tell him I hate the song and have no idea what it's about.

On leaving, he insists on giving us $20 to go buy the record, listen to it (like I hadn't heard it 20K times) and understand the deep meaning.

We spent the 20 on lunch

And, I still don't know or care what it's about.