Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Added More SKB Cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Added More SKB Cases

Was gonna up load this forever ago cause someone asked. My entire rack and any attachments all fit into one SKB roller case. Makes for a lot of ease. Plus no folding legs or trying to position things all night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Was gonna up load this forever ago cause someone asked. My entire rack and any attachments all fit into one SKB roller case. Makes for a lot of ease. Plus no folding legs or trying to position things all night.

Very cool case Spaz! How wide is this case?

User Info Menu

looks like a good kid
    He is...thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Very cool case Spaz! How wide is this case?
    I'll have to measure but my guess is like 16/18" wide? Length...

I'll measure it on thursday

User Info Menu

A good friend of mine has a vintage Gretsch kit. He had gigs on 2 consecutive nights, so he decided to leave them in back of his truck (he has a locking topper). On the day of the 2nd gig, a lady ran a red light and he T-boned her. The force of impact caused everything to fly forward into the front wall of the box. He had fiber hard cases, but it still severely damaged some of the shells. If he had quality plastic cases with plenty of internal padding, it may have made a difference.

My truck has the hard Plastic bed liner and things slide around very easily. I always try to pack everything as far forward as possible and then secure it with a 2x4 that I drop into the "pockets" that are molded into the side of the bed liner. Not many people realize what those pockets are for, and even fewer use them. A regular tie-down strap can be used as well. Anything that will keep the items from sliding around will help minimize the chance for severe damage. When we load for a gig, my drums always go in last. That way if I hit a deer on the way home at 2:30AM, my drums aren't between 1000Lbs of amps & speakers and the front wall of the truck box.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My truck has the hard Plastic bed liner and things slide around very easily. I always try to pack everything as far forward as possible and then secure it with a 2x4 that I drop into the "pockets" that are molded into the side of the bed liner. Not many people realize what those pockets are for, and even fewer use them.
    You must be referring to these side pockets? I assumed the slots were designed to hold 2x6 planks to create shelving across the width of the truck liner but I can see how the slots could hold 2x4s to use as dividers to provide separation and protect the load. Thanks for the great ideas you always bring to this forum.

User Info Menu

Yes, but see the vertical slots beside them? If you turn the 2x6 or 2x4 on edge, it should also slide down the vertical slots...all the way to the bottom. I keep a 2x4 in the very back slot of mine....about 24" in front of the tailgate. Since I installed a topper, I got tired of having to crawl all the way up into the front of the box to retrieve groceries (especially canned vegetables) that slid forward on the way home. Now, I just place the bags between the tailgate and the 2x4 and they stay put! Getting old sucks.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yes, but see the vertical slots beside them? If you turn the 2x6 or 2x4 on edge, it should also slide down the vertical slots...all the way to the bottom. I keep a 2x4 in the very back slot of mine....about 24" in front of the tailgate. Since I installed a topper, I got tired of having to crawl all the way up into the front of the box to retrieve groceries (especially canned vegetables) that slid forward on the way home. Now, I just place the bags between the tailgate and the 2x4 and they stay put! Getting old sucks.
    No, I didn't see the slots located behind it. Holy cow. That will make the retrieval of goods so much easier to manage. Thanks for pointing that out!

User Info Menu

Bumping this up for an update on the two hardware cases after seven local weekend gigs:

The brunt of the wear and tear on the hardware utility box was on the pull out handle:

Deep gashes and scratches cover the entire length of the handle due to the box having to rest on it as the box is loaded/unloaded:

The footing on the box has already started to deform:

User Info Menu

continued...

The cymbal hardware box has lost a footing:

Both cases were transported in the trunk of my car or the back of my lined truck bed so it safe to assume that the wear and tear was due to placing the cases on rough pavement or sliding it in and out of the back of the truck.

User Info Menu

All of those rubber feet have come off my hardware case too...

User Info Menu

All of those rubber feet have come off my hardware case too...
    Here's my dilemma Zack. The SKB cases have a life time warranty so I should be covered but the hassle to box and ship the case back to Orange County CA is going to cost me time and a few bucks.

User Info Menu

when I sent in my claim for the handles they shipped me all the pieces. I assume for the feet they would send you all new feet and you'd have to rerivet them yourself. Cheaper than shipping a box there and back for sure.

User Info Menu

when I sent in my claim for the handles they shipped me all the pieces. I assume for the feet they would send you all new feet and you'd have to rerivet them yourself. Cheaper than shipping a box there and back for sure.
    Didn't think of that. Makes sense...

User Info Menu

yeah and they shipped it fast with no hassle. Was pretty cool. Then I just had to install the new stuff but it was easy. Not sure with the feet though as those are rivets I believe.

User Info Menu

I picked up an old used SKB case last year, longer (taller?) than the one in the OP, and I love it. Holds my three cymbal stands, two of which are old heavy Tama boom styles. And all three have an extra arm attached. Plus my hi hat, snare stand and throne.

And I haven't put anything in the top section yet its plenty heavy now as it is.

It fits across the back seat of my four door sedan, and it even barely fit in my old sub compact previously.

Love it!