Thread: Thoughts on the Zildjian Gen-16 AE Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Thoughts on the Zildjian Gen-16 AE Cymbals?

Any thoughts on the Zildjian Gen-16 AE Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thoughts on the Zildjian Gen-16 AE Cymbals?

They look extremely cool, on their own sound pretty good too, haven't played around with them, but i know you can only alter their sound, not change it completely.

Ultimately, I don't think you can successfully pull of a hybrid a/e drums, you always have to favor one side or the other, in this case having the cymbals sound good (in the Pearl case, having the Edrums sound good).

So if you gave me a set I would def use them (unlike the pearl, I would sell it), if I had all the money in the world I'd buy a set, but for that price, you can get some really good cymbals new, so I'd give it a pass...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I have them and use them. They are great for practice and feel much better than any e-cymbals

here is the post on them:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=33374

User Info Menu

I agree, much better feel, I just don't think they are worth the investment, but everyone's got their own budget

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

Ultimately, I don't think you can successfully pull of a hybrid a/e drums, you always have to favor one side or the other, in this case having the cymbals sound good (in the Pearl case, having the Edrums sound good).
    I actually tried it once. I took acoustic cymbals and used them on my Roland electric drums, mostly due to the e-cymbals not having enough volume when playing with the band.

It was weird but worked.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I actually tried it once. I took acoustic cymbals and used them on my Roland electric drums, mostly due to the e-cymbals not having enough volume when playing with the band.

It was weird but worked.
    That's not entirely what I meant, I think you can do hybrids that way, what I'm saying is that if you look at the Zildjian's Gen16s or the Pearl Pro-lives, jthey are trying to give you something from both worlds and in the end, I feel they don't deliver. Zildjian was smart in making their product more acoustic and missing out on the advantages of ecymbals, whereas Pearl gives you edrums the size of adrums...

Assuming you get the volume levels right, acymbals with edrums should sound quite ok...

User Info Menu

So basically I'm asking this:
    Can de Gen16's match for example a Roland cymbal? Or is there still a difference?

User Info Menu

well you really can't compare them because they are two very different things.

The Roland (or yammy or whatever ecymbal) is just a drum trigger in the shape and relative density of a regular cymbal (to give a similar feel). You could use the bell section to trigger a cowbell sound, or any other effect.

The Gen16s are cymbals that can have their sound altered, but not actually changed. So you could make it darker or brighter, but you will never be able to make the crash sound like something other than a crash.

It really depends what you want to do with them. For my needs and interests, I prefer to have a pure ekit, but I also like messing around with the triggers a bit, i think the gen16s are louder...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    well you really can't compare them because they are two very different things.
    +1.........two different animals.

The sounds from the Roland cymbals are limited only to your module.

The Gen16 are "Mic'ed" not triggered........sounds are limited comparatively.

Where the Gen16 cymbals shine, is in the "Feel" and "appearance". ..........IMO the worst part about e-cymbals is they don't feel anywhere close to an actual cymbal.

User Info Menu

I agree, even tho my the cymbals sound pretty good out of my module (and its the low level one too), the cymbals and HH are the weak part. I don't mind missing the feel as much as the sound and dynamics. As for appearance, yea, the Gen16s look pretty awesome, I personally hate when the ecymbal is painted gold and looks like the cheapest, crappiest cymbal ever made.

User Info Menu

Picked up a set of Gen-16s a couple weeks ago. I have to say I really like playing them. The feel is just like acoustic cymbals, and compared to rubber cymbal pads and the heavy-feel they have when striking, I can play longer on the Zildjians without feeling it in my wrists/hands. My family says the acoustic sound of the Gen-16s is much better than annoying "thunk" of rubber cymbals and they don't notice it as much.

But how do they sound? I'm using an acoustic kit with Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads with triggers and these cymbals blend nicely when playing unplugged. Plugged in and going full electric, I rate the cymbal sound as good but not great. They can't duplicate an acoustic cymbal sound perfectly but it is very acceptable, especially with other instruments or music. It took a lot of experimenting with positioning of the sensor on each cymbal to get the sound dialed in but they sound good when you get it right. I'm guessing that a lack of adequate time spent on this step may account for some of the comments that are critical of these Zildjians.

Combine decent sound with a feel that blows rubber cymbal pads away (it's not even close) and I love these things.

User Info Menu

I recently got a DTX532k kit and I am debating whether to gig with it, especially in small rooms. I brought the kit to practice last week and it was a little hard to hear, even coming through 2 monitors. The cymbals were especially low in volume and I had to adjust to not not having the sound come directly from the drums themselves. I had hoped that an ekit would make it easier to manage stage volume, but it didn't seem to. I changed the settings so the cymbals are at the same volume level as the rest of the pads, but for the time being I think I will stick with acoustic kits for gigs. The Gen-16s are intriguing though. If the price weren't so prohibitive, I'd have to consider them.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Watch E-bay - got mine on there for about 65% of new, although they still weren't cheap. But then again, neither are top-of-the-line rubber e-cymbal pads. I run my drum module into a mixer and the cymbals go into the mixer on a separate channel so I can mix the volume of each. Works well because I have the volume on the cymbal slider quite a bit higher than the drums to get the mix similar to my acoustic kit. I'm like you though - live, I'll go with the acoustic. My e-kit is for practice. Although I guess I could see a small intimate gig with the e-kit. With the A-to-E kit and Gen-16s, it sure looks like an acoustic kit so no one would know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasDeVriez View Post
    Any thoughts on the Zildjian Gen-16 AE Cymbals?
    $$$$$$

Personally, I got used to the rubber pad for the HH and ride and I don't really care how the crashes feel (like plastic )