Thread: 1 up, 2 down - opinions on FT sizes

User Info Menu

Default 1 up, 2 down - opinions on FT sizes

I have a 2 up, 1 down configuration: 8x10” TT, 9x12” TT, 13x16” Hanging FT, and 18x20” BD.

I would like to eventually own a second kit in a 1 up, 2 down configuration (with two FTs as opposed to hanging FTs).

So far, I have decided it should consist of: 8x12” TT, 14x14” FT, and 18x22” BD; however, I am not certain what size the second FT should be.

Using the same proportional increase in sizes from my kit (2”-4”-4”), the second FT should be 18”.

I would appreciate your thoughts/opinions regarding the best size for the second FT, specifically whether you would prefer a 14x16” FT or 16x18” FT.

(I aspire to play blues/rock/jazz. I like having five voices.)

Thank you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1 up, 2 down - opinions on FT sizes

I'd go with a 16x16.

User Info Menu

You will get more definition out of some shallower floor toms. My favourite size is 15" X 12" deep. on my Masterworks kit I have a 14X12 and a 15X12 mounted down low on a rack. They work really well together. I find 16's get a little too boomy in the low end, but I also tune them way down as low as they can go.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I'd go with a 16". A lot easier to carry round when you play out!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Don't get too hung up on having proportional size increases on your toms (like 2"-2"-4" or whatever). The bottom line is, if it sounds good it is good). There are plenty of old 12/13/16FT and 13/16FT/18FT kits out there that still sound great. 95% of it is tuning anyway. The bigger the drum, the more "boomy" it gets and more difficult it can be to control. I've heard that 18"FT can be hard to tame. They are certainly hard to find and expensive when you do. The most common new config you'll find is 22BD/12up/14FT/16FT. Depths usually vary by manufacturer, so theres not a lot you can do about that.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 06-14-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

if you have a 14x14, I would get a 16x16.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If you decide to go 16", you might consider playing a 14x16 and a 16x16 along side the 14x14 and then choose the one that you like the best.

User Info Menu

DW Performance Series has 14"x12" and 14"x14", 16"x14" and 18"x16" sizes available. As I understand it, the price of these drums is far more reasonable than the Collector's series due to the lack of available customization, but the quality is the same as the higher end line. Sizes look to be in the ballpark of what yo are looking for. Just a thought.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

My opinion (others will disagree) 18" makes a better bass drum than a floor tom. At low level playing, they sound thin. I have an 18 FT and it became a bass drum and sounds great with a beater hitting it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've got the 16x16 FT and love it. Nice loud sound. For me if I were to get another FT it would be a 14x16 so this way the sound would be different but still close enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No Me Metro View Post
    I have a 2 up, 1 down configuration: 8x10” TT, 9x12” TT, 13x16” Hanging FT, and 18x20” BD.

I would like to eventually own a second kit in a 1 up, 2 down configuration (with two FTs as opposed to hanging FTs).

So far, I have decided it should consist of: 8x12” TT, 14x14” FT, and 18x22” BD; however, I am not certain what size the second FT should be.

Using the same proportional increase in sizes from my kit (2”-4”-4”), the second FT should be 18”.

I would appreciate your thoughts/opinions regarding the best size for the second FT, specifically whether you would prefer a 14x16” FT or 16x18” FT.

(I aspire to play blues/rock/jazz. I like having five voices.)

Thank you.
    I would go 16x14.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Don't get too hung up on having proportional size increases on your toms (like 2"-2"-4" or whatever). The bottom line is, if it sounds good it is good). There are plenty of old 12/13/16FT and 13/16FT/18FT kits out there that still sound great. 95% of it is tuning anyway. The bigger the drum, the more "boomy" it gets and more difficult it can be to control. I've heard that 18"FT can be hard to tame. They are certainly hard to find and expensive when you do. The most common new config you'll find is 22BD/12up/14FT/16FT. Depths usually vary by manufacturer, so theres not a lot you can do about that.
    I agree with Brian on everything except the 18's being hard to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I've got the 16x16 FT and love it. Nice loud sound. For me if I were to get another FT it would be a 14x16 so this way the sound would be different but still close enough.
    I agree with Gilles on the 16x14

My 1st set of Ludwigs were 13x9, 16x16, 18x16, and a 24x14 BD. The snare was a Supraphonic. I learned how to tune on that set.

I like to keep the depth of my toms the same, whether up toms or FT's.
    I think it makes tuning easier.

If you think a 13x9 or a 18x anything, is going to be hard to tune, then it will be. If you treat them like any other tom, you won't have a problem.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the responses.

User Info Menu

I'm playing one-up, two-down with tom sizes 13, 15 & 18.
    The 18 is the most difficult to tune, for sure.
    But when I get all three of them right, it sure is sweet.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have just made the switch to a 1 up 2 down and went with the following:

20" Kick
    12x9 Rack
    14x 12 Floor
    16x14 Floor

I find that the floor toms have that balance of low tone but good projection due to their proportionally shorter dimensions.

Ultimately, there are no right or wrongs. Play what sounds good to you and the material you play. But, in all cases, be mindful of what it sounds like out front and through mics; don't simply rely on the sound when sat at the throne.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

1 up 2 down is a way of life .. Embrace the square floor toms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I have just made the switch to a 1 up 2 down and went with the following:

20" Kick
    12x9 Rack
    14x 12 Floor
    16x14 Floor

I find that the floor toms have that balance of low tone but good projection due to their proportionally shorter dimensions.

Ultimately, there are no right or wrongs. Play what sounds good to you and the material you play. But, in all cases, be mindful of what it sounds like out front and through mics; don't simply rely on the sound when sat at the throne.
    If I were to go back to using two floor toms with what I know today, I would pair my 12x9 rack with these sizes ...

User Info Menu

I use 2 FT. A 12 x 15 hanging and a 16 on legs. Enjoy not only the tone from each but also the mounting. No issues either way.

The 12 x 15 was a rack tom originally but way too much weight to be mounted on a bass drum.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I use a 12X8 up and a 13X9 hanging and 16X16 with legs. But that's only because I don't have a 14". Still sounds great!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I use a 12X8 up and a 13X9 hanging and 16X16 with legs. But that's only because I don't have a 14". Still sounds great!
    I used that for a couple of demos many years ago, and the 13 to 16 is a magic combo that was ruined by wedging a 14" in between. I actually like a 10/13/16 these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No Me Metro View Post

Thank you.
    Highly recommend 14x14 with a 16x16. I find the two sizes really give a lot of flexibility in the tuning intervals you can use between the two. I think an 18" would not be as flexible in that regard, if paired with the 14", IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post
    I used that for a couple of demos many years ago, and the 13 to 16 is a magic combo that was ruined by wedging a 14" in between. I actually like a 10/13/16 these days.
    I love that screen name.........
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I have two sets I use a 13" up, 14" mounted and 16"x16" floor. With Another set I use 10"x15" on a stand and 16"x18" floor tom. They all work fine for me. Just according to how much you want to haul around. The 18" is a big drum. I think 14" and 16" works well for most all situations.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post
    Love the 13" down!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a 14X14 and I a 16X16 and I like it. would not mind an 16X18 but may not find one for my kit.
    Conrad