Thread: Novice Drummer Information

SimonT Guest

Default Novice Drummer Information

Hi All!

Sorry if this is basic but I have three questions for drumming for you guys.

I write Indie tracks, Britpop style, and was wondering:-

1) How do you know what's the best drum pattern to put to a guitar piece? What determines that? is it the guitar strum? would a drummer just know how to drum to it or just drum what he feels is right or fits? I'm talking 4/4 by the way here.

2) How do you progress drums? I would like to know how it builds through the song. If there's any videos anyone could link me to on You Tube or websites someone could link me, I would be most grateful.

and finally,

3) What is the technique in Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds, 'In the Heat of the Moment' that is being used on the cymbals? it's at the end of every bar at what I think is 105/106bpm. It's like a closed hi-hat that's sucking in to me. Is that the right turn of phrase?

Thank You!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Novice Drummer Information

There's no real standard but this is generally how you can program the drums:

1. Start with BD on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, High Hat on the 8th notes
    2. Program the rest of the music as you want.
    3. Go back, make the drums match the bass.

How drums build in the song depends on the song, usually for chorus and solo parts drummers go to the ride, but not always.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

It may be helpful to you to look online for free drum tabs for music in a similar genre. Try listening to the songs while reading the tabs - if you can follow the tabulation whilst the song is playing you should quickly gain a basic understanding of what is happening on the drum set. Maybe check out a few youtube clips of drum fills.

The drum beat on the Noel Gallagher song is just like JZG described - Bass on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, constant 8th notes on closed hi hat - except for on 'and' of 4, where the hats are opened - then closed again on 1. I call this a hi hat sizzle (I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology).
    Last edited by crispycritters; 06-22-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

I trust my ears. I try to fit the drums to the song. Sometimes I follow the rhythm of the lyrics.

User Info Menu

So I don't know the song, didn't listen to it, and still guessed the beat correctly?

Ours is the easiest and hardest instrument to play...