Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: left hand lead

User Info Menu

Default left hand lead

So I been avoiding my practice on my feet and I know I have to practice.so tonight I did the bossa nova on the bottom and decided to do doubles on the snare. I started off with the right hand,fumbled for 10-15 mins and then it started to flow then I say let me try left hand lead and wow I fumbled for half hour and still need to practice at verhy slow tempo. So I'm asking is it necessary to learn rudiments left hand lead not only on snare but around kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: left hand lead

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    So I'm asking is it necessary to learn rudiments left hand lead not only on snare but around kit?
    Very simple answer. Yes. Both hands should be equal.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Yes! John Bonham always lead with his left hand, which let him move around the kit with triplets easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Very simple answer. Yes. Both hands should be equal.
    I have a Lot of work to do LOL

User Info Menu

Learn what you think is necessary to enhance your playing. If you feel you need more flexibility and freedom with fills and moving around the kit. Then defintely learn some left hand leads as they will drastically help
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I practice everything every way that I can. I like drumchat because you guys talk about exercises that I don't think of.

User Info Menu

I don't even know what some of that stuff means. I tend to just do what feels the most natural.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Starting rudiments with your left hand and leading with your left are different-accents tend to feel different, your right foot is suddenly without its right hand "partner", and fills have to resolve differently. You might even try riding the hats with your left-playing open handed. Practice, practice, practice on the kit takes care of any issues.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I practice everything every way that I can. I like drumchat because you guys talk about exercises that I don't think of.
    Yea this site is helpful.someone even forwarded sheet music to practice

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich started about 90% of his fills, whatever, with his right hand.

You do want both hands to be equal, that's obvious, but, if you are out gigging and do a paradiddle (or a single or double stroke roll, or anything else for that matter) nobody is going to notice, nor is anyone going to give a damn which hand you start with.

User Info Menu

You do want both hands to be equal, that's obvious, but, if you are out gigging and do a paradiddle (or a single or double stroke roll, or anything else for that matter) nobody is going to notice, nor is anyone going to give a damn which hand you start with.
    I give a damn though that's why I asked

User Info Menu

Nah, it still matters what hand you start with. You may have some intricate fills that require very specific sticking. I know I do, sometimes.

Obviously, if you're going to play a right-handed kit and you're right-handed, you will start almost all of your fills with the right. It makes the most sense, and it's natural. But you shouldn't discount fills (or anything) that start with the left, because even if you never use them in performance, they work fantastic for practice.

My left is always behind my right. It's always under-developed when compared to my right. It needs a fair amount of solid practice to come even, so I think doing anything left-hand lead is a great exercise.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I give a damn though that's why I asked
    Then practice leading with your left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    Nah, it still matters what hand you start with. You may have some intricate fills that require very specific sticking. I know I do, sometimes.

Obviously, if you're going to play a right-handed kit and you're right-handed, you will start almost all of your fills with the right. It makes the most sense, and it's natural. But you shouldn't discount fills (or anything) that start with the left, because even if you never use them in performance, they work fantastic for practice.

My left is always behind my right. It's always under-developed when compared to my right. It needs a fair amount of solid practice to come even, so I think doing anything left-hand lead is a great exercise.

I should have went further with what I posted. Of course you want both hands to be of equal ability.

I played cross-handed the vast majority of the time, I also played open when needed, and both ways, I would start fills with both hands, although most of the time with my right hand.

I started out being left handed, became ambidextrous (because of school in the '50's) set my drums up right handed because it was all I saw. I was 10, what did I know. All drummers become ambidextrous. It's what happens when you play drums.

Vhyle, as for your problem, take a practice session and just play left hand and BD. Don't even have a stick in your right hand. That will build up your left hand, and help with coordination between hands and feet.

I went back and re-read my post and realized that I was looking at it strictly from a gigging standpoint, where nobody really does give a damn which hand you start with, but, as drummers we should be able to start with either hand.

Sorry 'bout that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I don't even know what some of that stuff means. I tend to just do what feels the most natural.

all the best...
    oh good, im not alone....

User Info Menu

I went to the pad to see.

singles, doubles....lead right

5 stroke.....both

7 stroke....left

9 stroke...right

flams, drags, ratameques....left

triplets....both

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I went to the pad to see.

singles, doubles....lead right

5 stroke.....both

7 stroke....left

9 stroke...right

flams, drags, ratameques....left

triplets....both

all the best...
    Haha you got quite alot there.I'm not moving forward with anything until I get left hand with doubles comfortable

User Info Menu

I can't start a flam with my left hand. I can do drags, doubles, anything with the left hand leading except for flams.

-Mike

User Info Menu

...and practice ending rudiments with the hand that would hit a cymbal!
    Last edited by slinglander; 06-29-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Ah yes, great point! Crashing with the left is something I don't do often enough. I can do it, but it's sometimes awkward. But I know if I do it more often, it will be greatly beneficial. Ending a rudiment with a left-hand crash would be an excellent way to bring the left up to par!
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'm gonna try this.i don't think I have ever crashed with my left hand now that I'm thinking about it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    Ah yes, great point! Crashing with the left is something I don't do often enough. I can do it, but it's sometimes awkward. But I know if I do it more often, it will be greatly beneficial. Ending a rudiment with a left-hand crash would be an excellent way to bring the left up to par!
    Thanks for the explanation bro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Yes! John Bonham always lead with his left hand, which let him move around the kit with triplets easier.
    John was left handed also, but played righty. BUT, that doesn't mean you shouldn't strengthen your right hand. It allows you to get strong backbeats, shuffles, fills, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    John was left handed also, but played righty. BUT, that doesn't mean you shouldn't strengthen your right hand. It allows you to get strong backbeats, shuffles, fills, etc.
    His Moby D!ck solo is a great example. Lots of left leads.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    His Moby D!ck solo is a great example. Lots of left leads.
    Very true! I don't know the solo very well, but speaking about rudiments, you DEFINITELY want to get your left hand strong for taps and drags/ruffs, otherwise you'll be crossing your arms. Example:

llR llR llR

I play that in a bunch of ways, either "and ah one and ah 2" or as triplets, or the pure drag/ruff (meanin the double is just a quick little embellishment before the accent). This allows you to move this all around the kit and keep your left hand around the snare. Try this the other way with your right hand doing the grace notes...your left hand will have to cross your arm to hit the floor tom!

User Info Menu

I believe Dave Lombardo often did his fills leading with the left hand also.
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook