Thread: How high is your throne?

User Info Menu

Default How high is your throne?

For so long, I've been playing in a low-riding throne. I never gave it much of a thought. My knees were always hovering around 90 degrees, and sitting that low always somewhat inhibited my tom angle versatility.

But ever since I got this new kit, I've raised my throne significantly. In fact, I have my throne all the way up now. I'm able to flatten out my toms a lot more and of course bring the snare in a bit closer. The new angle feels a ton better on my knees (which are crap from getting older, and military service) and ankles. It's just much more comfortable.

Also, watching a ton of drum videos on Youtube, I've noticed that a LOT of other pro players sit pretty high up as well.

How high (or low) does everyone else sit here?

And why did it take me almost 20 years to realize this?
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Default Re: How high is your throne?

As high as my RnS Nitro will go. I also used to sit very low. Much easier to play sitting up higher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    For so long, I've been playing in a low-riding throne. I never gave it much of a thought. My knees were always hovering around 90 degrees, and sitting that low always somewhat inhibited my tom angle versatility.

But ever since I got this new kit, I've raised my throne significantly. In fact, I have my throne all the way up now. I'm able to flatten out my toms a lot more and of course bring the snare in a bit closer. The new angle feels a ton better on my knees (which are crap from getting older, and military service) and ankles. It's just much more comfortable.

Also, watching a ton of drum videos on Youtube, I've noticed that a LOT of other pro players sit pretty high up as well.

How high (or low) does everyone else sit here?

And why did it take me almost 20 years to realize this?
    Hmmmmm. I've been playing for over fifty years, and I've always sat at the level you refer to - very low with the knees at 90 degrees. It's never crossed my mind to try sitting higher. Do you play the BD pedal heel up or down? I've always played heel up, so that should present no problem. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hmmmmm. I've been playing for over fifty years, and I've always sat at the level you refer to - very low with the knees at 90 degrees. It's never crossed my mind to try sitting higher. Do you play the BD pedal heel up or down? I've always played heel up, so that should present no problem. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

GeeDeeEmm
    I play heel up as well. I also play double-bass regularly, so sitting up helps with that as well. When I do double-bass, I tend to "float" my ankles up a bit and use all-ankle movement, depending on the speed. Another reason why sitting higher feels more comfortable to me.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Whoops! Sorry guys, I'm still newb.
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

My knees are a little higher than 90 degrees. I used to sit as high as my 9608 throne would go, but I bought my kit second hand, and the hi hat rod was cut down quite a bit. Now I'm forced to sit lower. I do like the feel of where I'm at now. It feels you're over the drums. I also play heel up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

All depends on how many drugs it's taken
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

The top of the throne is at the top of my knee (23-24 inches).

Any lower and I lose the snare angle and find myself hitting the rim often.

User Info Menu

Still 6' and throne is still 27".

User Info Menu

as far as inches I don't know but I like to sit high

User Info Menu

A very famous drummer once told me to never have lower than 90 degree angle. I used to sit very low.

User Info Menu

Sitting at my throne if i take my right foot and lift up to so its resting on the toes/ball my leg is then is about level...

User Info Menu

I played this afternoon and experimented with different throne heights.

I started at 90 degrees, which, for me, is a 24" height, and it really slowed down my foot speed.

I tried 25" and 26" which was still not what I wanted.

At 27", it feels as if there is no weight on my BD foot at all, which allows it to be free and loose. I should add that I'm strictly a heel down player.

I would think that whether you play heel down or heel up, you would want the feeling of no weight on your ankle(s), so you should try different throne heights until you find the 1 that gives you the most comfort which will translate into speed, stamina, and dexterity.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-27-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: ==

User Info Menu

I agree with Rick and his explanation. I used to use a folding bar stool that's 30" high. I found that to be very comfortable....my thighs sloped downward just slightly and my feet and ankles carried no weight. I bought a new Gibraltar throne a while back and it only goes up to 28", which puts my knees right about 90 degrees. I would prefer a littler higher, but I've played several gigs with it and 28" seems to work fine so far.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Low as it will go. I'm short (5'5") so I find a looottt of thrones even at their lowest settings can be troublesome. My Roadster at its lowest gets me at probably a 100 degree angle? That seems decent to me. I play mostly heel down, but do up for volume also.

User Info Menu

Depends on the quality of what it smoked.

User Info Menu

I sit a little higher than that 90 mark also.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

High enough to see my kingdom!