Thread: question about proper sticking (Spacehog)

User Info Menu

Default question about proper sticking (Spacehog)

Hi,

I'm learning "In the Meantime" by Spacehog and I'm not quite sure how the sticking goes for the 16th note hi-hat sequences. I've watched several covers on YouTube and it looks like most guys play the hat strictly with the right hand, which seems easier to keep time. But on the Spacehog video it looks like Jonny Cragg is playing the hat with alternating LH RH strokes, which I guess would be less fatiguing.

Is anyone familiar enough with this song to recommend the best sticking technique?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: question about proper sticking (Spacehog)

I checked out a couple of live videos of them playing that song, and I think I know why the people playing covers are playing that 16th notes with one hand. The sound of the high-hat patterns has accented 8th notes, so the downbeats and the "ands" are accented and the "e's" and "a's" are quieter. For a lot of drummers, that's easier to do with one hand than with two, doing the standard Moeller-influenced double stroke where the motion you're making with the stick automatically imparts that accented-quiet pattern. The drummer for Spacehog is playing alternate sticking, where the right hand is constantly playing accents and the left hand is constantly playing quieter.

So, the answer as to the "best sticking technique" is whichever is easier for you to make the hi-hat pattern sound right. I'd probably opt for single hand doubles, because that's how I learned to play those kinds of 16th notes on the hi hat.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Default Re: question about proper sticking (Spacehog)

Thanks for your input dt344. I switched to alternating strokes and I actually think I'm finding it more relaxed and enjoyable to play this way..... accept for the accenting, I definitely need to work on that!