Thread: UFIP cymbals

User Info Menu

Default UFIP cymbals

I just saw a thread and in it, Slinky had a UFIP crash I believe. I have in my possession, a 1960's UFIP 22" ride that's been in my family since it's original purchase. My father doesn't know much about it but I don't see a lot of old or new for that matter, UFIP cymbals. It's really bright and sounds amazing...I'm wondering if anyone knows much about them? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: UFIP cymbals

sounds like a timeless treasure! Pictures?

User Info Menu

This is the only picture I have handy at the moment...
    I can take a closer one eventually

User Info Menu

looks to be in great shape

User Info Menu

I got a 60's UFIP crash with my Ludwig kit. It surprised me how good it sounds. I had never heard of them until I got this one. Unfortunately it has cracks all around the hole , that are hidden under the felt, and I'm too afraid to put it in my regular rotation.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Try contacting Drum center of portsmouth(DCP) for any info.

User Info Menu

I love UFIP cymbals. Two weaknesses however. They can be a little fragile ( not meant for super heavy bashing) and very high price.

I always figured Italy is between Switzerland (Paiste) and Turkey (Zildjian). They have somehow found a perfect blend of the European glassiness and that Arabian mysteriousness.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone...I've always been curious to know a little bit about my cymbal. It's old and the stamp is difficult to see nowadays, but it's a beautiful cymbal. I have played with this cymbal ever since I was a little kid...going on 30+ years and not a single crack. I'll never sell, but I'm curious what it's worth.

User Info Menu

You have a great cymbal there Cdeleone. I don't know the worth, why not send UFiP an email about it. Maybe they will send you some info.

You're in good company too btw, Charlie Watts has been using his vintage "Italian made" ride forever. "Italian made" was in his own words from an old MD article so it must be a UFiP.

found this video. His is a flat UFiP ride
    Last edited by slinky; 07-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

IMO of course. They are just about the nicest sounding cymbals on the planet. Sort of like the Ferrari's of cymbal world. Hard to beat Italian craftsmanship in anything. The high price however prevents me from outfitting my whole set with them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

This is kind of related to UFIP - during the second world war there were a few Italian prisoners of war held in the UK, prior to the war they were cymbal smiths for UFIP. When the war ended some of them remained in the UK and manufactured cymbals labelled Zyn - the cymbals these guys made are highly regarded and sought after. Unfortunately not all Zyn cymbals are of the same quality - the ones made later (not by these cymbalsmiths) are best avoided.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 07-03-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    This is kind of related to UFIP - during the second world war there were a few Italian prisoners of war held in the UK, prior to the war they were cymbal smiths for UFIP. When the war ended some of them remained in the UK and manufactured cymbals labelled Zyn - the cymbals these guys made are highly regarded and sought after. Unfortunately not all Zyn cymbals are of the same quality - the ones made later (not by these cymbalsmiths) are best avoided.
    Wow I didn't know that. I once owned a 20" Zyn ride cymbal. It was kind of silver colored. I remembered it being stamped "Made in England" I always assumed they were related to Premier drum Co. in some way.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The only reason I'm not using my Class ride right now is because i want a lot of ping for RDM. Using a 21'' Z Light Power Ride. The Class is a great cymbal though you can play on it anywhere and find what you need.

I like the 20" Tiger crash I have and also have a 14" B8 Kashian hi hat top that I got for a cymbal project I'm going to do. They made cymbals under different names for companys and some were B20. There's a website that has the stamp breakdown for them dating way back.
    Last edited by slinky; 07-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I guess it's time for an update if anyone is interested. Bought a Bionic 17" crash last Christmas day for under $140 shipped and yesterday bought a set of 14" Bionic hats (newest series) for $147 shipped!. Pretty stoked about this. They retail for over $400! The new series as far as I can tell has a blue stamp vs a black one. Can't wait to hang these babies on the kit.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN