Thread: Modifying snares

User Info Menu

Default Modifying snares

To be more specific...

I'm talking about the snares themselves. I had an idea and I figured I'd run it by here to get some opinions. I'm sure it's been done before but I've never seen it personally.

What if you were to take your standard metal snares, and deliberately clip off some of them? Perhaps half of them. I was wondering if this would give the snare a more dry, airy sound, while maintaining the tension of the snares (as opposed to just loosening them).

I'm after a very dry sound for jazzy stuff, and I was wondering how this modification would sound. I don't want to try it yet until I have a replacement in hand, just in case it turns out terrible.

Anyone else done this before?
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Default Re: Modifying snares

Just buys snare sets with less strands. I think you can get them as low as eight.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Just buys snare sets with less strands. I think you can get them as low as eight.

all the best...
    lol I wasn't aware they sold them like that.

Same result either way, I suppose! I still want to try it.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

yeah they make lots of different options. No need to cut a good snare wire cause if you don't like it no going back. But get a new one and now you can go back and forth and compare differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah they make lots of different options. No need to cut a good snare wire cause if you don't like it no going back. But get a new one and now you can go back and forth and compare differences.
    Well that's why I suggested buying another replacement before cutting anything. Buuuuuut if they sell them like that, I could just go that route, lol.
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

There's only one way to find out if fewer wires will give you the sound you seek, and, of course, that's to try it.
    However...intuitively speaking, I'm going to take a guess and suggest that lessening the number of wires will not "dry" the sound but render it more tom like, or more like the snare with the strainer off.
    I believe dryness is achieved more by tuning and snare tension...and if number of wires have an effect I would think more wires may be dryer.
    There are also snare sets and strainer systems that allow you to individually tension the wires. I've also heard of people removing some of the middle wires but don't remember the details there.
    Damping of course is also a factor.

User Info Menu

I had a snare wire break on one end. It sounded terrible. Then I clipped the same one on the opposite side and it evened out the sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    There's only one way to find out if fewer wires will give you the sound you seek, and, of course, that's to try it.
    However...intuitively speaking, I'm going to take a guess and suggest that lessening the number of wires will not "dry" the sound but render it more tom like, or more like the snare with the strainer off.
    I believe dryness is achieved more by tuning and snare tension...and if number of wires have an effect I would think more wires may be dryer.
    There are also snare sets and strainer systems that allow you to individually tension the wires. I've also heard of people removing some of the middle wires but don't remember the details there.
    Damping of course is also a factor.
    Good reply, thanks!

Perhaps "dry" is just one aspect that I'm after. A more tom-sounding tone is also something that is appealing to me. I like a tightly tuned, dry snare that isn't so saturated, like a lot of jazz drummers use. Head and reso tension are the biggest culprits for this, of course, but I was just wondering how it would sound with less snare wires, while maintaining the same snare wire tension as before.

I suppose you're right - only way to find out is to do it! I'm ok with purchasing a factory replacement wire set for the sake of experimentation. I think I'll do this soon. In fact, I should record the difference.

The more I think about this, I'm certain there is a good deal of science behind this. What I mean is what if I clip off the end wires? Middle wires? Every alternating wire?

Hmm...
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

I had bought a set of snappy wires a couple of months ago. I thought they were the standard 20 but turned out to be a 12 strand set. Decided to try them out for fun. Put it on my Black Magic snare and really liked the sound. It sounded great to me because I was right there on top of it but our bass player mentioned that it sounded a little weak for the louder stuff we are playing.
    Last edited by slinky; 07-04-2015 at 05:01 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I had a snare wire break on one end. It sounded terrible. Then I clipped the same one on the opposite side and it evened out the sound.
    This is good advice for your experiment. DOn't sweep this one under the rug. Whichever wires you clip on one side, the corresponding wire must be clipped on the other side, or the tension won't be spread evenly and they will sound terrible..
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Bend the remaining bit of wire away from the head or you will create a hole in the membrane.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168