Thread: Demo recording setup.

User Info Menu

Default Demo recording setup.

Hey guys,

Recorded a bit of a demo of a song I wrote for my band the other day. The drums sounded pretty decent so I decided to keep the mics set up semi permanently so I can do some more recording down the track. All I used was a kick mic and a single overhead mic running into a 2 channel interface (sitting on the drawers) into my laptop.

For anyone looking to do any demo quality recording, personally I reckon this setup is all you need. If you look for a couple mics, some cables, a couple stands and an interface second hand, i wouldn't imagine you parting with too much cash. You can hear everything in the recording clearly as well.

Here's the demo I recorded. I've added a bit of compression and reverb, but that's it: https://copy.com/iTfXXyyszHyUEQn4
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Demo recording setup.

I would say that your recording sounds quite good when you consider the budget nature of the recording and the fact that you are using nothing more than a BD mic and a single overhead. Good work.

I do have a question, though. It seems that throughout the entire song the drums are considerably behind the beat, and this is especially evident in the crash cymbals. Were you playing behind the beat or is something happening during the mixing that is causing the guitar and bass to play ahead of the beat? Was this recorded live, or did you overdub the guitar and bass? Is it just me, or can anybody else hear this?

Let us know what your recording process was. Otherwise, I'm impressed by the sound you obtained, and your Pacific kit sounds very big.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I would say that your recording sounds quite good when you consider the budget nature of the recording and the fact that you are using nothing more than a BD mic and a single overhead. Good work.

I do have a question, though. It seems that throughout the entire song the drums are considerably behind the beat, and this is especially evident in the crash cymbals. Were you playing behind the beat or is something happening during the mixing that is causing the guitar and bass to play ahead of the beat? Was this recorded live, or did you overdub the guitar and bass? Is it just me, or can anybody else hear this?

Let us know what your recording process was. Otherwise, I'm impressed by the sound you obtained, and your Pacific kit sounds very big.

GeeDeeEmm

I heard what you heard on the 1st go around. The 2nd time I listened to it, I heard it differently. I've heard Baker play a couple of songs like this. At 1st listen, it seems like the drums are chasing the music. Then you listen to it again and they are where they are supposed to be. It's just the song being played that way.

User Info Menu

I was playing with a click and I only did a couple takes, so my playing might be slightly wonky. Because it was just a demo, I didn't try super hard to get it perfectly in time. I do have to practice playing with a click a bit more though.

The guitar and bass are not actually a guitar and bass, I played them on a midi keyboard with guitar and bass sounds. With midi, it is possible to edit what I played, so I did a bit of that as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    I was playing with a click and I only did a couple takes, so my playing might be slightly wonky. Because it was just a demo, I didn't try super hard to get it perfectly in time. I do have to practice playing with a click a bit more though.

The guitar and bass are not actually a guitar and bass, I played them on a midi keyboard with guitar and bass sounds. With midi, it is possible to edit what I played, so I did a bit of that as well.
    There we go, then. If you are not completely comfortable with a click track, the most common response is to play behind the beat as you try to monitor yourself and keep yourself married to the click. I'll bet the answer to my question is just that simple. Anybody else think so? Thanks for replying.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    There we go, then. If you are not completely comfortable with a click track, the most common response is to play behind the beat as you try to monitor yourself and keep yourself married to the click. I'll bet the answer to my question is just that simple. Anybody else think so? Thanks for replying.

GeeDeeEmm
    No worries man, yeah that was exactly my thought process as I was playing, trying to stay with the click...
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.