Thread: Drums at NAMM

User Info Menu

Default Drums at NAMM

So I was at the music industry day at Summer NAMM yesterday, and of course, I spent most of my time oogling and hovering around the various drum sections. I took the opportunity to play some very fancy, expensive drum kits that I will likely never get to afford. I wanted to see if you guys were familiar, because I wasn't until now.

I played some stuff by Infinity Drumworks, AJP Drums, and a kit installed with Fat Hoops.

Both the Infinity and AJP kits felt and sounded amazing. Very deep, rich tones and incredible resonance. The AJP kit had a 26" kick drum that sounded absolutely massive, and it also had a 14" deep snare that had a dry, earthy tone that I was really digging. The massive kick drum, of course, left quite a gap to travel from the first tom to the floor tom. The cymbals on these kits were also really fancy, but I can't remember what they were. The AJP kit sounded amazing, but I'm not sure if it was quite for me.

The Infinity kit was less expensive, if I recall, and it felt more at home to me. The kit was set up in a more modern fashion (i.e. how the average drum kit is set up), and I got accustomed to it very quickly. The tones were also very warm and inviting, with fantastic resonance. The whole kit in general rang very well with me, overall.

The kit adorned with Fat Hoops was a standard DW kit, but the Fat Hoops were pretty interesting. The hoops are made of some sort of composite, but they look like wood, and still sounded very natural. I would invest in something like this if I needed a stick saving solution.

Anyone else here familiar with these products?
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums at NAMM

What........no pictures........

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    What........no pictures........

Jim
    LOL I know, working on it. I only got a few pics at NAMM. Hopefully some of them were of these kits that I played. I know, it's a sin.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

Just curious.. why would someone make composite hoops.. that look like wood... sound like wood... why not just use... wood...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Just curious.. why would someone make composite hoops.. that look like wood... sound like wood... why not just use... wood...
    Cheaper I guess?
    Bandcamp - Facebook

Facebook

User Info Menu

Last longer, wont warp, peel, fade and multi color options to match kit etc etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Last longer, wont warp, peel, fade and multi color options to match kit etc etc.

Ahhh all good reasons then I have never owned wood hoops i didnt realize how bad they are...

User Info Menu

Yeah I have seen wood hoops split at the seem form heat/humidity. Seen them crack from lack of humidity. I had one hoop where the lacquer bubbled and flaked and I had it in a well climatised room and still wonder how that happened.