Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to fix a broken Pearl cymbal stand..help ?

User Info Menu

Default Trying to fix a broken Pearl cymbal stand..help ?

Hello everyone , my first post here . I have a year old Pearl BC-830 boom stand with a broken bushing on the base section . So now the the bottom section of the boom won't tighten up .
    I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them ? And if so how did you fix it . I tried some epoxy on it but I don't think this will hold once I put pressure on it and it will fail . These stands aren't cheap , it's pretty much useless now . Does anyone on know how I can contact someone at Pearl for a part ? I could not find a link on their web site for any kind of help . And parts for stands are not carried by any of the major stores . I got it brand new at GC but they haven't been any help .
    Anyone....

Thanks for reading my post .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying to fix a broken Pearl cymbal stand..help ?

Welcome to Drum Chat, jedi.

In looking at a picture of the stand, is it the sleeve that the wing nut goes into that cracked? I'm not sure I understand what broke. Is it the insert piece that tightens around the extension?

Right off hand a quick fix could be a radiator hose/muffler clamp to use sort of like a memory lock device. Slip it over the next telescope component and tighten it down. Let it rest on the damaged part at the height you prefer. It's not perfect but it will get you by until you can find the part.

In thinking this through, could you just order a memory lock sleeve to fit the tube that needs to be held in place?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I may have another answer for you. I'm sure the mods won't let this link stay long since we aren't supposed to be posting links to other retail sites as it conflicts with Forum Policy.

Maybe drummer will cut us a break to assist you in finding what you need.

This link....

http://pearldrum.com/support/spare-p...ts-catalog.pdf

If you open the PDF and go to page 24, there is a complete parts list and diagram of your cymbal stand.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bish; 07-15-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I may have another answer for you. I'm sure the mods won't let this link stay long since we aren't supposed to be posting links to other retail sites as it conflicts with Forum Policy.

Maybe drummer will cut is a break to assist you in finding what you need.

This link....

http://pearldrum.com/support/spare-p...ts-catalog.pdf

If you open the PDF and go to page 24, there is a complete parts list and diagram of your cymbal stand.

I hope this helps.
    Boy ! Thanks for the replys Bish ! Yea it's the sleeve where the wingnut goes into that broke . It came with memory locks and that's what I had to use to keep it up on the gig Sunday . Then I had to wrap some duct tape cause it would spin when I would hit the splash cymbal that is attached to it .
    The stand is not that old and I haven't used it much as I have other drum kits I rotate with their own hardware packs . And I carry it in a Ahead "OGIO" hardware bag .
    Thanks for the link . Now if I could find someway to order it (and maybe a few more) .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Duck tape

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Duck tape

all the best...
    Yea I had to do that to get thru the gig Sunday . Good ole duct tape...
    Thanks Kay-Gee !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Thanks, Bish, for the link to the parts catalog. I've had no luck in trying to find parts catalogs for several brands when other people post with similar problems on the board.

To the OP - it's pretty obvious from the parts catalog diagrams and parts list that the exact part you need is unavailable as a separate repair part. It's available only as an entire assembly. Based on your description, it appears that you will need to purchase the "base assembly, complete," which would include the lower tube and the legs and associated castings.

These situations go completely against the grain for those of us who like to repair - rather than replace - things. I used to keep a sizeable collection of old stands and other drum related items from which I could pull parts for situations like this. As drum hardware improved to the point that I rarely experienced any failures, I disposed of this old collection. One direction you might consider is watching ebay. I've seen a number of people selling cymbal stand bases when they converted to using a racks and used only the upper sections of their cymbal stands.

In short, just as in the automotive sphere, the days of repair have been replaced with the days of replace. That may be your only choice here, too.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Thanks, Bish, for the link to the parts catalog. I've had no luck in trying to find parts catalogs for several brands when other people post with similar problems on the board.

To the OP - it's pretty obvious from the parts catalog diagrams and parts list that the exact part you need is unavailable as a separate repair part. It's available only as an entire assembly. Based on your description, it appears that you will need to purchase the "base assembly, complete," which would include the lower tube and the legs and associated castings.

These situations go completely against the grain for those of us who like to repair - rather than replace - things. I used to keep a sizeable collection of old stands and other drum related items from which I could pull parts for situations like this. As drum hardware improved to the point that I rarely experienced any failures, I disposed of this old collection. One direction you might consider is watching ebay. I've seen a number of people selling cymbal stand bases when they converted to using a racks and used only the upper sections of their cymbal stands.

In short, just as in the automotive sphere, the days of repair have been replaced with the days of replace. That may be your only choice here, too.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks GDM ! Yea I still have a heap of old hardware ! As much as I love my Yamaha drums the hardware doesn't hold up too well , the casings strip out and the bolts won't hold anymore . But the Pearl stuff has always been tough and so I was surprised when this happened . And it's such a small piece that it seems a shame to dump a whole bottom half of a stand just because a plastic bushing failed . I've had some luck in the past in meeting some of the reps from the drum/cymbal companies at the music stores . I guess I'll have to resort to that..again .
    Thanks G-D-M !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

If the stand isn't that old you might want to see if it's still under warranty. I wouldn't think that a splash cymbal would place much torque on a joint that supposed to hold up to cymbals like those heavy 24" rides. I'd check with Pearl support if you can reach them.

User Info Menu

If the stand isn't that old you might want to see if it's still under warranty. I wouldn't think that a splash cymbal would place much torque on a joint that supposed to hold up to cymbals like those heavy 24" rides. I'd check with Pearl support if you can reach them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
    Actually the last time I had used the cymbal stand before that Sunday I had it holding a 20" medium ride and a 18" crash on a short boom attachment . I'm not a novice to drumming and I have the same stand arrangement on a cheap SP cymbal stand and the same on a Yamaha and DW stand . And yea I use the memory lock on all . That Sunday I had to switch it around and use it as a straight stand with a 16" crash and a 10" plash on a short boom attachment . It was fine when I hit the crash but it would spin when I hit the splash .
    I took the stand to GC where I got it from and they were of no help . Since I did not buy the "extended two year warranty" from them they weren't too willing to give me any of their time . I know I'll have to contact Pearl directly however there is no link or info on there site on how to contact them . Shame this stand has to go to waste over a small $2 bushing .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

One thing I will say and live by this.

I am not saying this is what happens but it's been known to prematurely wear out parts. I never crank anything down as tight as I can for fear of failure or in my humble opinion, continually cranking things down as hard as you can will wear parts sooner.

I usually give clamps and such just enough tension to keep them in place.

I've only ever had one piece of hardware fail and that was a quick load cymbal T top that screws onto the threaded shaft at the top of the cymbal stand. I didn't even break it. My guitarist who is a serious blackbelt kicked the cymbal during an accent and sent the cymbal several feet in the air and we never did find the broken T from the cymbal holder. No harm came to the cymbal and it looked cool from the audience perspective. Not so much from mine.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

One thing I will say and live by this.

I am not saying this is what happens but it's been known to prematurely wear out parts. I never crank anything down as tight as I can for fear of failure or in my humble opinion, continually cranking things down as hard as you can will wear parts sooner.

I've only ever had one piece of hardware fail and that was a quick load cymbal T top that screws onto the threaded shaft at the top of the cymbal stand. I didn't even break it. My guitarist who is a serious blackbelt kicked the cymbal during an accent and sent the cymbal several feet in the air and we never did find the broken T from the cymbal holder. No harm came to the cymbal and it looked cool from the audience perspective. Not so much from mine.

Yup that's why I'm sorta taken back by this failure . I play around town alot , it's how I make my living . And I have a few kits which I rotate . So it's not like these had been abused , and these being the newest ones they have been a bit babied . LOL
    The Yamaha stuff was wear and tear on sub par metal that was backed up by Yamaha . They sent me hardware replacements at no charge ! But that's because they knew the parts were bad and I was able to reach them directly thru their website . It's not uncommon . Back in '84 I was living in Houston and playing with a Tejano artist that was recording with Sony Records . I was able to get a regional sponsorship with Remo drums out of San Antonio . I was playing the new Remo drums at the time . Two years later I was no longer with the artist or even in Texas but I still had the drums . Remo contacted me and asked if the shells were coming apart . Dang if they weren't ! So they sent me a whole new set of drums with the second generation of Acousticon Shell . No charge . But they knew the first gen shells had a flaw and they took care of it .
    As the saying goes.."stuff happens" .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I'm sure that some sort of improvisation could be made if it's part I'm thinking of. Like something from an unrelated drum item. A plastic sleeve or tubing of some sort. Just about every diameter imaginable exists. Or set it where you want it and braze weld it. Living on a tiny island as I do, I've learned to get real creative when something fails. LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Back in the "old days" of drum hardware, all fittings were metal to metal - a set screw bearing directly on the metal tube!

Then came true clamping systems with no metal-to-metal contact. Bliss. Today it's simply unnecessary - and quite destructive - to tighten fittings any more than snug. I have some "modern" hardware that is almost twenty years old and still looks and functions like new, and all of that is due to the new clamping systems and close attention to not over-tightening wing nuts.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Back in the "old days" of drum hardware, all fittings were metal to metal - a set screw bearing directly on the metal tube!

Then came true clamping systems with no metal-to-metal contact. Bliss. Today it's simply unnecessary - and quite destructive - to tighten fittings any more than snug. I have some "modern" hardware that is almost twenty years old and still looks and functions like new, and all of that is due to the new clamping systems and close attention to not over-tightening wing nuts.

GeeDeeEmm
    I made a response to Bish's last post but for some reason it hasn't turned up . I don't get this , I get the "moderator must read before it's posted" window and then my post disappears ! Let's see if it happens with this reply ...

That is why I'm surprised that this cymbal stand failed . I do not over tighten my hardware ! The Yamaha stuff failed because it was a bad batch of metal . I was able to contact them directly and they sent me new stuff at no charge and it's been holding up beautifully . The thing is that I was able to contact the company directly , something I've not been able to do with Pearl .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Yup..both replies have disappeared...

User Info Menu

Here's the thing ...
    I've had other hardware fail but I've always been able to contact the company directly and have the issue resolved to my satisfaction . Even before the days of Al Gore's wonderful internet there was an address you could write to then days later you would get a call . But I've not been able to get to the Pearl Drum Company ! That's what frustrates me .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Here's the thing ...
    I've had other hardware fail but I've always been able to contact the company directly and have the issue resolved to my satisfaction . Even before the days of Al Gore's wonderful internet there was an address you could write to then days later you would get a call . But I've not been able to get to the Pearl Drum Company ! That's what frustrates me .
    Rudy .
    So do you still have the issue on how to contact Pearl? Do you need a solution for that?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

See if this helps.

Pearl North America
    Pearl Corporation
    549 Metroplex Drive
    Nashville TN. 37211-3140
    Telephone (615)-833-4477
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Just found this, too.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

Drum Set/Concert wood and metal shells for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    Foot pedals, hi-hat stands, cymbal stands, boom cymbal stands, snare drum stands, floor-standing tom stands, floor-standing cymbal/tom stands, concert stands, racks and rack accessories, cymbal holders and multi-clamps for the Lifetime of the Original Owner. Some exceptions apply.
    Drum Set claws, tension rods, swivel nuts, spurs, tom brackets, tom holders, strainers, and nuts and bolts for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    Rotationally molded cases for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    The LIFETIME WARRANTY applies to the aforementioned Pearl products purchased from June 15, 2009.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Based on the parts breakdown, that bushing looks very similar to the ones they use on their BT-3 tom mount brackets. If the 2nd tube is 7/8", it's conceivable that it could be the same bushing for supply management reasons. I've seen replacement bushings for the BT-3 on various web sites. Or, you could buy a used BT-3 off EBay and rob the bushing.
    If it's not the same, I would go to the local home improvement store and buy a flanged nylon bushing of appropriate size. I'm sure with a little time and a Dremel tool, I could fab a replacement.
    Third option is buy a cheap used stand off EBay (any brand, as long as the tube diameter is the same) and just use the base with the rest of your Pearl stand.
    Last option: drill a hole through the clamp bracket and the tube that goes in it. Then, just use a hitch pin. That would keep it extended and keep it from rotating at the same time.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Just found this, too.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

Drum Set/Concert wood and metal shells for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    Foot pedals, hi-hat stands, cymbal stands, boom cymbal stands, snare drum stands, floor-standing tom stands, floor-standing cymbal/tom stands, concert stands, racks and rack accessories, cymbal holders and multi-clamps for the Lifetime of the Original Owner. Some exceptions apply.
    Drum Set claws, tension rods, swivel nuts, spurs, tom brackets, tom holders, strainers, and nuts and bolts for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    Rotationally molded cases for the Lifetime of the Original Owner.
    The LIFETIME WARRANTY applies to the aforementioned Pearl products purchased from June 15, 2009.
    JEDI - if you are the original owner of this hh stand, take advantage of the warranty - lifetime! Don't bother even trying to fix it. Thanks again, Bish - you're Johnny On The Spot, my man!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

JEDI - if you are the original owner of this hh stand, take advantage of the warranty - lifetime! Don't bother even trying to fix it. Thanks again, Bish - you're Johnny On The Spot, my man!

GeeDeeEmm
    Aw, thanks. I'm still half the resource Late8 is. We need pictures. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

UPDATE

So I put in a call to Pearl and after a half hour of talking to three different people I get back an email with a pdf of the parts catalog(same one Bish put up) and a copy of their warranty information !! Talk about frustrating !! So I go back to GC , for the third time . After my first visit I sent a email to the store manager who set an appointment for the next day at two but lo and behold he wasn't in that day ! This time I was in early and there was no one from the drum department in yet . So the acting manager took over . He called Pearl there on the spot . They confirmed the lifetime warranty and said they would be sending him a few of the bushings as it has been an issue with the part . Yes..." an issue with the part " ! So it had nothing to do with overtightening but a bad part . And yes..the part costs $2.50 . So in a week I will have a new bushing . The first one is free and the second one will be two fifty with tax , I'm getting a back up part . He also showed me what they will be selling them at as replacements to everyone else...$11.75 plus tax !! They are making everyone pay for the one time shipping fee of $8 for the whole lot . I guess they'll get their money back on the free one they have to give me !

Thanks to everyone who commented ! This place rocks and I'm glad to be a part of this community ....
    Rudy .