Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum soft cases

User Info Menu

Default Drum soft cases

Hi all !
    Can anyone recommend any drum soft cases brands that are decent and affordable ?
    I now Protection Racket is good but they are a little more pricey.......

Thanks !!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum soft cases

Ahead Cases, I have a 7 piece kit plus 2 extra snares so 9 cases ran me $325.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I have both brands and more, to me the best bags out there are BEATO bags they are really made well. Very decent prices I might ad.IMHO. (they also make custom bags).

User Info Menu

I have the Beatos with the cymbal pockets built in to the top flap, so I can carry cymbals without a cymbal case + the cymbals protect the top of the drums from punctures. Great bags.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

i used to use the Gator ones, cheap and cheerful but they did the job, had to move to hardcase cases as we got more and more gig as i didn't want to take any chances with them getting damaged.

cheers mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Presumably, you want the cases to protect your drum investment, right? I'd save a little more and get high quality cases. Hard cases are my preference, especially if anyone else is helping you load in or load out?.

Not sure where you're from, but if you're in the USA I'd keep a hard eye on craigslist for used hard cases or Amazon for deals.

I like Humes & Berg Enduro. Top notch protection. And the deals I found on them didn't break the bank at all. I got enough for my 4 piece kit for under 200 bucks.

User Info Menu

I have a Beato bass drum bag and it's a piece of garbage. My Body Glove bass drum bag that I picked up at a pawn shop for $15 is awesome...who would have thought they made drum bags? I have several Road Runner and Gator bags. I'd go with Gator. Unless you're packing in a van and hitting the road with the rest of the bands gear (in that case, I'd recommend hard cases) - using Gator bags are totally fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I like Humes & Berg Enduro. Top notch protection. And the deals I found on them didn't break the bank at all. I got enough for my 4 piece kit for under 200 bucks.
    I've used this brand previously. When I sold the drums they carried I included the bags since they were those specific sizes but I did keep the snare bag. It's over 10 years old, has seen many years and miles and still looks brand new. It's been protecting my 15 year old Mapex Black Panther Snare.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

This is an area where scrimping really doesn't pay. Sure, look out for good used deals but you do need to buy quality for it to do it's job.

I've used Protection Racket from day one as I only ever pack my own gear into my own vehicle. I would use Hardcase otherwise as I currently do for my cymbals.

I've heard really good things about the Ahead range and the top of the line Protection Racket provide the benefits of a hardcase in a softbag - Pink Floyds Nick Mason has been known to use these on tour!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

We had some Gators at my music store they seemed nice.
    I personally could never run soft cases. They are just padded dust covers.

User Info Menu

SKB Soft Cases are very good.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone so far for the great feedback and experience. I agree cheaping out is not an option, especially when it's for a Ludwig Legacy Green Sparkle John Bonham spec drum kit!

User Info Menu

I never had any faith in soft drum cases when it came to protecting the shell against errant pointy things or dropping or crushing. If you are fortunate enough to have well-meaning help in loading/unloading your drums (as I usually do - thanks guys!), then you've experienced having speaker enclosures and lighting cases stacked atop your floor tom. That's why I bit the bullet and bought SKB hard cases many years ago, and they have been the life of my drums. Even if you have to sacrifice to do it, buy hard cases and sleep well at night.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    We had some Gators at my music store they seemed nice.
    I personally could never run soft cases. They are just padded dust covers.
    Exactly. Total waste of money, IMO.

User Info Menu

I'm kinda partial to these bad boys.

Signature here

User Info Menu

There is a relatively new brand of drum bags called RoadRunner. I just bought one for. 10"x14" tom and they blow the H&b Galaxy, Gator, of which I have many,and protection rackets away. Glow in the dark rubber size indicators, nice sturdy bags. Not super expensive.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have Gator bags and a few Roadrunner bags for snares. Both brands work well and have held up for several years of moderate gigging. I would prefer to have hard cases (for obvious reasons), but the bags offer one nice advantage; when I'm done setting up, I can put all the bags in the bass drum bag, zip it shut and compress it almost flat. That makes it easy to slide under the pool table or stick in a corner behind stage. Finding places to store our equipment cases during a gig is always a problem. It's a lot nicer to have them close by when it's time to pack up.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Mine will nest inside the next largest and when I'm done setting up I have a bass drum case, (the others are inside) and a trap case that doubles as my table by putting it on end.

Put the bass drum ( collection ) in a corner and the rest of the band will lay their amp covers and other soft bags on it. Our floor space is set up pretty efficiently.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have a 'set' of mixed soft cases. They are - Stagg 22x18, Ritter 18X16, Drum Sacks 14x14, Ritter 13x11, Stagg 12x10, Protection Racket 10x9 and a Guvnor 14x6.5.

They all work perfectly and I can sort through them and use the appropriate ones for whichever drums I want to transport. I have complete trust in them if I load them myself into my own vehicle with no other equipment, if it came to using them in a 'band' vehicle, forget it (with the exception of my single protection racket case) you may as well wrap your gear in old towels and bed linen.

I'm gradually putting together a similar set of (used) hard cases, personally I have no brand preference as the ones I have seen all seem good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm kinda partial to these bad boys.

What brand are these hard cases ??

User Info Menu

What brand are your hard cases ??

User Info Menu

If you lug your own stuff , as I do , bags will do just fine . However if it goes in a trailer or a big truck with other people's stuff then you may want to go with the heavy duty top of the line bags or harde cases .
    Playing four nights a week here locally I find that the bags work better , for me , because some of the paces are small and there is no room for the cases inside the club . And sometimes I have to climb stairs ! The bags weigh less but offer me enough protection that I sleep real well at night .
    I have three sets of the Road Runner bags and a set of DW padded vinyl bags that the guy at GC threw in when I bought my Yamahas . And a set of the Gator bags . Nice bags . And I also have a set of SKB hard cases for when I have to hit the road . I also use the Ahead OGEO hardware bags ( 4 of them) .
    Got to protect your gear ....

User Info Menu

I have a mix of bags from Beato, Stage One and Liberty I. All have worked great. All the drum bags I have with the exception of the Liberty I (Deluxe Snare Bag) have a separate pocket on top for cymbals or other things. The Liberty I snare bag is great because it stays stiff even if no drums are in it, whereas some of the other bags will sort of fold down.

User Info Menu

I have all SKB soft cases which are fine for me since we only play out about once a month and I load and transport my own gear. I do have a Gator hard case for my cymbals because they need more protection and are worth more than my drums (as is usually the case). I also picked up a used SKB golf club flight case which I use for my hardware. It's easier to move because it has wheels, even though it's heavier than my soft hardware case, which is now used for mic stands.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Just a word of caution with bass drum bags. If your bass drum has T handle tension rods or spiked spurs or both like mine do then it's going to be a chore getting it in and out. Also run the risk of ripping through the nylon inside like I did. Not knocking bags but if you move your drums regularly hard shell would be better.

covering drums - soft cases

covering n protecting drums - hard cases
    Last edited by slinky; 07-19-2015 at 07:29 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN