Thread: Drumming Outlets

User Info Menu

Default Drumming Outlets

Hey guys,

I am getting back into drumset playing after about a 25 year hiatus playing mostly guitar (and some djembe in the last couple years). Since deciding to start putting in some time practicing, I've been thinking about what I want to get out of it this time around.

I'm a 47 year old single dad with a somewhat demanding job etc so finding time and the desire to commit to a band may not be the direction I want to go right now. I was just wondering what other outlets there are for playing with other musicians, but maybe without the commitment of a band?

One thing I like about playing djembe is that I can show up at a drum circle and just play. No rehearsing, no learning parts to a bunch of songs, and all of that. Are there similar avenues for drumset players? Any informal get-togethers that go on with other musicians (or even just other drummers)? Guitarists/singers have open mic nights, do drummers participate in those?

I just feel like I need to be working towards something because I'm afraid I may lose interest in practicing with no end goal in mind. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming Outlets

Open blues jams. You show up and just play like four songs, those are pretty sweet!

User Info Menu

Well if there isn't a place where you can go and jam maybe you can host one at your house . I've done this . We have jam nights at my house on Mondays . Usually they are musicians who are not in a band and don't want to be in one . Mostly students of my bass/guitar buddies and some times one of my students . It's great fun . Just have some of your buddies come over and jam . Lots of people do this .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Open mic / jam sessions are one option.

Just hang out with local musicians and they can tell you about jam sessions and who to talk to.