Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange way to Tune a Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Strange way to Tune a Snare

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    You don't have to go through all the steps that this guy does to achieve this "quick change" on a snare.

Just a simple turn or two on a lug or two near the bottom will achieve the same results.

I've been doing it for years and years.

If you look at most pics of me playing - you'll see a key on a tension rod at the ten o'clock position. I use this key to quickly loosen and tighten a rod at the 6 & 8 o'clock positions so I can have a snappy snare or a smooshy snare.. Takes two seconds.

(this is why I know it's going to bend hoops - because I've experienced it and have been bending them for years. lol)

Yea I've done that method too but this one seems to work way better .

User Info Menu

"If you look at most pics of me playing - you'll see a key on a tension rod at the ten o'clock position. I use this key to quickly loosen and tighten a rod at the 6 & 8 o'clock positions so I can have a snappy snare or a smooshy snare.. Takes two seconds. "-EddieV

My mentor said the same thing: loosen one tension rod...years ago.
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-20-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    You don't have to go through all the steps that this guy does to achieve this "quick change" on a snare.

Just a simple turn or two on a lug or two near the bottom will achieve the same results.

I've been doing it for years and years.
    So have I - but never with the dramatic changes that this guy's method produces. I'm an old guy, and it's been common knowledge forever that simply backing off a t-rod or two will quickly change your snare from a nice, tight popper into a more muffled tone that is a note or two lower. That's not what this guy's technique is achieving. It's far more dramatic - more the equivalent to swapping snares altogether. It's worth looking into and doing some experimenting. This should be a lot of fun.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I do a method such to this with my bass drum. Tighten it nice and tight to get a quick response but loosen the top lug to help deepen it back up.

User Info Menu

this wont work on all drums

if you tuned half of the snare i play like this it will sound like arse

User Info Menu

I had a question maybe one of you can help with. But I kind of like how Alex Van Halen has this dark thud sound to his snare on songs like "I'll wait". I try to emulate it sometimes by just dropping the snare wire all the way out. But then it often has too much over-ring. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a certain way detune a snare to get his sound? It kind of sounds like he's dropping the snare wires out but then tunes it up tight to get rid of the overring.

Well looking around I found this
    http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62258
    Seems he would use gaffers tape on his snare.
    Last edited by wired; 08-28-2015 at 08:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting method. I don't have 20 snares like Spaz but, I do have a few and am thinking I want to try this on one of them.

User Info Menu

Had a play with this today on my Pearl Brass free floater. Quite interesting

User Info Menu

Hello ppl, my first post

I tried this technique, but did not have a good reponse from my snare, it becomes very dry... maybe because my snare has two lugs less than him.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat DrumChespi!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    So have I - but never with the dramatic changes that this guy's method produces. I'm an old guy, and it's been common knowledge forever that simply backing off a t-rod or two will quickly change your snare from a nice, tight popper into a more muffled tone that is a note or two lower. That's not what this guy's technique is achieving. It's far more dramatic - more the equivalent to swapping snares altogether. It's worth looking into and doing some experimenting. This should be a lot of fun.

GeeDeeEmm
    I did some experimenting with this tuning technique - with great success. I tried it on my Ludwig Copperphonic snare - for recording purposes. I managed to get that very fat, classic snare sound - i.e. no overtones - just one big, fat, sweet fundamental. The tuning worked well on my wood Jazz Festival snare as well. Glad I tried it!

User Info Menu

So i'm watching a video from sweet water where hes demo'ing a snare drum. And he change the tuning, the first thing he did was loosen the 6oclock lug to nearly all the way... to lower the tuning more, he loosens half way the lug to the right and left of the 6oclock one.

Reminded me immediately of what this guy is doing in the video. Maybe it's not so crazy hah
    Last edited by SpatzST; 10-04-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I recently tried this tuning technique and got a really great sound out of my Mapex Black Widow snare. I did this with a new coated G1 batter head as I was changing it anyway as the old one had worn out. However, played at my next gig and ended up denting the head due to the limited tension towards the bottom of the head. This, along with fears of damaging the hoop, lugs and shell convinced me this is not the way for me.

It's a shame as that was the best I'd ever got that drum to sound.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |