Thread: Buying different brand addons?

User Info Menu

Default Buying different brand addons?

I've been looking for a 10" tom for my cs customs since I got them the drums are discontinued so it's rare to find a 10" in the red finish.

I found a premier artist maple 10" with the exact same finish. The seller is including the rim mount and a Gibraltar single tom mount for $60. The only thing is, my ludwigs are birch.

What do you guys think? My kit isn't leaving my house, and I don't think the maple sound will be too different.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying different brand addons?

It's not sound. But I tried wrapping a drum to match. And now it's close but not close enough and it drives me nuts. It shouldn't but it does. I am so OCD I want my kit to look it's best and sound it's best. It doesn't change sound but I can see the difference and I know others can do so it drives me nuts.

Hopefully they really are the exact same finish so it doesn't drive you nuts like mine did lol

User Info Menu

Tricky! (I'm assuming your toms are 12/13/16) - I have a set with 12/13/16 toms and I don't like the fact the 12/13 sound too close (also the 13 is 11" deep and the height was a pain for me mounted on top of the 22 kick) - I bought a 10 tom and although the colour matched perfectly the tom was too shallow and just didn't look right when I removed the 13 and played 10/12 up (the 12 was 10" deep and the 10 was something like 7 and a half" deep.
    The drums were poplar shelled and the 10" add on was basswood. Even though the woods didn't match and the bearing edge on the add on tom was completely different the sound wasn't a problem! The lugs on the 10 tom were also different but chrome just like the others and wasn't really noticeable. I eventually went back to 12/13 up as the shallow 10 tom made my drums look completely lopsided.

If you decide to go look at this tom, take your 12 tom with you for colour AND LUG comparison (many lugs look similar but some are so distinctive that the difference may stand out like a sore thumb - especially if the tom is going to be mounted next to your 12 on top of the kick) and you should be able to make a decision if the sound is going to work for you. I believe that Pearl (Reference?) sets use different wood shells and the smaller tom is maple - the different wood may not be an issue Also some people recommend using thinner, less muffled single ply batters on smaller toms and using twin ply on floor toms.

There is no harm in checking this drum out, but if in doubt walk away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've been looking for a 10" tom for my cs customs since I got them the drums are discontinued so it's rare to find a 10" in the red finish.

I found a premier artist maple 10" with the exact same finish. The seller is including the rim mount and a Gibraltar single tom mount for $60. The only thing is, my ludwigs are birch.

What do you guys think? My kit isn't leaving my house, and I don't think the maple sound will be too different.
    If the color is a match and the lugs are close enough for you, you should have no problems using the 10" birch. Go for it.

GeeDeeEmm