Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions- PDP Concept Maple

User Info Menu

Default First Impressions- PDP Concept Maple

After a week, I finally got a chance to take my new PDP's out of the cases and mess around with them for an hour or so. I have yet to actually "tune" them properly and play them, but here's my initial assessment;

FINISH-
    Can't complain. The lacquerd fade finish is phenominal. I'm not a fan of fades, but this natural/charcoal fade appeals to me. Really, it was the only Concept finish I like. PDP does not show this finish on their website for Concept Maples...only Birch. I read that this fade on Maples was exclusive to GC, MF and few other outlets.

HARDWARE-
    I'm honestly a little disappointed. The quality of the chrome is obviously cheap. There are numerous places on the hoops, lugs and FT legs where the plating is very thin & rough. The quality of some (not all) of the metal castings, wing nuts, etc. feels like cheap Chinese "pot metal". I anticipate some stripped threads in the future. Definitely not up to true DW standards. I'm OK with it however. I paid $599 for the 5pc Kit. They had to cut cost somewhere. The quality of the shells will justify upgrading/replacing hardware if needed.

SOUND-
    Definitely the "icing on the cake". Hard to believe $600 drums can sound like this! The bass drum is with doubt the most incredible I have ever heard or played. Perfect blend of power, punch and earth shaking resonance. I doubt I will ever install the supplied pillow, since I see no need to mic the bass for the type of gigs we play. The snare is fantastic. As is, it has a fair amount of ring to it. But.....add a half piece of Moongel, and it's studio quality. The toms are wonderful as well. The 10" is a touch drier than the 12" (probably due to size). The Tru-pitch rods are great. Even with factory heads (clear Ambos), I was able to get the set dialed in for a great sound in about 15 minutes. I can't wait to spend some time on it and install new batter heads. I have no doubt this will be an awesome sounding kit. With a few upgrades, it should be on par with the best of them.....at a fraction of the investment.

-Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Impressions- PDP Concept Maple

So many drummers can't believe the tone and punch of my kick either!! Definitely a PDP high point! I'll have to look closer at my hardware. I get the wing nuts but that's definitely a quick price reduction for sure on companies parts.

How do you like the snare drum? I couldn't get my factory PDP to sound the way I wanted and I've been swapping snares ever since.

User Info Menu

Beautiful drums! Love the finish!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So many drummers can't believe the tone and punch of my kick either!! Definitely a PDP high point! I'll have to look closer at my hardware. I get the wing nuts but that's definitely a quick price reduction for sure on companies parts.

How do you like the snare drum? I couldn't get my factory PDP to sound the way I wanted and I've been swapping snares ever since.
    Actually, the Concept snare is as impressive as the bass in my opinion. The mag throw off and copper snare wires are sweeeeeet. In standard form, it has a lot of "ringyness" to it, but it's a nice & warm, musical tone. It's a dream to play. Very sensitive with nice projection. I stuck half a piece of Moongel on it, and it's perfect for my taste. The cross-stick sound is loud and beautiful...almost sounds like a wood block. I doubt I'll even change the snare batter head.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the review. Looks like a good deal.

User Info Menu

Nice!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Nice drums......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Nice review! I remember that color doing pretty well on the PDP platinum exotics, the lugs and badge are almost identical to mine(lacquer). Sounds and reliability are what counts most to me. Personally, I can't see the drums when i'm playing anyway - mainly just the cymbals. I won't be concerned about the looks most of the time cause i'll be too busy playing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit! You're only going to love it more with age...I recommend switching out the batters and the resos - did you get the fusion sizes? The Evans EC2's on both the batter and reso side sound best in my opinion - and if you want a really punchy, deep bass sound - throw on the Evans Emad's. They will sound AMAZING!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new PDP's, N2Bluz! You must be stoked - and so cool that the bass & snare (the heart of any kit) both sound killer. Like the finish, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Congrats on the new kit! You're only going to love it more with age...I recommend switching out the batters and the resos - did you get the fusion sizes? The Evans EC2's on both the batter and reso side sound best in my opinion - and if you want a really punchy, deep bass sound - throw on the Evans Emad's. They will sound AMAZING!
    I think they call it a Rock kit; 10/12/16/22. I Used it for practice on Sunday. Im only using the 12 & 16FT right now. I already have an EMAD, EC2's, EC Reso's and even some Aquarian 2ply coated batter heads I can try out. I don't mic the drums, so I like a little "ring" in the toms. I tried the EC Reso heads on my Export kit already. They sound great, but from out in the audience it made the toms sound kinda dead.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    After a week, I finally got a chance to take my new PDP's out of the cases and mess around with them for an hour or so. I have yet to actually "tune" them properly and play them, but here's my initial assessment;

FINISH-
    Can't complain. The lacquerd fade finish is phenominal. I'm not a fan of fades, but this natural/charcoal fade appeals to me. Really, it was the only Concept finish I like. PDP does not show this finish on their website for Concept Maples...only Birch. I read that this fade on Maples was exclusive to GC, MF and few other outlets.

HARDWARE-
    I'm honestly a little disappointed. The quality of the chrome is obviously cheap. There are numerous places on the hoops, lugs and FT legs where the plating is very thin & rough. The quality of some (not all) of the metal castings, wing nuts, etc. feels like cheap Chinese "pot metal". I anticipate some stripped threads in the future. Definitely not up to true DW standards. I'm OK with it however. I paid $599 for the 5pc Kit. They had to cut cost somewhere. The quality of the shells will justify upgrading/replacing hardware if needed.

SOUND-
    Definitely the "icing on the cake". Hard to believe $600 drums can sound like this! The bass drum is with doubt the most incredible I have ever heard or played. Perfect blend of power, punch and earth shaking resonance. I doubt I will ever install the supplied pillow, since I see no need to mic the bass for the type of gigs we play. The snare is fantastic. As is, it has a fair amount of ring to it. But.....add a half piece of Moongel, and it's studio quality. The toms are wonderful as well. The 10" is a touch drier than the 12" (probably due to size). The Tru-pitch rods are great. Even with factory heads (clear Ambos), I was able to get the set dialed in for a great sound in about 15 minutes. I can't wait to spend some time on it and install new batter heads. I have no doubt this will be an awesome sounding kit. With a few upgrades, it should be on par with the best of them.....at a fraction of the investment.

I have no doubt you will love those drums. The Concept Birch replaced the FS Birch kit that I have (with 8" & 16" Concept toms mixed in, couldn't find them for FS and concepts natural to charcoal fade closely resembles the FS natural to charcoal burst except Concept is gloss laquer while FS is satin). I wasn't sure at first only having played maple kits in the past but, I have truly grown to love the sound from these drums and, the resonance they produce is something I won't be without again. I may add a maple kit to my collection again but, will always keep a birch kit and, all in all PDP has done pretty good at putting a good quality kit out for a decent price. I love my PDP's. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, bluz! Beautiful drums! I seriously like that charcoal fade...they challenge my cherry lacquer Collectors in the looks department, no joke!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Picture URL

BB Code
    With the stands in the way you can barely tell the difference between the 8" & 10" toms. Once again, I love my PDPs as I'm sure you will!

User Info Menu

Congrats...........looks like a gorgeous kit

User Info Menu

Thanks for a great review. PDP kits sound so nice. For me, moneywise, it's almost a toss up between that or a DW Design Series kit. If money was no object, the Collectors for sure!

User Info Menu

HARDWARE-
    I'm honestly a little disappointed. The quality of the chrome is obviously cheap. There are numerous places on the hoops, lugs and FT legs where the plating is very thin & rough. The quality of some (not all) of the metal castings, wing nuts, etc. feels like cheap Chinese "pot metal". I anticipate some stripped threads in the future. Definitely not up to true DW standards.
    Glad you pointed this out. The quality of chrome plating on kits in this price range is one of the important aspects that needs to be addressed. Even on some higher priced kits, the hoops tend to show a graininess that reveals the lack of time devoted to metal finishing and chrome plating. I would gladly pay an extra $50 for a kit with quality triple chrome plating.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Glad you pointed this out. The quality of chrome plating on kits in this price range is one of the important aspects that needs to be addressed. Even on some higher priced kits, the hoops tend to show a graininess that reveals the lack of time devoted to metal finishing and chrome plating. I would gladly pay an extra $50 for a kit with quality triple chrome plating.

GeeDeeEmm
    Yep. I hate to sound overly critical, but I'm used to the chrome on my old Premier kit. Even compared to my old Exports and Maxwins (entry level kits), the chrome is inferior. The spare salvage hoops I have laying around from old '80s Taiwan stencil kits have better quality plating. It's not a big deal really, you only notice upon close inspection by hand. The lugs, tom mount & spur brackets, etc. look OK. Im guessing it's just the hoops, FT legs and generic stuff that was out-sourced or purchased through low-bid. It's just the way they make beautiful looking, great sounding drums accessible to guys like me.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Congratulations, bluz! Beautiful drums! I seriously like that charcoal fade...they challenge my cherry lacquer Collectors in the looks department, no joke!!
    Thanks! The fade is rather odd. It doesn't photograph well. Going from a picture, I would have passed them by (not being a huge fan of fades or natural wood colors). In person, they just have a certain "charisma". The natural color is very warm, and the fade looks way more gradual. The lighting in our practice room is very odd as well....very old fluorescent shop lights.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Spent some time with the kit now. Tried several head and tuning combos, but nothing I really liked. Right now I have coated Aquarian Super2 batters over stock resos. It sound OK, but I just don't care for the Super2's. As much as I love the boomy bass, it's proven too much for our style of music. So.........

Today I ordered an EMAD2, full set of clear G2 batters and G1 resos, a Gibraltar single tom post with ball L-rod (since I only play 1-up) and a 6" brass trim ring to port the bass reso. If I ever decide to add the 10" and play it as a 5pc, all the heads will still match and I'll have the PDP double tom mount ready to go. I redeemed a coupon, so all this stuff was basically free. I hope these new basic heads will give me the versatile sound I want. I decided to try Evans this time. I hope I'm not disappointed.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Spent some time with the kit now. Tried several head and tuning combos, but nothing I really liked. Right now I have coated Aquarian Super2 batters over stock resos. It sound OK, but I just don't care for the Super2's. As much as I love the boomy bass, it's proven too much for our style of music. So.........

Today I ordered an EMAD2, full set of clear G2 batters and G1 resos, a Gibraltar single tom post with ball L-rod (since I only play 1-up) and a 6" brass trim ring to port the bass reso. If I ever decide to add the 10" and play it as a 5pc, all the heads will still match and I'll have the PDP double tom mount ready to go. I redeemed a coupon, so all this stuff was basically free. I hope these new basic heads will give me the versatile sound I want. I decided to try Evans this time. I hope I'm not disappointed.
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you had a chance to try the Super2 heads. I have a set on my Pork Pie birch kit and they sound just "ok". My last head purchase was all Evans and the kit was the Zickos acrylic kit. I used the EMAD2 on the batter for the bass drum/EQ3 un-ported for the reso. I like the results of the clear EC2 much better than the Remo clear Pinstripe heads.

User Info Menu

I'm running the GMAD bass drum head and had the G1 coated batters for a short time.
    They sounded great when I was teaching.

I ran the Black Chromes and loved them for my style and heavy playing
    Now I'm running the hydraulics and I'm not a huge fan compared to the black chrome.

But I'm a heavy hitter .

User Info Menu

I received the new heads and tom mount on Friday. The Gibraltar single tom post mount is very nice quality. Very reasonably priced too. Can't wait to install the the clear G2/G1 and EMAD heads! I wasn't sure what I would do with the new coated Super2's, but now I know. I sat in on another drummers kit on Saturday night. They invited my band to get up and play a few songs. His kit needed SERIOUS help. The heads were trashed and he only had a "ping" ride cymbal (no crashes). I tried to play some Stones without hitting a crash....I was swinging at air out of habit, LOL. They band is just starting out and their drummer (super nice older guy) has no money. He used to have a nice set of old Slingerlands and cymbals years ago, but he gave them to his son. Now he's trying to get started again. I told him I would give him a set of heads (Super2s) and see if I could dig up a crash cymbal. I have a 14" Wuhan Thin Crash (new) that I don't like, so I think I'll just give him the heads & cymbal for free to help him out.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Spent this afternoon installing the new G2/G1 heads and retuning the kit. I found some flaws on the bearing edges of the 12" tom, which slightly effects the tuning. I can tell there's some funny overtone and inconsistent pitch issues going on in the area of a couple lugs. One spot is fairly rough, and another area has a small chip out of it. Regardless, I managed to get it sounding pretty good....but it took a lot of fine tuning. The 16" FT tuned up instantly. I think I found the head combination and sound I was looking for. I'm trying to decide if I should call PDP about the bearing edge issues and run it buy them or just fix it myself....or leave it as is.

On a more positive note, the Gibraltar single post mount is sweeeeeet. Very well made, holds rock solid and matches the rest of the PDP hardware like it was made for it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I would call them up first it wouldn't hurt. And if nothing from them and you know you can take care of it then I'd take care of it.