Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Impressions- PDP Concept Maple

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Impressions- PDP Concept Maple

Thanks for the review. This largely reflects my experience since I moved to my PDP Concept Maples about a year ago. I opted for the 20" kick with 12" rack and 14" and 16" floor. It was the standard 4pc kit but I added the 14" floor.

The hardware, without doubt, is the overwhelming issue with this kit. I've had two wing nuts/bolts thread requring me to replace a floor tom leg mount and the rack toms mount. Interestingly, both the replacement parts seem to be a much better quality than the ones the kit came with - better chrome finish and improved bolts/nuts and operate much smoother than the other original parts that still remain.

I also had issues with the supplied single tom mount not being able to get it tight enough to hold the tom up. I replaced this with the gibralter single tom mount clamped to a cymbal arm for more flexibility around placement. Much better!

Overall, great sounding drums but the hardware is a bit shoddy.
    Last edited by BigFatDrummer; 10-02-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

They seem like $1000 kit shells with $500 kit hardware.....hence the $750 price, LOL. I'm OK with it. It allowed me to get into a quality shell pack on a limited budget. The Gibraltar single tom post made a huge improvement. For under $40 (including the ball L-rod) it was as worth the expense as new heads. The EMAD 2 bass head made the already excellent bass drum even better. Also, I lubricated the threads on all the PDP mounting brackets with Vasaline. That helped a lot. The "geniuses" at GC installed one bass drum hoop backwards and 3 of the washers were missing from the tension rods, LOL.
    I'm thinking of putting PDP wood hoops on the snare and better quality 2.3mm steel hoops on the 12" & 16" toms.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    They seem like $1000 kit shells with $500 kit hardware.....hence the $750 price, LOL. I'm OK with it. It allowed me to get into a quality shell pack on a limited budget. The Gibraltar single tom post made a huge improvement. For under $40 (including the ball L-rod) it was as worth the expense as new heads. The EMAD 2 bass head made the already excellent bass drum even better. Also, I lubricated the threads on all the PDP mounting brackets with Vasaline. That helped a lot. The "geniuses" at GC installed one bass drum hoop backwards and 3 of the washers were missing from the tension rods, LOL.
    I'm thinking of putting PDP wood hoops on the snare and better quality 2.3mm steel hoops on the 12" & 16" toms.
    Yeah I oiled my tension rods it helped. GC is full of noobs. lol
    I'd love to see wood hoops

User Info Menu

GC and MF sell them. Genuine PDP wood hoops (pair), made for 10 lug 14" snares. I play a lot of cross-stick, so it may be a nice functional mod.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for your post! I am looking into buying the concept maple 5 pc. Have played the drums at GC, and listened to them on stage when playing with a 2nd drummer this summer. They sound great, and I like a bass drum mount vs separate tom stands.

So after seeing the rims, and edges, would you buy them again, over any other similar priced kit? Just curious what else I should consider before I buy.
    Zildjin all around (mostly K)

User Info Menu

Well.....I've never looked in depth at any other similarly priced kit, so I can't really say. I'd guess the Concept Maples are very similar to other mid-line kits like Catalina Maples, Mapex Mars (Birch) etc.. Honestly, I bought them (over others) because they were on sale for $599 (5pc) PLUS........I got $150 back in store credit due to a promo! So.....for $450, I'm pretty darn happy. They are good drums. They sound great and look awesome. They fit my budget and current requirements. No doubt, I will upgrade to a pro level kit eventually.

I would not rule out ANY brand. I think the important thing to remember is this; any import maple kit for under $1000 is going to have some places where they "cut corners". If you're "OK" with that, then wait for a sale price and buy the one you like. If you want to be totally impressed with everything, then look in the $1500+ price range.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

The mid level Asian made kits being produced these days are really quite nice! I know this as I recently purchased a Ludwig Element ICON 4 pc birch shell kit and am pretty decently satisfied by the overall quality and sound! The woods use are largely Asian grown and may be a tad softer and some of the finish work i.e. plating and lacquer etc, may be suspect, but overall, if a big name manufacturer is going to put a badge with their logo on it and it's a mid level or above kit..it's pretty legit these days!

Nice looking drum set!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Thanks! PDP really nailed the finish. It is beautiful in person and flawless. They are excellent shells in all and sound great. The snare really blew me away. It had a TON of ring, and I was pretty worried about it. I stuck a 4" round piece of vinyl decal on the inside of the factory batter head (like a reverse dot) and spent an hour messing with the tuning. It now sounds fantastic, even with factory heads. Nice and warm, sensitive and just a little ring to give it some body and projection. With new G2/G1 heads, the toms sound sweet, but I still need to get the pitch intervals between them set. I've been playing it 1up/1down so far. I will get the whole 5pc kit dialed in eventually, it just takes time and experimentation.
    -Brian