Thread: set up

User Info Menu

Default set up

I realize its 90% personal preference but when it comes to sitting down at your kit is there a certain distance that your snare should be as far as being away from the body.
    I have my snare set up slightly to the left and my doesnt feel comfortable in the direct forward position,i also have it slight facing off to the left.

just curious how other set up.

Shazane Guest

Mine's set right in between my pedals, angled toward me and to the right, where it's really easy to get from the snare to the high tom, quick transitions are essential to my style.

User Info Menu

Aunkster, having the snare directly in front of you is the traditional setup. The tilt generally depends on whether you play with a matched grip, or a traditional grip. From there, though, you have to find the placement, and tilt, that is right for you. I guarantee that you will change it a number of times, raising and lowering the snare, tilting it in different directions, and altering the placement, as you grow in your drumming. Experiment, and have fun! Everybody does!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Exactly what PB said, you'll move it several times before you find your "comfort zone"

User Info Menu

Cool set up

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Mine's set right in between my pedals, angled toward me and to the right, where it's really easy to get from the snare to the high tom, quick transitions are essential to my style.
    Mine's set up a bit like Shazane--and by "to the right," I am assuming he means he tilts the right side of the snare so it looks somethin' like / (of course not quite so sharply! If I got it backwards, Shazane, I apologize ). I also tilt my floor tom slightly to my left so I can roll around the set faster.

BTW, allow enough space between you and the snare so you can play without "stickin'" yourself in the process...nuff sed...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

sonic_underground Guest

I set mine up right between my legs and irectly infront of me facing flat. but also i have it pushed quite far out as sometimes i find my arms get cramped up into my body

User Info Menu

Like PB said, you'll probably continue to experiment with set-ups as long as you play. I know I still switch things around sometimes, but I have a pretty solid idea of how I like my drums set up. The rim of my snare comes up almost to my waist, and the edge of the drum is probably a good 8 inches away from my body. It sits directly in front of me. My kick drum is pushed slightly ahead so my legs are at angle when I'm playing the pedals. My legs aren't parallel to the ground, but instead they point downwards at a very slight angle. That helps a lot with balance, because it's easy to throw your body off balance if your feet are right under your knees. Hope this helps!
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

My snare is set up right between my legs and tilting towards me, only a slight tilt and the front of the snare is about level with my waist, everything else is always changing though, i dont think ive ever set up the rest of my drum kit the same way twice lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zajn View Post
    Like PB said, you'll probably continue to experiment with set-ups as long as you play. I know I still switch things around sometimes, but I have a pretty solid idea of how I like my drums set up. The rim of my snare comes up almost to my waist, and the edge of the drum is probably a good 8 inches away from my body. It sits directly in front of me. My kick drum is pushed slightly ahead so my legs are at angle when I'm playing the pedals. My legs aren't parallel to the ground, but instead they point downwards at a very slight angle. That helps a lot with balance, because it's easy to throw your body off balance if your feet are right under your knees. Hope this helps!

Same here about the snare and my leg positioning. My snare is oh so very slightly tilted towards me but I think I might tilt it slighty back so I can access the rim shot easier.