Thread: Zoom Q8

User Info Menu

Default Zoom Q8

I got the Q8 last week, just haven't had a chance to do anything with it other than a fast video that I haven't looked at yet.

There are certainly a lot of features on it.

Recording Mode

Video Resolution Settings

Audio Quality Settings

Zoom in/out

Mixer Screen

Phantom Power Settings

PAD Settings

LO CUT Settings

Dynamics Settings

Stereo Link Settings

Level Meters

Most of the above are on a TouchScreen, so if you have big hands, it could be a (minor) problem.

I'll try to get something up tonight so you can compare the Q8 with my Q4.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zoom Q8

Sounds good Rick! I'm ready for a good video.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Great Rick hope to see you in action on it soon.
    One of the reasons why I don't have one too technical for me I am an old school boy that just like things to be simple and easy.

User Info Menu

that'll be nice! Nice pickup

User Info Menu

Truth is, its a video camera that once you make your initial settings, it becomes "Plug & Play". I been using the Zoom Q8 since 2016 and I never change anything. I plug in 2 mic cables, a USB power/transfer cable which is plugged into a USB charger to make sure my recording lasts till the end of the show. I mounted the camera on a stable boom mic stand with an adapter that has a large thumb screw that holds the camera steady. I video every Thursday and although I rarely ever post anything on public media sites, I make Blu-Ray and high quality DVD vids for the band members. I do use a "Paid For" Video and Audio app for the finished videos and by the way, making a WAV audio file of a recorded video takes about 20 seconds from start to finish, once you're ready to "Produce" the WAV audio file and it saves it to whatever file you select on your computer. For those who might want to know which "Application" I use, just PM me...as I dont want to be guilty of appearing to be "Selling" anything or Promoting someones products.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I know i'm a bit out of date in asking, but have they fixed the low lighting problems that were present on the q3? I remember that was a thing that bugged consumers for awhile, great sound - good video when you could actually see it haha.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I know i'm a bit out of date in asking, but have they fixed the low lighting problems that were present on the q3? I remember that was a thing that bugged consumers for awhile, great sound - good video when you could actually see it haha.
    I'm still using my Q8 on my videos so you can judge for yourself.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

The Q8 has multiple lighting selections and the videos come out excellent. Evidently they fixed the lighting problem starting with the Q4 and then added more lighting selections to the Q8.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Really like the Q8. Only issue I have is that, while recording, it resets itself every 17 minutes. Can't figure out how to turn that feature off. I know it probably has something to do with file size, but, it really blows because it interrupts recording at the most inopportune times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Really like the Q8. Only issue I have is that, while recording, it resets itself every 17 minutes. Can't figure out how to turn that feature off. I know it probably has something to do with file size, but, it really blows because it interrupts recording at the most inopportune times.
    Is it defective? Have you contacted the company about this issue?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That Zoom Q8 is really simple to operate... Ive had mine since 2016 and I spend the better part of a week learning the ins and outs of those settings by trial and error. I have a good small PA and ran my iPad thru it and recorded myself playing along with some tunes...play a tune with one setting...finish it up...download it to the computer .. play the video and listen to it thru my Klipsch sound system...try another setting etc till I got exactly what I wanted to see and hear. Once I did that... I took it to the gig and recorded..brought it home..decided I wanted to change the "lighting" option I had preselected. The next gig I recorded came out splendidly...now its plug and play although now I run mics thru a Behringer 6 channel mixer and then the L & R output goes into the camera inputs and I enable the outboard mics and disable the onboard mics. Oh yeah, I always use a USB cable plugged into my USB charger that keeps the camera's battery fully charged while Im recording...dont want to run a risk of the camera battery running out of juice before the end of the gig. You can use the onboard mic set up or do as I do and use outboard mics thru a mixer or simply plug two mics directly into the camera. It has two combination 1/4" source and XYL mic inputs.

User Info Menu

any chance there's a beauty mode?

User Info Menu

It's not defective. Same with GoPRO. This is due to a limitation of the .mov file, which the Q8, Q4, GoPRO and many other cameras I suspect use to record. The maximum size a .mov file can be is 4GB. Once this limit is reached while recording the camera will begin a new file to continue further recording.

User Info Menu

The Zoom Q8 was built this way and with the two "video editing" applications I use, those 17 minute sections flow from the first one to the next section etc., smoothly, both video wise and sound wise. Ive made numerous 1 hour Blu-Ray movies of our band and you would have no clue as to the fact that it was recorded in 17 minute sections. Just sayin ~~~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Concerning the 17 minute sections...its built in to the camera -- AND the 17 minute segments flow from one to the other flawlessly. Many time my recordings will start at close to the end of one segment and continue on to the next segment and I lose nothing between the segments. Ive posted two video's that I recorded with the Zoom Q8 and both video's were segmented until they were combined to make the completed video's.