Thread: Question on frame drum tuning

User Info Menu

Default Question on frame drum tuning

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a frame drum in Turkey. I originally thought it was a bendir but I'm pretty sure it's a tar since it has no snare gut.

I have scoured the internet and found no info on tuning pitches. This thing is a 16" goat skin tar and I have tuned it to a D, [D2 I think]. Does anything know anything about tuning range for this kind of drum and if it's OK to tune it to a D, or even an E.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know where to turn.

All the best,

L

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question on frame drum tuning

I have seen tar's with fixed tack heads, but cannot recall seeing one with tunable head.
    So yours has some type of hook-and-nut tuning ?

User Info Menu

Yes that's correct, here's a picture:

Called up a frame drum shop today.. even they couldn't tell me the tuning. Weird.

User Info Menu

Hey that's nice.

It's a folk instrument and the traditional drums do not have adjustable heads, so maybe there is no correct setting. Possibly traditional players sprinkle some water on the head to bring it where they prefer. I would think a clear resonant bass note would be the place to start, using your fingers to raise the pitch while playing.

User Info Menu

Joe I think you're right. I don't think there is a correct tuning as such, just a tuning that the drum sounds best at, or a small range. I think, in retrospect, that the D2 is too high for the resonant bass you mention. This weekend I will take it down a few semitones. Thank you so much for your help in this topic. It means a lot, information on working with these kinds of drums is so sparse on the internet, which is ironic given their age.

User Info Menu

Have fun ! Speaking of bendir drum, did you see my post here (it's the last one on this thread, #167)? My own psuedo-bendir conversion frame drum :

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...d-13416p7.html

User Info Menu

I have owned several frame drums in the past, and am going to buy a 16" tar soon actually. The ones I have used are tuned using a small tuning key. There are holes around the bottom of the shell that you tighten or loosen. Frame drums have a wide tuning range, there is no requirement. You'll be able to tell if the head is too tight fairly easily. I'd say there's a little over a half octave of good notes you can tune one of these to before it either is too loose or too tight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have owned several frame drums in the past, and am going to buy a 16" tar soon actually. The ones I have used are tuned using a small tuning key. There are holes around the bottom of the shell that you tighten or loosen. Frame drums have a wide tuning range, there is no requirement. You'll be able to tell if the head is too tight fairly easily. I'd say there's a little over a half octave of good notes you can tune one of these to before it either is too loose or too tight.
    Very useful, thank you. I have spent a long time looking for the information you gave given so it's very much appreciated. I'm using a D for the tuning at the moment. The drum seems to de-tune itself overnight but maybe it'll settle into the tuning soon.

User Info Menu

That's a common problem with frame drums with skin heads, they just de-tune very easily. Temperature / humidity is a big part of that.