Thread: No questions, just a hello

User Info Menu

Default No questions, just a hello

I hate posting on new forums without at least introducing myself first, so this is my attempt at that since you'll be "seeing" and "hearing" a bit from me here and there.

I'm a recent hand drum junkie, and I do mean recent. I actually went into a drum store the other day to pick up some bongos. My primary instrument is keys and after a twenty year hiatus from lessons, I've started up again recently, and jazz at that - which I had zero experience in the past. So my teacher keeps drilling rhythm, rhythm, rhythm into my noggin and tells me to hand drum all the time. I finally figured it would be more fun to hand drum on an actual drum instead of my stomach, chest, legs or steering wheel.

Anyway, I let the employee talk me into a Toca Synergy Freestyle Djembe and picked up a caxixi and shaker. The next day I couldn't help myself from using the 15% off coupon for some LP Gen II bongos along with some maracas, one shot shaker and a clave. (what can I say...I'm a sucker for Latin percussion and I make electronic music, so I figure this stuff will be a lot more fun to throw into my productions then sample mashing) Today I upgraded to a traditional Mali Djembe and what a difference that makes! (can actually hear the difference between a tone and a slap) Already banging out some fun stuff on the Djembe and suprisingly picked up the martillo on the bongos.

To close, I just wanted to say thanks for all the info you guys have here...I've read pretty much every thread pertaining to my stuff, or the stuff I'm interested in. Seems to be a great group here. Looking forward to getting to the point where I can actually contribute info instead of just mooching info from you all.

User Info Menu

Default Re: No questions, just a hello

Welcome to Drum Chat, ImNotDedYet.

Please add your input as well as ask any questions.

Thanks for joining.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I wish more musicians would study percussion. Some people do not play in time and I can't always help them.

User Info Menu

thanks for introducing!

User Info Menu

Welcome! Nice introduction, and I am glad you are here.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum ImNotDedYet! Great introduction and look forward to "seeing" hanging around.

User Info Menu

Thx to you all! Looking forward to participating!

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum!
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Cool Re: No questions, just a hello

Welcome aboard, ImNotDedYet!

You're never too old to pick up the beat, so to speak. And as a keyboard man early on, you were actually working with a percussion instrument (the piano) before you ever slapped out a martillo.

Your story sounds a bit like mine. I began taking lessons over 30 years ago because I just dug the sound of hand drums and I wanted to play them more professionally. (I was in fact the longest continuous student my drum teacher AND buddy ever taught!) I also learned the set, of course, but I'm a bongo and conga man through and through.

DrumChat is THE VERY BEST drum forum on the Internet, and it's in no small part thanks to the knowledgable drumming brothers and sisters who share their experiences with each other.

You're well on your way to being another "bongo brother!" Enjoy the journey!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck