Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is weird.learning to read sheet music!

User Info Menu

Default Re: This is weird.learning to read sheet music!

User Info Menu

can/'t see the vid either...my strategy would be to do a really awesome double stroke roll and say, "you can read/play scales ect, but nobody else can do a roll like that" then storm off like the rock star you are

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Yeah that's the guy..Lypur, the guy was actually a concert pianist, but the gist of the lesson was this saying.. if you start at the top of the circle starting from the Key of (F) going clockwise..
    Father Charles goes down and ends battle.
    if we ignore the F because that's a flat key. We take the First letter of this saying and we get all the sharp keys in this order C,G,D,A,E,B and then we still have two more sharp keys which are F#.C#
    So all the sharp keys moving in 5ths down the right side of the circle of 5ths would be C,G,D,A,E,B,F#,C#

now to remember the flat keys we go counter clockwise and we reverse the saying.
    Battle ends and down goes Charles father.
    simple we add the key of F to start that has one flat.
    and we get this...
    F,Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb,(Fb)<--this is actually the same of key of E major but it's the enharmonic equivalent . Also notice how "BEAD" is spelt out as well"

To make things worse you do have several keys that are enharmonic to each other.. But with enough study and using flash cards. We slowly remember these..It's no step for a stepper... and I no doubt you will be fine.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    can/'t see the vid either...my strategy would be to do a really awesome double stroke roll and say, "you can read/play scales ect, but nobody else can do a roll like that" then storm off like the rock star you are
    2 thumbs up for this !
    made me laugh

User Info Menu

Thanks
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Hey Bridie I don't know how far your teacher wants to take this nonsense. But the circle of 5ths is pretty deep. i mean I spent a whole winter up in a deer stand one year learning all the sharps i& flats in any key signature and it really kicked my butt bad!

But I was also learning how to spell chords. Like a major chord is a Root,Maj3rd, and a 5th and flatten the maj3 into a min3rd and you have a minor chord. diminished,augmented chord spellings because I play a lot of arpeggios. .Crap like that.

What help me was I've been a guitarist for almost 30 years and I can visualize the fret board in my head.. It really helps if you can play a little bit of piano,guitar or bass..something that you can see the layout and how the notes fall out . I can't imagine trying to process all that information without a visual reference.

But yeah build a major scale on every key signature if you want to learn all the sharps and flats in each key. and you will see what I mean..It's grueling committing all that memory. also you should learn the relative minor to each major key as well. Good luck and study hard..put some hours into it. use the flash cards. I don't mean to discourage you because I know you can do it. But yeah learning all that is HARD WORK!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Thanks
    Bridie
    You asked a simple question about reading sheet music, and now you've been inundated with music theory. Music theory can sound complicated and overwhelming when someone tries to explain in words. I find that it makes a whole lot more sense when you pick up a guitar or bass, and walk your fingers up and down the fretboard. Same patterns, same relationships, laid out across the frets and up and down the neck.

Hey, by the way ... is that you on that 'other' drum forum with a different name ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    You asked a simple question about reading sheet music, and now you've been inundated with music theory. Music theory can sound complicated and overwhelming when someone tries to explain in words. I find that it makes a whole lot more sense when you pick up a guitar or bass, and walk your fingers up and down the fretboard. Same patterns, same relationships, laid out across the frets and up and down the neck.

Hey, by the way ... is that you on that 'other' drum forum with a different name ?
    I agree it is simple patterns. But it helps big time to be able to visualize their layout. And she asked for help with the key signatures.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    But here's another secret. If you teacher does want you to be able to recite
    all the sharps and flats in any key. The secret is they too fall in the same order as "Father Charles goes down and ends battle. and the reverse for the flat keys.

The Key of G has one sharp which is "F#", The key of D has two sharps which are "F#,C#".
    the Key of A has three sharps "F#,C#,G#.
    You see the pattern don't cha? lol..
    Last edited by wired; 10-02-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Yeah, it is a massive thing! But saying that people who don't drum think it is just hitting stuff right? My tutor says that a lot, and we all know different.
    I do play guitar, bass and piano/ keys , but I wouldn't call my self a pianist because I don't read the notes ( not yet anyway!)
    I play by ear, and my Mum has explained a few things for me and I was like oh, that's what it's called
    Given the chance I would spend all day in a room of instruments just jamming along!
    So I know know a treble clef stave with a snare drum note on it is a 'C'
    I guess it is like learning a second language in a way, thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it lots!
    Bridie

And yeah I am on the other forum too!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    :
    I guess it is like learning a second language in a way, thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it lots!
    Bridie

And yeah I am on the other forum too!!
    LOL, I noticed a spooky resemblance.

Yeah, written music is a language for composers and arrangers to communicate to musicians. I read bass clef when I played trombone in my school band and when I played bass in the high school jazz ensemble. But in all the years since, I played bass in various rock bands, and also for a time, I played banjo and accordion in what you might call an alt-country band ... in none of those bands did we ever use published arrangements. We'd just work up our own parts based on the chord progressions. That's where a working knowledge of basic music theory was helpful to me.

User Info Menu

Right, I I learned the circle of fifths! Tada
    I made up my own rhyme for it and I will never forget it,
    F farts
    C can
    G give
    D Dad
    A an
    E explosive
    B butt
    It works for me ,
    Bridie
    :P

User Info Menu

Good one ! Your father must be so proud.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 10-04-2015 at 07:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Good one ! Your father must be so proud.
    I
    Shh, don't tell him.

User Info Menu

Maybe strange British musical notation is the real reason for the American Revolution.

Never heard of those terms before Bridie.

User Info Menu

That's frigging hilarious. .....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Wow! way better than...

Father

Charles

Goes

Down

And

Ends

Battles

all the best...