Thread: Studio time

User Info Menu

Default Studio time

In less than 36 hours I'll be in the studio. I'm really looking forward to it, as it will be my first time recording in an actual studio. Thursday night is scheduled for setup getting the sound dialed in and maybe starting to do some tracking. Friday night will be the bulk of the tracking. Saturday has been set aside for vocals and guitar overdubs. We're going to be recording to tape. That's cool because I've always thought that tape and drums have a certain mojo. However, I realize that it leaves less room for error. It should be an interesting experience.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Studio time

Done this dozens of times..................fun !
    No matter if it's tape or hard-drive, the drums (usually, not always) are recorded first..................Drums are the studio-foundation to everything else.

1) All other players know how to follow a drum track;
    2) So many open mics on drums, if done first this leaves no possible bleed-over to other tracks.

I love to get the drum tracks knocked out then spend the rest of the day at the board with the engineer..............great stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

have fun!! i've been in the studio a couple of times, it's a great experience.

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Egad ! I have recorded in dozens of studios from a one-man basement operation to a big commercial studio. And on different instruments, over the years. I prefer live performing. Understand that your chances of completing in the anticipated timeframe can be pretty slim. More time on the clock is more money out of your pocket. That's to the studio-owner's benefit. But first of all make sure your band is well-rehearsed: the studio, with the clock ticking, is not the place to work out your material (unless you're a wealthy famous band). Also you will discover that recording songs piecemeal, one instrument at a time, punching in parts, etc. is drastically different than live playing, and could throw you off (and cost you more $$). Well, relax and have fun and good luck. [PS- be weary of engineers who offer free weed to the musicians .. may seem generous and a way to 'get into the groove' ... ha ! I have learned from personal experience just another ploy to put more time on the clock !]

Sorry for sounding negative. I really hope you get a product that you are ultimately proud of.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 09-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Egad ! I have recorded in dozens of studios from a one-man basement operation to a big commercial studio. And on different instruments, over the years. I prefer live performing. Understand that your chances of completing in the anticipated timeframe can be pretty slim. More time on the clock is more money out of your pocket. That's to the studio-owner's benefit. But first of all make sure your band is well-rehearsed: the studio, with the clock ticking, is not the place to work out your material (unless you're a wealthy famous band). Also you will discover that recording songs piecemeal, one instrument at a time, punching in parts, etc. is drastically different than live playing, and could throw you off (and cost you more $$). Well, relax and have fun and good luck. [PS- be weary of engineers who offer free weed to the musicians .. may seem generous and a way to 'get into the groove' ... ha ! I have learned from personal experience just another ploy to put more time on the clock !]

Sorry for sounding negative. I really hope you get a product that you are ultimately proud of.
    No worries about sounding negative. We're actually planning to record drums, bass, and rhythm guitar live and avoid having to punch in as much as possible. We're only trying to get three songs done and we worked them pretty hard the last two weeks. I think we're good to go as long as nobody has an off night.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post

All pretty valid points, however, if you're working with a guy that is just there to milk the clock on you..........then you're working with the wrong guy.

I'm in the studio now and the sound engineer is awesome. Didn't charge us for set up time. Clock didn't start ticking till the first down beat.

We recorded some vocals last night and, off the clock, on one of our tracks he showed us how he cleans up the vocals. Why? In his words.....he loves doing it and wanted us to see what and how he does what he does.

Saturday we layed drums, lead and rhythm guitar and bass tracks to SEVEN songs. Came back last night layed lead vocals to two songs, back up vocals to two songs and punched into a few tracks that needed a bit of instrumental cleaning up. This Friday we'll be going back in to finish with lead and back up vocal tracks.

To me, live gigging is more fun but recording is fun too if you are prepared. Bottom line......any friggin' time I'm beating on drums.......I'm happy.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 09-16-2015 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Studio is fun. Know your material, but remember, you're there to have fun. Even if it is costing you money. Be loose. Go with the flow. Finish your tracks and drink beer while the others are tracking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    We're actually planning to record drums, bass, and rhythm guitar live and avoid having to punch in as much as possible.
    As we record the drum tracks we, of course, have the bass and rhythm play along as well (line-in............no mic).
    The objective is to nail down the drums first and add everything else later as needed.
    If we get lucky and also get any bass and/or rhythm tracks that we can use, then great................but usually those are recorded singularly and stacked.
    That way you are free to use a mic or line-in or both, depending on the need of the instrument and the preference of the player.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 09-16-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    As we record the drum tracks we, of course, have the bass and rhythm play along as well (line-in............no mic).
    The objective is to nail down the drums first and add everything else later as needed.
    If we get lucky and also get any bass and/or rhythm tracks that we can use, then great................but usually those are recorded singularly and stacked.
    That way you are free to use a mic or line-in or both, depending on the need of the instrument and the preference of the player.
    Absolutely. We always tried to keep one rhythm track. Punch in as necessary and then do other rhythm, lead, bass, vocals, etc.

I think doing things live complicates things, as does trying to feel it out without a click track.

I'm a fan of clicks and each instrument individually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    No matter if it's tape or hard-drive, the drums (usually, not always) are recorded first.

I have heard this before and was originally confused.

I thought it meant that the drummer played his part with nothing but a click and I am pretty sure I wouldn't know where the hell I was in the song.

After reading some more, I now assume that at least some portion of the song is also playing.

User Info Menu

Everyone has made good points. I don't know if things will go down according to plan, but I know the material and feel confident that I can adapt as necessary.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Recording is extremely gratifying to me. It's therapeutic, introspective, and it's a lot of fun.

Most of my recording I've done at home, because I play guitar as well, and I've used programmed drums (I know, I can hear you booing me!). I've only been in a recording studio once, and that was with my old band Damnesia back in 2008.

With my current band, we plan on recording in the winter, and I can't wait! I haven't recorded live drums in a long time and I'm really excited.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    I have heard this before and was originally confused.

I thought it meant that the drummer played his part with nothing but a click and I am pretty sure I wouldn't know where the hell I was in the song.

After reading some more, I now assume that at least some portion of the song is also playing.
    Yes..............other instruments are there too.............but tracks other than drums might not be kept.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

hey weezy how's the studio going? make sure to get your headphones right and blast away. keep us posted
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

It was a good experience. We did do all the rhythm tracks live, on Thursday. The kit was well tuned and the radio king snare was a pleasant surprise. The room was also turned very well. I'm still waiting on the roughs, but it sounded good from the board. I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Turns out I have time now...

Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

nice pics. are these your drums? what kind are they? looks like a birdseye finish. How did that mic stand not get in the way
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's quite a kit! House kit? Can't wait to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    nice pics. are these your drums? what kind are they? looks like a birdseye finish. How did that mic stand not get in the way
    I can't tell you much about the kit other than that it was custom built and has hundreds of shows on it. It belongs to the drummer fom Hum Machine. The figured maple finish looked amazing, even with all the scratches. The only things that I used of my own were sticks and my 16" AA bright crash. It sounded good along with 16" HH sound control crash that was there.

The mic wasn't too hard to avoid. I did bump the one over my shoulder at one point. It's much closer to the bass hoop than it looks in the picture.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

is there an extension piece on the kick?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    is there an extension piece on the kick?
    It's another bass shell set up in front. Mic in a tunnel kind of deal.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Turns out I have time now...

Looks like a "Bearing Edge" kit..............used to own a snare from them and it was built nearly identically

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Looks like a "Bearing Edge" kit..............used to own a snare from them and it was built nearly identically
    I did see a matching snare in the storage room. The guitar player sent me the roughs, so I guess that I should figure out how to share them.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Is that snare not an old Slingy ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Sure is. 1940's vintage, according to the engineer.
    Mmm... Saturns.