Thread: Shell paint remover

User Info Menu

Default Shell paint remover

I dug out an old Premier Royal Ace snare and want to restore it, one big problem is the original plastic skin has been painted over with budget black gloss.
    I want to clean off the paint without damaging the surface underneath so I guess paint stripper is out. I've been using meths as it works slowly, white spirit just polishes the awful black paint.

Anyone got any ideas how I can do this?

(now that Nick Hopkins Drums are getting tiny grub screws made I can get the snare mechanism working -- next will be spending loads on the snare wires as they are also very, very limited)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shell paint remover

I used an aerosol spray Graffiti Remover on my Premier bass drum that had been spray painted. It allowed me to wipe the paint off and did not effect the drums original Lacquer finish. I bought it at Sherwin Williams. I don't know if it would harm plastic or not, but I'm sure it would say on the label. I would check hardware and paint stores or the Internet for products designed to remove graffiti.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sounds good, I'l give it a try (on a spot where it won't be noticed to easily . . .)

User Info Menu

Unless a drum were stolen, why in the world would someone spray paint over laquer or over a wrap for that matter?

all the best...

User Info Menu

In my case, to cover up the giant marijuana leaves that a previous owner painted on the sides of the shells, LOL. What got me was they didn't remove or even mask off the lugs & hardware....just painted over everything.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Unless a drum were stolen, why in the world would someone spray paint over laquer or over a wrap for that matter?

all the best...
    I've sprayed over wraps to make a bunch of mixed starter kit shells match. I originally intended to strip the shells and use a clear varnish but realised the floor tom was luan and the toms and kick poplar - the floor tom would have been noticeably darker than the toms and kick after varnishing. The 'set' has essentially zero monetary value and with the exception of replacement heads I wasn't willing to put any money into it.

User Info Menu

I just found a second bass drum for my set. The last owner apparently spray painted the whole inside of the shell black. I'm dealing with a similar problem. I scrubbed for about 45minutes with acetone and I'm barely seeing the grain in one small patch.

What graffiti remover did you use Keifie and how did it work?

User Info Menu

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get paint off of wood without sanding it. The pigments soak in to the grain.....essentially no different than wood stain. Option #2 is paint over it with tan/brown paint to look more like bare wood.....or live with it like it is.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Remobeater View Post
    I just found a second bass drum for my set. The last owner apparently spray painted the whole inside of the shell black. I'm dealing with a similar problem. I scrubbed for about 45minutes with acetone and I'm barely seeing the grain in one small patch.

Why bother? Some companies paint the interior of drums. There is no apparent tonal loss.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well it's for a double bass set so it would be nice if it matched the other bass drum. It's definitely a lot of work. I could use opaque drum heads but I like the sounds I'm getting now with a clear PS3. Would sanding effect the tone at all? I can't imagine it would be close to 1/2 a ply.

User Info Menu

You could score the paintwork of the painted bass with sandpaper then paint the inside of both bass drums. If bare wood is painted it will take a lot of stripping/sanding to remove all traces. As mentioned earlier it will tend to soak into the grain and you may have to remove a lot of material until the internal ply is clear of paint.

I would be tempted to paint the insides of both with granitone style paint. It never did Ludwig drums any harm.

User Info Menu

I just used goof off on a ludwig supraphonic. It worked very, very well. I know it's much harder with bare wood, but that stuff works quite and might be worth a shot.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Did you try a generic paint stripper....like a thick brush-on gel stripper? It may work on the majority, then some light sanding. You may not be able to get it completely out of the grain, but it might not be very noticeable through a clear head.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I started using some spray-on paint stripper. It looks like it is doing a decent job getting all of the top coats of paint. It just leaves the paint soaked into the grain. Some areas like the edges it came off almost completely (maybe there was wax underneath). I think with a little bit of sanding I can get most of it off.

Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Remobeater View Post

had the exact same challenge with a Yamaha Tour bass drum. The whole thread is in the drumset forum I think but here are some before and after pics of removing the paint. Paint stripper and sand paper will work fine. Also I used no powered sanders, everything by hand and it didn't take long. Sprayed on a urethane after sanding.

Last edited by slinky; 11-09-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

^great work cleaning that up.
    I believe I remember your thread.

User Info Menu

thanks spaz
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Nice job on the bass drum slinky! I used acetone and wet sanded just to get some glue off of some old shells I left uncovered.