Thread: Which module for a lot of drums and cymbals???

User Info Menu

Default Which module for a lot of drums and cymbals???

I just converted my Tama 9 piece kit to electronic and I have ten cymbals as well which I am putting triggers on so I can use them as acoustic or electric. What module or module's should I use so I can play them all. Roland, Yamaha, 2box, Alesis, just go midi with a cheapo used module or pair of modules???

Come on folks, I really need some advice here. Thanks to all who contribute!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which module for a lot of drums and cymbals???

depends on your budget. If you can afford something like a Roland TD20, it has plenty or inputs as well as several aux inputs. You can split each of the tom head and rim inputs to give you extras as well. It still won't give you enough to cover off all your cymbals and drums, but it has midi through, so you can add another module and chain them, if needed.

As a cheaper alternative you could look into a megadrum setup, lots of inputs, but also a lot of tweaking needed. Not an out of the box plug and play solution.

2Box is a great module but nowhere near enough inputs for your project.
    I don't have much experience with Yamaha or Alesis to give you any opinion on them.

I assume that whatever module you choose to use, you will be triggering a vst via midi, like Superior Drummer, BFD, Addictive Drums?
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which module for a lot of drums and cymbals???

Not sure exactly how many inputs I could stretch my dtx 500, but I have it set up as a 6 piece set with 4 cymbals + HH, im pretty sure you could get at least 1 more drum in there and maybe a few more of the cymbals.

I would guess the best thing for your situation is to buy a bunch of triggers and hook them up to your computer somehow, it will probably also be the cheapest option since you will be buying just the midi module and perhaps software if it isn't free/pirated (i always prefer the second option, arrrh matey!)