Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drum Room Flood, Luck, and Rebirth!

User Info Menu

Default Drum Room Flood, Luck, and Rebirth!

The Flood:
    On Tuesday July 9th,2015 my basement, and therefore Drum room, flooded. I got the call from the wife as I sat down at the e-kit at rehearsal. It had been raining heavily for about 2 days. I raced home to find a 1/2 inch of water just peeking out above the pile of the carpet. I checked the sump pump and it was dead. I raced off to Lowes and bought a pump and hurried home to find another inch plus of water had accumulated.

The Luck:
    We were leaving for a vacation to the Chesapeake bay on Thursday, and it had been raining on and off for weeks, so Monday night, the night before the flood, I moved the bass drums, and most everything non hardware related, onto rubbermaid tubs.

The Rebirth:
    I have slowly and tediously cleaned up the mess and built myself a new drum room. I have taken photographs along the project and it is nearly complete. I will be posting pictures of the entire process with at least one picture a day.

The room prior:

What I came home to, prior to running out to get new sump:

Carpet out, Mold Carnage:

Pictures of project to follow daily!
    Last edited by Rotarded; 10-04-2015 at 09:03 PM.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Room Flood, Luck, and Rebirth!

Oh man..that's one of my worst nightmares. Glad you caught it in time.

User Info Menu

So sorry. What a pain!

I've been through it!!!

User Info Menu

Wow! I know your pain. My basement flooded around mid-August. Except.....it wasn't Mother Nature and rain water, it was the City Utilities and sewer water, LOL. The city went around town cleaning the sewer mains with high pressure (4000psi) water. Evidently, there was a root ball plug in the main just up stream from my sewer connection. My floor drains became the "relief valve" and they pumped my basement full of water. My utility (laundry) room, drum room and my son's bedroom are all in the basement. Luckily, the floors are all painted concrete and the walls are all brick. The water receded back down the drains, but the entire basement floors were covered in "black sewer muck" and there was ankle deep water standing in my son's bedroom. We spent 3 days scrubbing and disinfecting the basement. Had to buy my son a new bed and dresser. My drums were all up on the new drum rack I built and were elevated above the water line. I'm glad I didn't have carpet or drywall....that would have been a real mess and a ton more work.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Glad the damage was minimal. I'm looking forward to seeing the new project.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

/I guess the only real danger below 6" for us are the HH and BD pedals and BD, amps and guitar cases on the ground would be completely fragged!

Where on the bay did you go? soft shell season!

User Info Menu

Here in Florida people don't have basements. I think it is because flooding is common around here.

User Info Menu

My wife and I took our grandkids to a movie two winters ago. When we returned, I opened the front door and water came rushing out like I was standing in a small creek. One of the kids had flushed the toilet before we left and the valve had stuck open. The only saving grace of the situation was that the door into the music room had a good seal on the bottom (it used to be the outside door into the carport) and stopped the water from infiltrating.

Now, before leaving the house, I check every toilet to make sure there is no running water - or stoves left on, no doors unlocked, and a half dozed other potential hazards.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

that is awful!!!! I'm so sorry to see that! I'm glad the drums are safe. Time to build risers for each kit!

User Info Menu

Oh man, my condolences. I have been through the flooded basement thing three times - two weather related and one leaking water tank. It is stunning just how much damage water can do - and how expensive it can be to repair the damage.

On the positive side, none of my musical equipment was damaged. On the not so positive side, the basement was finished and it cost big money to fix. Most was covered by insurance luckily (although as you can well image, insurance now costs me more).

Anyway, I wish you all the best in your restoration project. You seem to be handling it very well.

User Info Menu

That is one of the reasons why my kit is in a Bunkie/shed above the ground this way they will never get flooded. Always hated basements for humidity, mold etc. My house has no basement it is built on a slab which also makes it cheaper on insurance for water damage. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

The next step was mold cleanup. I got everything dried completely and the sprayed the walls with hydrogen Peroxide and let sit for 24 hours.

Scrubbed thoroughly, then 2 coast of KILLZ paint:

I had to make the call on flooring. I was done with carpet directly on the floor so I chose a vinyl planking that was wood look. It will simply mop up should there be any more floods. I did install a sump pump with multiple floats, a battery backup, and will call my cell when the water level reaches a pre determined level.

The beginning of the installation at the opposite side of the basement:

More to follow tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    /I guess the only real danger below 6" for us are the HH and BD pedals and BD, amps and guitar cases on the ground would be completely fragged!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that is awful!!!! I'm so sorry to see that! I'm glad the drums are safe. Time to build risers for each kit!
    jgziegler and Spaz, Hold those thoughts. These subjects will come up later in the build!

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    /Where on the bay did you go? soft shell season!
    Kent Island

User Info Menu

Is that a floating floor or are the undersides sticky?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Is that a floating floor or are the undersides sticky?
    Floating. No underlayment required.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

That looks awesome. I've considered the floating floors in my basement, but what happens if water gets under the floor again? Do you then have a mold issue under the floor? Will the floor absorb water and get swollen like particle board or some phenolic do? Do you first put down that plastic underlayment with the nubs to elevate the floor?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice work cleaning up the mold. That killz works great.

vinyl Wood is looking nice!

User Info Menu

Looking good! Stinks about the flood but the new room will look awesome.

User Info Menu

Looks good! But what is a floating floor?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Looks good! But what is a floating floor?
    Basically, it just lays on the concrete like a big piece of plywood and is allowed to move around ever so slightly. You leave a gap around the edges so it can float and expand with temp changes.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Wow my worst nightmare, sorry to you for all that work,I'm glad that's brick and concrete floor, your new flooring looks great

User Info Menu

Boy that really is a lot of work but it's looking nice and sanitized now.

Not only is failed sump pumps and sewer back ups really bad but so is when the water heater goes and you don't know it until you step in soppy carpeting.

That was a quick $600.00 fix we had to have back in '08. No complaints really as the water heater was roughly 15 years old. I had no idea how long it was supposed to last.

Luckily I was able to replace it myself.

No drums were hurt during that ordeal, either. Can't say so much for the carpeting.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Flooring in process:

More to come!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    Floating. No underlayment required.
    WOW looks very nice, when you get a second could you let me know the brand name and what the cost per sq ft is? I am Thinking of doing this in my basement as well. Mine flooded about 6 years ago and all the paint on the concrete floor came up and clogged my pump which caused even bigger issues. I have no plans on repainting it but been thinking about this floating floor type.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

that really turned out great!