Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes the Gig Just Isn't Worth It

User Info Menu

Default Sometimes the Gig Just Isn't Worth It

So....................................
    A few months back, my band is playing a (good) club gig in town....................one of our favorites.
    And at the break this guy hurries up to the stage and tells us -- gosh, you guys are great and I want you to play a private gig at my country club.
    OK -- sounds good.
    He gets an email address from my guitarist and says he will be in touch.........................OK, whatever.

Sure enough, about 2 weeks later we get an email from a guy at the country club that books the bands.
    They have a live band every Friday night for their members -- apparently it is popular for the members to eat dinner there on Friday eve and hang around in the main lounge/bar and enjoy the band and the libations.

We are told that all equipment must be loaded in and set up no later than 7PM and the band will begin music at 8:30PM.
    And please play at a lower volume because the members like to be able to talk.
    So we immediately think................"Not our type of gig -BUT- there are moneyed types there that hire many a band for weddings, corporate parties, etc."

We are booked to play there next Friday night, July 20th.
    At that point this guy sends us their "Book of Rules" pdf version..............................seriously ?

Well -- it just so happens that the head golf pro at this club lives across the street from me -- one day I see him working in the yard and I ask him about this employee that books the bands. Turns out he is not an employee -- he is a member that likes to be in charge of the music and is known to be a management wannabe.

Yesterday I send an email asking two simple questions:
    Do you prefer two long sets or three shorter sets ?
    What time do the bands generally say goodnight ?

The guy responds and sends us a long message telling us to play all songs at 3 or 4 minutes; play three fast songs and then one slow song; all songs, whether fast or slow, must be dance songs; remember to play at a low volume; bring lights because the bar does not supply them; never take a break longer than 15 minutes; do not bring any guests because the bar is for members only, etc., etc.

I asked two questions and got 34 answers..................another version of the "Book of Rules".
    Now remember.............................this all began with one of their club members wanting us to play there (which turns out to be a bad idea) -- we didn't go looking for this gig.
    We are a rock band that plays at this certain popular rock club in town, and this guy is doing everything he can to tell us not to be like that.

Today we sent him a simple, professional message and respectfully declined the gig by telling him that our "recent communications have convinced us that we are not the right band for this gig." We even suggested some other bands (and included their contact information) that might be a better fit and we apologized for any inconvenience.

All 5 of us in the band decided this guy just ain't worth the hassle.
    He talked down to us and treated us like we are a bunch of hungry college kids ready to jump at any gig.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sometimes the Gig Just Isn't Worth It

You did the right thing Ricardo.

User Info Menu

I think you made the right choice.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Awesome response, and sounds like a great idea to not play that gig. I agree sometimes a gig is just not worth the hassle
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

WTG...I would of declined as well. Its funny how all the people who complain on volume are the ones that sit at tables closest to the band.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Good decision. There are enough headaches in life without having some rich moron barking orders at you and treating you like his personal jukebox. Life's too short. Plenty of other GOOD gigs.

User Info Menu

wow that's unbelievable lol
    You should have invited him over to practice to help create the set list hahaha

User Info Menu

Can someone explain why my posts have to be moderator approved before they show up? Is it because I'm a newbie?
    Edit: Now this post showed up just fine but my previous post had to be approved by a moderator and I still don't see it.
    I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You did the right thing Ricardo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I think you made the right choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Awesome response, and sounds like a great idea to not play that gig. I agree sometimes a gig is just not worth the hassle
    Thanks guys -- we do too.
    It was a unanimous vote.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    WTG...I would of declined as well. Its funny how all the people who complain on volume are the ones that sit at tables closest to the band.
    HAHAHA -- Good point, Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow that's unbelievable lol
    You should have invited him over to practice to help create the set list hahaha
    Yes -- my bass player suggested we tell him he needs to form his own band since he already has all the answers.......................lol.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Stroke View Post
    Can someone explain why my posts have to be moderator approved before they show up? Is it because I'm a newbie?
    Edit: Now this post showed up just fine but my previous post had to be approved by a moderator and I still don't see it.
    I don't get it.
    Do you let strangers into your house without meeting them first?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Do you let strangers into your house without meeting them first?
    Wow. I see. Didn't realize I was a stranger. I registered, made some posts. Even started a thread that had some great input.
    Guess my opinion isn't welcome. And I was merely agreeing with what the others said about the topic. You guys did make the right decision as a band. Sorry to be a bother.
    Last edited by 6 Stroke; 07-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. I see. Didn't realize I was a stranger. I registered, made some posts. Even started a thread that had some great input.
    Guess my opinion isn't welcome. And I was merely agreeing with what the others said about the topic. You guys did make the right decision as a band. Sorry to be a bother.
    I didn't intend any animosity---I'm sorry if I offended you. I am on at least a dozen different forums---guitars, drums, cars, trucks, and cooking to name a few---most of them require a probationary period before allowing free access to their site---that is what moderators are for

User Info Menu

I always loved the people that "loved" our band, wanted to book us, and then expected us to play completely different than what we do (did).
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Everybody goes through this. Hell, they sent someone to the Post Office to see if my picture was on the wall.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

They probably should still moderate all of my posts!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Wow. Sounds like the guy used to be a lead singer in a band.

I think you made the right choice and did it professionally. I had a similar situation last year, except the guy was in charge the entertainment for his class reunion and lived in Phoenix AZ....1300 miles away. His son told him we were a good local band that played vintage country. I agreed and scheduled it in. As the gig grew closer, we communicated again. Then I found out it was the Class of 1957, LOL. I felt bad because he was 1300 miles away, so I called around until I found a local band that played more suitable music and put them in touch.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Everybody goes through this. Hell, they sent someone to the Post Office to see if my picture was on the wall.
    I’m pretty sure I saw your picture etched on the wall of a local cave. You were riding a wooly mammoth. Above it were the words, “Rick the log beater”

Sorry Bud, I couldn’t resist...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I’m pretty sure I saw your picture etched on the wall of a local cave. You were riding a wooly mammoth. Above it were the words, “Rick the log beater”

Sorry Bud, I couldn’t resist...
    Actually I was at the beginning of 2001, a space something or other.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't get it.
    Its just a numbers thing. All new members have their first ten posts checked by a moderator - its just to discourage spammers and trolls. Now you're past the 10 your posts should appear instantly - everybody goes through the same trial period and it can be a little frustrating, but its nothing personal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Its just a numbers thing. All new members have their first ten posts checked by a moderator - its just to discourage spammers and trolls. Now you're past the 10 your posts should appear instantly - everybody goes through the same trial period and it can be a little frustrating, but its nothing personal.
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be something like that but I didn't see it anywhere in the FAQs.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be something like that but I didn't see it anywhere in the FAQs.
    Almost every time I have had a question for any company of any sort, the question I want to ask is never in the FAQ's. OR If the place has a phone # that you can call, odds are good that it's going to be a computer generated voice that also doesn't have an answer to your question. I just keep hitting the 0 and # buttons like a drum roll and probably 85% of the time, when you stop, it will say "let me connect you to someone who can help you". I then give that poor person hell for putting me (and other people) through that crap.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Almost every time I have had a question for any company of any sort, the question I want to ask is never in the FAQ's. OR If the place has a phone # that you can call, odds are good that it's going to be a computer generated voice that also doesn't have an answer to your question. I just keep hitting the 0 and # buttons like a drum roll and probably 85% of the time, when you stop, it will say "let me connect you to someone who can help you". I then give that poor person hell for putting me (and other people) through that crap.
    I'm not sure if you figured out your snag about having to sign in every time you visit Rick but I've had the same experience for the last few months. A few days ago I came here to find I had been logged out, even though I always click the tab so I stay - I just clicked on New Posts and hey presto! the post list came up and I was miraculously logged in.

Sorry to divert your thread Ricardo - you were right to bail on the gig. 'Hey I like you guys and want you to play for me' is good; but then being informed that he wants you to play a totally different set, in a sequence he dictates, for a totally different type of audience at minus decibels isn't exactly realistic. What a donkey.

User Info Menu

Thanks...……………..

This band is in a position to choose the gigs we want and reject those that don't fit our needs.

When the gig requires you to alter that which you know you do best, it is time to respectfully decline.

It is great to see all you other drummers understand that and offer support.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Been in a similar situation twice. Once we canceled. Once we played it anyway because the money was stoooopid. We survived. And the food was out of this friggin world.

User Info Menu

i personally would have taken it

money on the table

old farts love to buy music

your band would have benefited from learning how to play dynamically

on the other hand sounds like a bit of a pain .. probably made the right decision but hell the corporate gigs are bread and butter for some