Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Note to all aspiring drummers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Note to all aspiring drummers.

I learned to play piano to a "real" metronome 40 years ago, and found it usefull when I started playing guitar a few years later---I still feel that a rigid tempo is very important when learning new material---playing with other musicians can be a challenge if everyone just does their own thing, and the drummer can (and needs to) keep everyone on the same page---a drummer who can't keep a consistent beat is USELESS!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I learned to play piano to a "real" metronome 40 years ago, and found it usefull when I started playing guitar a few years later---I still feel that a rigid tempo is very important when learning new material---playing with other musicians can be a challenge if everyone just does their own thing, and the drummer can (and needs to) keep everyone on the same page---a drummer who can't keep a consistent beat is USELESS!!!!

You are right, a drummer who can't keep a consistent beat is useless.

I never had to worry about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    My metronome is in my head. Only place it has ever been & never let me down yet.
    LOL. Are you my bass player?

The way to REALLY find out about tempo is by recording. You will learn interesting things that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Today, I was starting to put together a recording of U2's Desire. That drum beat seemed so simple and I just played it straight through. When I listened, it was out of whack and when I looked at it, I realized that my bass drum 1/8th notes were floundering.

I was on at the top of the measure but somewhere in between I was wandering in and out. You can't really hear it solo but with a click and tempoed bass track, I knew something was jacked up. I would have never thought I could mis play something so simple but, there ya go.

(I will not divulge his youtube name).
    At least PM me a hint

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    There is some kind of tempo monitoring device for sale. I never used one. Might be handy.
    Yamaha and Roland ekits have this one them, mine measures accuracy up to 1/24th of a 16th note, and you can set it so the triggers won't play if you are out of this accuracy.

I use it to warm up, doing some technical things. It is also a good way for me to track progress, e.g. when i do my doubles practice i increase the speed only if i reach a certain accuracy. I'm trying to be able to play LZ's Rock n Roll, I have to get my stamina up, so I can play it the main pattern at 131 accurately, but it has to be 160.

The way i see it, use as many training tools as possible, metronome, learn rudiments, play along to songs, sight read, basically different ways of learning help you learn more and better...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22