Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there many other female drummers here?

User Info Menu

Smile Are there many other female drummers here?

Would like to say hi to all girl drummers on this site! I don't want to emphasise the fact I'm a girl, because I persinally dont think it matters, but I think we can agree that drumming is predominately seen as a 'male' hobby/interest/profession. Yet, who cares about conforming to gender expectations!? I'm all about breaking the boundaries!

Female drummers - I'd love to hear about you. I quite like the reactions I get when people find out I play

Responses include:

A) "Whoah, really!? That's so cool!"
    B) "Whoah! I never would have guessed you play the drums!"
    C) "Really? That's awesome! Is it hard? How long have you been playing? Are you in a band?"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are there many other female drummers here?

It is true that drumming seems to be male dominated. Not sure why that is. Here locally where I am, there are a handful of female drummers. Just like with male drummers, some are good, some are bad. IMHO, it has nothing to do with gender. Personally, I'd like to see more female drummers.

Welcome to DC.

User Info Menu

I do have three female drum students currently which is awesome. But over my 10+ years of teaching the number of female drum students is a mere handful.

It's great to see you rock on regardless of gender! Drummers rule! \m/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kristydani View Post
    I don't want to emphasise the fact I'm a girl, because I persinally dont think it matters, but I think we can agree that drumming is predominately seen as a 'male' hobby/interest/profession.
    Hi Kristy,
    You're right, drumming is predominantly male which is a shame. My 16 year-old daughter wants to start an all-girl punk/rock band and can't find a drummer.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Bridie is our other current female poster.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It's true that there aren't that many female drummers, but I couldn't say why. A have a few female friends that are out there gigging, but no where near as many as my male friends.

One female friend of mine is doing really well for herself as a freelancer in Austin, TX. Her name is Christina Comley, you can google her and find her page with playing samples if you want to check her out.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, I have a 8 year old granddaughter who's been playing for 3 years, I also have a 19 year old niece who plays for Longwood University's stage band. Both got there start with me teaching them.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

My personal feeling is that we have a couple more ladies on DC that keep that part private.

DC is a great place to come for a drum forum, but, some ladies that have been on other forums might feel that they will get "talked down" to if it's known they are female. I saw that on another forum I was on. It will not happen on DC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    DC is a great place to come for a drum forum, but, some ladies that have been on other forums might feel that they will get "talked down" to if it's known they are female. I saw that on another forum I was on. It will not happen on DC.
    100% true!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bridie is a much better drummer than I'll ever be..Just telling it like it is! lol

User Info Menu

Yes Bridie at 14 is a very good drummer with lots of potential.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    My personal feeling is that we have a couple more ladies on DC that keep that part private.

I've suspected that as well. That's OK with me......wait a minute......what if someone turned out to be a member's wife in disguise? What if one of you is actually MY wife

Umm......I just want to say that I've over exaggerated the amount of money I've spent on drums...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    What if one of you is actually MY wife

Umm......I just want to say that I've over exaggerated the amount of money I've spent on drums...
    Now that's super funny, right there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kristydani View Post
    Would like to say hi to all girl drummers on this site! I don't want to emphasise the fact I'm a girl, because I persinally dont think it matters, but I think we can agree that drumming is predominately seen as a 'male' hobby/interest/profession. Yet, who cares about conforming to gender expectations!? I'm all about breaking the boundaries!

Female drummers - I'd love to hear about you. I quite like the reactions I get when people find out I play

Responses include:

A) "Whoah, really!? That's so cool!"
    B) "Whoah! I never would have guessed you play the drums!"
    C) "Really? That's awesome! Is it hard? How long have you been playing? Are you in a band?"
    I sometimes feel like a woman when I play.

Just kidding. I've been here since the beginning and have seen a lot of drummer girls come through here. Currently it's only Bridie that posts but I believe if other female drummers saw more of their counterparts posting, they might be more apt to join in.

Welcome to DrumChat Kristi!

User Info Menu

"What if one of you is actually MY wife"

LUKE, LUKE, I AM YOUR DRUMMER/WIFE AND YODA HAS THE MONEY.

User Info Menu

Hello Kirstydani,
    I'm Bridie, a girl
    There are a few drummers like us, but out of the musicians I know, I know one other drummer and a guitar shredder who are girls.

The reaction I get is usually
    From older people than me, " really? You drum...that's brilliant"
    From kids my age and a bit older I usually get that raising of the eyebrows, and downward turn of the mouth look, do you know the one I mean?
    Some times I think they just don't know what to say really.
    Bridie.
    Ps thanks for the nice comments from wired and PMCXM

User Info Menu

You are welcome Bridie and I take great pride to let everyone know how good of a drummer you are at your age. Just keep on drumming Bridie.
    Please call me Gilles or PMM for short

User Info Menu

I have to agree....this group caterers to Drummers..male or female...as a male, I enjoy the point of view of female drummers...so keep posting your drumming experience, we all will benefit.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Bridie is our other current female poster.
    You forgot Little A, drummer girl
    and we also have couple more sorry Ladies I have forgot you names
    We need more female drummers
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

What ever happened to Drumminchick, lady &
    ♬♫♪ılılsoundlılı♪♫♬ ? All female drummer members...
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-10-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I have to say, of all the female musicians I've at least met here, only two don't sing (both are pianists). The age range is from 19-60, from all over the world. We have a female singer, I'd rather have one, although besides opera and jazz, I dont listen to many female singers, which makes finding covers a bit hard. I wonder if the female voice is perhaps more naturally better pitched, or it's a societal thing.

With instruments, what's really great is that it really is just about how well you play, unlike in sport or even in the workplace where you can hear, "Yea. she's good, for a woman".

I iwsh you saw more women playing "support" instruments and not just in lead roles. I was also thinking, has anyone ever heard of a drummer couple? of course, each would probably have their own kit, and given our propensity for collecting lots of stuff, their place would be like one b ig drum store, which sounds awesome! I think it's time to update my okcupid account, "message me if: you play drums"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I have to say, of all the female musicians I've at least met here, only two don't sing (both are pianists). The age range is from 19-60, from all over the world. We have a female singer, I'd rather have one, although besides opera and jazz, I dont listen to many female singers, which makes finding covers a bit hard. I wonder if the female voice is perhaps more naturally better pitched, or it's a societal thing.

With instruments, what's really great is that it really is just about how well you play, unlike in sport or even in the workplace where you can hear, "Yea. she's good, for a woman".

I iwsh you saw more women playing "support" instruments and not just in lead roles. I was also thinking, has anyone ever heard of a drummer couple? of course, each would probably have their own kit, and given our propensity for collecting lots of stuff, their place would be like one b ig drum store, which sounds awesome! I think it's time to update my okcupid account, "message me if: you play drums"
    There used to be a guy on here (from Ohio I think) he was drummer and his wife was a percussionist in an orchestra or something like that. Must have been cool.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You are welcome Bridie and I take great pride to let everyone know how good of a drummer you are at your age. Just keep on drumming Bridie.
    Please call me Gilles or PMM for short
    Ahh! I couldn't remember your name, sorry! Gilles
    Bridie

User Info Menu

I'm a dude, but welcome to DC!

I can't speak personally for the females here because I haven't been here very long, so I don't know them that well.

But since we're on the topic, one of my favorite female drummers is Emmanuelle Caplette. She's a very tasteful player, and watching her videos, she gets so much joy out of playing. I love it.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Welcome! Always good to have more female drummers on here

Noticed you’re from Oz as well, where abouts?
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.