Thread: Tosco/Sabian cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Tosco/Sabian cymbals

I found an 18" Tosco Impact crash on Kijiji for $90. I'm not looking to buy it, but I saw that it was made by Sabian. The cymbal has a logo that says "Original Design". I'm surprised I haven't heard of these, as they are made by Sabian.

Anyone else know of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tosco/Sabian cymbals

don't recognize the name either

User Info Menu

I remember Tosco cymbals. Don't think they were up to much though.

User Info Menu

I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere here......

Apparently Tosco were originally made by rotocasting in Italy in the 70's and 80s. Sabian resurrected the name Tosco in the 90s but manufactured them using traditional casting methods and sold them for a short period. Apparently they cost the same to manufacture and were priced similarly to the AA range, ultimately the range was a failure as they didn't sell in appreciable numbers.

They probably have a certain rarity value because of the small numbers sold, but the Tosco collectors out there search for the Italian roto cast variants.

User Info Menu

I have heard good things about them, but have never played one and I'm not sure if that's a good price or not.

User Info Menu

Modern Drummer reviewed them in the January 2000 issue. The idea was, according to the article, for Sabian to offer a more general-purpose line of cymbals to simplify the selection process. According to the article an 18" full crash had a list price of $225 USD.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Just google searched them.
    I remember seeing the logo around before.
    Never thought twice about them though...