Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snare Tuning

User Info Menu

Question Snare Tuning

Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble tuning my snare drum. I am currently using a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer. The batter side is an Evans G2 coated and the resonant side is an Evans G1. When I tune snare drums, I tend to tune the reso head a lot tighter than the batter side. Kind of like a 1 to 3 ratio. I am looking to achieve an awesome "crack" with this snare, preferably a hard rock sound. But when I tune this snare like that I'm getting more of a "papery" sound. Like if you were to lay a sheet of paper on top of your snare and hit it. I don't want that. Can anyone help me with this?

Keep on playing!

Thanks,
    Voltsdrummer

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Tuning

I've had my snare sound like that when it was in a different room. I moved my drums and the sound opened up. I tune my reso incredibly tight, and my batter is a medium tension. How do you have your snare wires? Mine are loose enough to not choke the sound, and I can hear the true tone of the drum.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Sounds like our snare drums are tuned exactly the same. My snare wires also tuned loose enough to hear the tone of the drum. But it may be the room I play in. When I take my snare to a different place, the sound of my snare tends to change immensely.

User Info Menu

Have you considered changing the batter head - the G2 head is listed on the Evans site as the most open sounding 2 ply head in the range so may not be the best choice for a dry rock sound.

I like the HD Dry head, it seems to dry out the sound but still leave the drum responsive and sounds good at a low tuning.

User Info Menu

I have never tried using the HD Dry Head. I'll give that one a try. I am looking for a good combination of attack and tone, while maintaining that perfect "crack".

User Info Menu

I recently switched to an Aquarian Super 2 coated head for my snare (after years of loyalty to the Remo coated Emp).

This head is dry with good crack..........and the coating lasts much, much longer than any other head I have used.

FYI.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If I am reading your post correctly, an Evans G1 on the resonant side of your snare may be the problem. Try switching to an Evans Hazy snare side resonant head.

User Info Menu

I had that same feeling about the G1. I'll definitely check out the Hazy.

User Info Menu

yeah I also have that exact snare head and didn't like the G1 bottom.

Swap that out.

User Info Menu

I am surprised that anyone would think a 10 mil snare side head would sound good---especially cranked up tight as you describe---poor thing is nearly choked to death get a 3 mil "snare side" head, and she will come back to life

User Info Menu

Maybe try a completely off the wall batter side, as I recently did with my DW edge snare. How about an Evans EC1 Reverse Dot. It looks weird, an etched head with rings around the perimeter AND a silver dot in the middle, but darn if it doesn't sound amazing!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I use the EC Reverse Dot/ Hazy 300 on my maple snare and it sounds great did not sound as good on my metal snare.
    My Vintage Slingerland steel snare as a lot of snack, crackle, pop with Aquarian textured Z100/ Hazy 300.
    My other Steel snare Pearl Sensitone has Coated HD Genera/hazy300 and it also has a lot snap.
    And yes Hazy is a definite head on the snare side. Thinner heads make the snare IMO.

User Info Menu

I'm just a little traumatized of thinner snare side heads haha. I've popped a bunch of them just tuning them up.
    Keep on playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voltsdrummer View Post
    I'm just a little traumatized of thinner snare side heads haha. I've popped a bunch of them just tuning them up.
    I agree, thinner is better. Try this:

On the reso (snare side) finger tighten, then go up about 2 full turns of the key, but one round at a time. Tune to each other. Then go up a quarter turn in the star pattern on each lug, turn over and test. If you don't like, repeat that process.

The reso is usually tighter than the batter and I usually will have the batter head tighter than a 10" tom but looser than an 8" if that gives you any idea of tension.
    Last edited by Bish; 10-13-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There's a reason drum head companies make snare side heads. Thinner is better.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I use the EC Reverse Dot/ Hazy 300 on my maple snare and it sounds great did not sound as good on my metal snare.
    That's good to know, as I have plans to use the same EC1 on my forthcoming new DW SuperSolid Edge when it arrives toward Thanksgiving...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

The EC with reverse dot is an amazing head on the right snare. I find this head no matter where you hit on it the sound is different at each point of contact. Be on the center, edge and in between you get a different sound and great for rim shots, ghost notes etc.

User Info Menu

I use a coated ambassador x for the batter, and an ambassador on the snare side. Beautiful tone between the two heads. No matter how I tune them, the drum always sings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Maybe try a completely off the wall batter side, as I recently did with my DW edge snare. How about an Evans EC1 Reverse Dot. It looks weird, an etched head with rings around the perimeter AND a silver dot in the middle, but darn if it doesn't sound amazing!
    +1 on the Evans EC Reverse Dot for the batter - I have them on all my metal Ludwig snares and they sound great!

User Info Menu

All these responses on the reverse dot. I guess this is my next batter head purchase. And I am going to need one soon.
    Keep on playing!

User Info Menu

reverse dot and hazy resonate for sure, its a good idea to change the wires every 2 or3 res changes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voltsdrummer View Post
    All these responses on the reverse dot. I guess this is my next batter head purchase. And I am going to need one soon.
    Don't forget the Hazy 300 on the snare side. Then you will love the sound of your snare for sure can't go wrong with that combination. Good luck and have fun.

User Info Menu

Thanks man. Definitely putting that hazy on there too.
    Keep on playing!

User Info Menu

I find that paper bag sound usually comes from a coated head that is too loose. Having the thicker reso probably makes it worse, as it has more mass and transfers more energy back to the batter head.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Snare Tuning

---UPDATE---
    Today I went over to Guitar Center and picked up an Evans EC Reverse Dot and a Hazy snare side. Tuned everything up and I've never been happier with the way my snare sounds than now. Thanks guys, you all were a huge help!
    Last edited by voltsdrummer; 10-17-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Keep on playing!