Thread: Anyone tried this before?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone tried this before?

EDIT: Just noticed I wrote "tired" instead of "tried" in the title...

[If fixed it for you. - Tom]

Hey guys, so I was setting up my kit today and was playing around with some different configurations, and some spare parts that I had lying around, and I took an old head snare head and laid it upside down, on top of my snare. It made such a difference! Obviously having the extra weight on the drum is going to muffle the sound, but it really changed it, and it strikes me as something that could be potentially useful at a gig where different snare sounds could be needed.

Anyone else tried this or something similar before?

I put together a quick video of my findings to hear the difference. I do have EQ on my drums in the video, but the settings are exactly the same for the normal snare sound against the one with the extra head.

Last edited by The Chazbo; 10-14-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone tired this before?

Never tried another head no.

Just the classics like a towel and shirt.

I'll have to try it tonight

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone tried this before?

The closest that I have used is the "O" rings. Never another head will have to try that too. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

I like it. Thanks for posting. Adding that drum head really deepens the sound. I like deeper sounding snare drums anyway.

User Info Menu

Yup...did that years ago . I just thought everyone else was doing it too .

User Info Menu

You could cut the aluminu hoop off an old head.....just like making studio rings, but rather as a full disc as opposed to a ring.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham