Thread: New to forum/drumming - tips and suggestions

User Info Menu

Default New to forum/drumming - tips and suggestions

Hi guys(and gals) - new to the forum and brand new to drumming. I just purchased a Roland TD-1K electronic kit and was wondering if anybody had any tips about drumming, in general, and about amplification, specifically. I would like to buy an amp (Christmas time or tax refund next spring) that I would use at home and possibly, in the future, gig with. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to forum/drumming - tips and suggestions

Best bet on a budget is to get a used keyboard amp.
    You can get them for cheap on craigslist.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The Roland drum amps sound good to me. My friend has one.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC. Keyboard amp is a good way to start. You can also go with a lower-end powered PA amp and powered subwoofer but that setup can run you $700-$1,000.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and tips, guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    The Roland drum amps sound good to me. My friend has one.
    Not compared to a decent PA.

Years ago I picked up a PM 10. It was a waste of money ($300 i believe)

I didn't realize how bad it sounded until I later purchased a decent PA (tri amped with 15" speakers) and I compared the two.

Keep your eyes open for a decent PA. You will need one to gig with any way.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!

It really depends on why you want amplification. For example, I have a rather cheap but practical monitor i use, but quite good headphones, as I mostly practice with the headphones and I have 2 inputs on the monitor (for our singer at band practice).

If you are new to drumming, figure your first gig is at least 2 years away (depends of course how much you practice). So ask yourself, do you really need good amplification? Do you even need it at all (I got the monitor after a year or so, had the headphones from the beginning)?

Maybe you have a limited budget and it would be a good idea to save money on the amp and put it away for a akit...but as previously mentioned, a used keyboard amp should work fine, or perhaps get a monitor with multiple inputs...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Thanks again for you tips, folks. I should clarify that when I said "gig" I meant playing with 3 work colleagues and my brother-in-law, on occasion. I want an amp that I can play with work buddies: One is a skilled bass player and is in numerous bands, one is a music-school trained sax player, guitarist, and keyboard player who is also very good on drums and bass, and the last is a really good rhythm guitarist. My brother-in-law is a long time drummer who I could really learn from, also. I live in a small apartment and use headphones on my Roland kit, but would also like to, on occasion(only during the afternoon), "cut loose" and play drums with a substantial amp. Since I can only afford one amp, I'd like to get something that is good, moderately priced and with at least 150-200 watts. I am a "recently learning" bass player and guitarist so am fairly familiar with bass and guitar amps, but know very little about drum amps.

Thanks in advance for your welcome and sage advice. Time to practice!

User Info Menu

How about this: An inexpensive 2 channel mixer with a built in 3 band EQ and a Powered Speaker (either 12" or 15" woofer with a 1" horn) or a Powered Speaker with a Built In EQ?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Warren - thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking more for a combo style amp. I live in a very old apartment with a very limited amount of electrical outlets. Thanks again for your suggestion.

User Info Menu

Oh - by the by - - Peavey has a Powered speaker with a built in 3 band EQ - you might take a look online at them
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have the Simmons DA200. I use it for practice and the occasional gig. Around $325-350 new and can be had cheaper on Craigslist in most cities. Pretty good for the price and plenty loud and thumpy with the built in subwoofer.

Here's a few songs from our Halloween gig. All of the drum sound is going through the Simmons amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1m5kDmfViM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtz4ZeB4TY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-dnZrWxx50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyL9eZuZI2A

User Info Menu

Roland has a proven track record. An industry standard for keyboardists. Also Roland has a reputation for the e-drums themselves. Def worth the extra $$.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm thinking of going with the Simmons DA200S. I do appreciate all the advice!

User Info Menu

I used to use this when I had an e-kit. Sounded amazing. At the time I bought it they were selling for $800.00, unfortunately now that price has gone way up to $1400.00 Still worth it if you want top quality sound. I still have mine although I ditched the e-kit years ago. I've done a couple DJ gigs with it and made some quick cash. The thing kicks. I use it for a vocal P.A. when we jam as well.

The speakers have 10" woofers and horns, the sub has a 750 watt amp and a 15" woofer. I believe the new version is 1200 watts so your getting more for the extra money. Guitar Center sells them B52 is the brand name.

There is also a larger version with an 18" powered sub.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks. I ended up buying a Simmons DA200. Fits within my budget and (to my untrained "drummer" ears) sounds pretty good. Thanks again, all.