Thread: Idylwild

User Info Menu

Default Idylwild

Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I've been active (thanks college). Formerly know as 13drummer, but have no idea what happened with my account info, etc. But alas, I return with vengeance (jk)!

So, I've been in a couple bands over the last 5 years. Mostly with musicians far older (not a bad thing) and more experienced than myself. Great experiences and I learned a lot playing with those people. However, I felt like I needed to be in a group with people my own age. The pianist at my church, who I also go to school with, offered me an audition for the band he was in with some other students. I ended up getting the gig and love being in this band.

The band is called Idylwild, named after the street on which we practice. I've recently found that there's a Scottish band with the same name, so I might bring that up to the guys and see if we should keep the name. I've been in the band for about 8 or 9 months now. We've played at a few bars locally and have started writing our own stuff. Hopefully we'll get some stuff recorded and up on the internet soon. There's a lot of material I'm excited about. We play A LOT of different stuff, everything from the Beatles to Maroon 5, Chuck Berry and Bruno Mars.

Anyhow, we've got a ReverbNation, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We'd like to expand the places we play. How do you all suggest going about getting new gigs?

Also, how do you all suggest dealing with a member that isn't always on board with new material. Example, in our last writing session, we were working on a song in which our lead singer came up a new riff. We were kinda stuck on it, then our bassist came up with a sweet bridge and melody. So sweet that everyone loved it (like it HAD to be in the song and fit perfectly). When we asked our lead singer what he thought, his response was along the lines of "Well, I don't hate it, but I don't love it". Kinda like it wasn't good enough. How would you all handle it? I didn't expect him to shoot it down like that while everyone else loved it. I understand it's kinda his song since he came up with two main parts of it, but still, the bridge was perfect for the song. It was a little disappointing to be honest.

Being the member in the band with the least time spent, I feel like I don't have much pull yet in the decision making. What do you think?

Other than that, I really enjoy playing with these guys. All of them are extremely talented and well educated musically, so I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Below are the links for our different online profiles, I'd appreciate it if you all checked us out!

https://www.reverbnation.com/idylwild
    www.twitter.com/idylwildmusic
    https://www.facebook.com/Idylwildmusic/

Rock on!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Idylwild

Just watched the Wake Up Call cover video, I love that song!

You guys do it justice, sounded tight. I didn't see any of your own stuff available to listen to, definitely work on that or make it easier to find haha