Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions: Evans Coated G2

User Info Menu

Default First Impressions: Evans Coated G2

I ordered these puppies online and got them about 2 weeks ago but haven't had the time to put them on. I just did tonight on my Gretsch Cat Maples and WOW...

It's after 9pm so I can't really lay into them like I want to but all I can say is...

"I can't wait till tomorrow!!!"

Last edited by CycleDude; 10-28-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Impressions: Evans Coated G2

My eyes!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The coated G2 is a great drumhead in my experience. Warm tone, good sustain and durable coating. I've not tried the 360 version of this particular head yet.

User Info Menu

I've used the G2 on almost every kit I've owned. I'm swapping my PDP to G2's in the next week or so. I hated the hydraulic blacks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I haven't used the g2 but I'm going to get a full set next time I change my heads. Spaz, what ride are you using in that pic? The kit seems to get bigger every time I see it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had the G2 coated over the G1's and liked the sound I got.

Had the G2 clears.......................................they sucked.

User Info Menu

I have yet to buy an Evans head with a durable coating. No problems with their sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    My eyes!!
    I know, right?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I haven't used the g2 but I'm going to get a full set next time I change my heads. Spaz, what ride are you using in that pic? The kit seems to get bigger every time I see it!

It's a 22" AAX Metal ride.
    I love a super dry tight ride sound

User Info Menu

Classic drum head that really isn't wrong for any situation. My preferred drum head.

User Info Menu

I used this yead over clear G1's for years. I've been trying the EC2's which are pretty good live as they project better and, inevitably, have a but more dampening but, under mics in the studio, I still love an open G2 coated.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I really like these skins. They tuned up quickly & effortlessly.

I've always been a Remo guy, but to quote Bob Dylan...

"the times, they are a changing."
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I really like these skins. They tuned up quickly & effortlessly.

I've always been a Remo guy, but to quote Bob Dylan...

"the times, they are a changing."
    I've grown to trust Evans for all snares and toms. I think I'm still an Aquarian SKII for the bass drum batter side, though. However, I do use an Evans ported for the reso side.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I really like the Evans 360 design. It works very well on older drums. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound of clear G2's on my Concept Maple kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My drum head of choice (over EC Reso's) for all my kits.

User Info Menu

I use these in the studio and they record beautifully. Thinking I want to try an EC2 for live situations. They seem to cut through a little better, and won't fight the sound guy as much.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Coated G2's/G1' was my preferred combination for years until I discovered the clear EC2's /EC reso and I am sticking with these.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-30-2015 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Coated G2's/G1' was my preferred combination for years until I discovered the clear EC2's /EC reso and I am sticking with these.
    What do you like better about them? Maybe I'll give them a try.

User Info Menu

I had the EC reso heads on my old Export kit. I liked them at first, but after hearing them on stage, I took them off. They really made the Exports sound dead and dull from out in front. I have since tried them on my PDP Maple kit and the results are much better. They work much better on maple shells (probably birch as well) that have plenty of high end. I put G1 reso's back on the toms to help them carry out in front, but I kept the EC reso on the floor tom. I think after tonight's gig, I'll try the EC2 batter heads.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    What do you like better about them? Maybe I'll give them a try.
    They just give my maple shell that nice deep warm sound that I want. When I was using the G2's they sounded ok till I put some moon gel on them. So basically the EC2's have the sound of the G2's with moon gel if that makes sense. Edge Control is a built in muffling ring that deadens the tones a bit making them warmer and at the same time making them louder. I just love them.

User Info Menu

I have Coated G2's on a cheaper set on Tamas I use at were the band practices and absolutely love the sound. Makes the kit sound like a high dollar kit.

User Info Menu

I agree G2's make any kit sound good if properly tuned to the shell material used but the EC2's are better IMO and experience for controlling the sound.

User Info Menu

I agree G2's make any kit sound good if properly tuned to the shell material used but the EC2's are better IMO and experience for controlling the sound.
    I like the clear G2s, which is what I have on my cherry DW toms. I tried the EC2s, and really wanted to like them. Someone else had written that it should be easier to tune the EC2s, because there are fewer overtones, than with a G2. In theory, I would agree. However, for whatever reason, the lack of those overtones, to my ear, meant i could never get them tuned. The G2s (the clear ones, have never tried the coated) are easier to get a specific tone on. Some day, I need to try a coated head on my toms; I've never tried anything but clears. Something about the aesthetics of clear heads.
    Last edited by cabasner; 10-31-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

They just give my maple shell that nice deep warm sound that I want. When I was using the G2's they sounded ok till I put some moon gel on them. So basically the EC2's have the sound of the G2's with moon gel if that makes sense. Edge Control is a built in muffling ring that deadens the tones a bit making them warmer and at the same time making them louder. I just love them.
    Maybe I'll give them a try. I don't use any moon gel or the like on the G2's live. Sometimes in the studio though. Maybe that's the spot for them. Thanks.