Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A brief Wuhan review

User Info Menu

Default Re: A brief Wuhan review

I tried that with my two 14" Wuhsn crashes. I used my medium-thin as the bottom and the thin as the top. It did not sound good...at all. I think it was because Wuhans are so thin compared to other brands. Maybe use medium bottom and medium-thin top....that's what Wuhan uses for their hats. Personally, I would recommend just buying a good used set of matched 15" hats. If you just want to try it for as little money as possible, look for some used B8 crashes. Use a heavy or rock crash as the bottom and medium or med-thin as the top.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think the key is, if you're going to run a thin top you have to counter it with something really heavy on the bottom. The thinness of the top produces the tonality while the bottom produces the volume.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I think the key is, if you're going to run a thin top you have to counter it with something really heavy on the bottom. The thinness of the top produces the tonality while the bottom produces the volume.

all the best...
    I have found this to be the case as well. Two very thin cymbals do not usually make good hi-hats.

User Info Menu

That's the thing about Wuhans. Their Thin is like tinfoil. Medium is about like a Med-Thin for most manufacturers.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I guess what really surprised me was the difference between how they sound up close behind the throne and from 20ft out in front, in the context of live music. It shouldn't....I know drums and even guitars can be the same. It's just how acoustics work. At first, I would cringe when I struck a cymbal...thinking, "man, I gotta change out those cymbals next break". But, after letting someone sit in for several songs and standing out in front, I was like, "wow, those actually sound pretty good from out here". Of course, the price is the biggest benefit. A couple hundred bucks for a set of new cymbals that are "usable" is hard to beat. I don't care if they get abused or break...they're almost disposable, LOL.

The 14" thin crash is a little offensive. You know it sounds bad when you crash it and the guitar player turns around and looks at you like you just farted.
    Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    for real lol!
    hahahaha
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Wuhan china had it for 15 years still sounds great no cracks or keyholing. I just picked up a 8" splash nice brilliant finish and grooves on both sides. A little tinny but good for the value.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I agree with your review and have mentioned so in the past.
    Here's a vid I've done awhile back with some Wuhans.

Cool post! Thanks for the video...Wuhans sounded good!