Thread: mostly dead yamaha PCY65

User Info Menu

Default mostly dead yamaha PCY65

hola gringos!

as the thread title says, one of my pads is basically not working. it sometimes responds, but maybe 10% of the time. what is strange is that this has happened very suddenly, and it's not one of the pads i ever really bash.

As I use my ekit for practice, and this pad is one of 4 cymbal pads i have, it's not critical. any advice, should i try opening it up and fixing it myself?

dank u wel!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: mostly dead yamaha PCY65

Broken electronic connection ?
    I used to fix my old Simmons triggers all the time............ugh !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

ok so how do i go about fixing it? or does uncle google know?

User Info Menu

Have you done any Trouble Shooting? Like try a different Cable or Input?
    Or swap out with another Cymbal or Pad to see if it does/or not work?
    Last edited by mdee; 12-10-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

should i try opening it up and fixing it myself?
    My motto is, Always try to fix everything yourself.

That's why the screws are there

User Info Menu

of course i've tried trouble shooting defo the pad...

I've opened it up, couldn't find any obvious solution, so do you recommend treating this as one would try to fix any drum trigger, or try to be more specific to that particular model?

Note, I'm pretty crap with DIY things, i'd solder my fingers together before i'd fix anything...

User Info Menu

Ask Uncle Google.

I remember seeing something on a Roland cymbal that involved cleaning some gunk off the choke portion.

I had 2 Roland cymbals that were auto choking and I just unplugged the ribbon going to the choke portion.

User Info Menu

If you are not very good at DIY stuff...my suggestion is that you buy a new pad and get on with the fun of playing drums.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

My one of my inputs on the DTXtreme III module has intermittent trigger issues. I can switch pads but the issue never follows the pad. Very frustrating to say the least but I don't use the ekit at gigs due to this issue. Sorry, couldn't be more helpful on this j.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My one of my inputs on the DTXtreme III module has intermittent trigger issues. I can switch pads but the issue never follows the pad. Very frustrating to say the least but I don't use the ekit at gigs due to this issue. Sorry, couldn't be more helpful on this j.
    You might take a look at the Yamaha DTX-502 Module - you get a whole lot of Bang for the low price. Just an idea for you to consider.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    You might take a look at the Yamaha DTX-502 Module - you get a whole lot of Bang for the low price. Just an idea for you to consider.
    Thanks Warren but I haven't touched the ekit in over a year. It stays packed up in a big plastic Tupperware tub.