Thread: Questions about Auditions

User Info Menu

Default Questions about Auditions

I'm back into playing after a 15 year gap. (I'm old-school, 55 years of age, if that matters.); however, throughout my playing career I never had the opportunity to audition, and as such, I have some questions on the process.

There is an open audition next month for a summer gig (production type show) at a large amusement resort, and I'm interested in trying.

What can I expect ? The ad does say sight-reading MAY be required. Other than that, what are some other things they have a drummer do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Questions about Auditions

They might ask you to play a variety of styles such as a jazz swing, waltz, blues shuffle, and 8beat.

They may ask you to play a couple songs along with other musicians or recordings.

Every audition that I have ever been to has been different.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Questions about Auditions

So from a professional point of view you need to no matter how nervous or scared keep your confidence level at a high and a smile on your face.

While you're playing and/or sight reading here is the greatest tip I can give you:
    No matter what happens or how many mistakes you need to keep going! Don't stop for mistakes and don't make them obvious with your body language. Keeping tempo and time is of the most importance.