Thread: Ride cymbal positioning

User Info Menu

Default Ride cymbal positioning

If anyone's reading this, I'm just wondering where you would place your ride if you had a right-hand rack tom (referred to as 2nd rack tom).

If you already have a right-hand rack tom, get outta here! Haah, just kidding. Where do you put your ride cymbal?
    Last edited by DaveTheRave; 12-23-2015 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ride cymbal positioning

Hey Dave, welcome to DC. Take a Look through this thread to get some ideas. Pretty common .

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...eye-12263.html
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Welcome, Dave.

Usually somewhere over your floor tom but far enough back that you can still hit the tom. Some position their ride higher above the right side tom. Personal preference more than anything else.

Or like Simon Phillips does, his is over his hats but he plays open with both hands. Me...not so much. Like never.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I play a 1 up 2 down so my ride is where my second rack tom would be. If I had 2 rack toms, my ride would be half way over the tom, just so it's close to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome, Dave.

Usually somewhere over your floor tom but far enough back that you can still hit the tom. Some position their ride higher above the right side tom. Personal preference more than anything else.

Or like Simon Phillips does, his is over his hats but he plays open with both hands. Me...not so much. Like never.
    I notice that your right-hand crash cymbal is quite far away from your low floor tom. Is it a struggle to get from the low floor tom to the right-hand crash cymbal?

User Info Menu

hey Dave welcome to the DC show, my ride has been in the same spot for so long it's hard to remember where i use to put it when i had the both racks up, but it was somewhere around the floor tom. The finish of your set sounds pretty cool hang a pic sometime in one of the threads.

The way I set up now just feels ergonomically better. No reaching or twisting. Also helps with my oxygen intake. That was a dumb way to say it keeps me from gassing out towards the end of a set

current. ride on top of kick
    Last edited by slinky; 12-24-2015 at 04:52 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

This was an old set up of mine. Hard to believe I had the ft that far away but it's an ever changing process for me, I am now playing a 1up 1 dwn set up and sometimes a 1 up 2 dwn.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Like some have mentioned my ride is just off my floor tom and below my crash and has been for years.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 12-24-2015 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Currently my ride is just over the floor tom.

My ride cymbal positioning has always been a bugbear for me. I tried mounting it higher (just over my second tom) and positioning my second crash behind it, I found this very tiring. Also tried stand mounting my toms at the side of the kick and positioning the ride over the kick, great for the ride - not so good for the hats - I seemed to be overreaching and it just didn't feel good..

I'll probably stick with the ride positioned over the FT, after almost 3 years I still keep changing the height, angle and moving it around slightly - I can't say I've ever been happy with it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input and warm welcome! Personally I don't feel strained with having my ride cymbal where it is; a lot of people do. I'm perfectly comfortable with having it positioned there.

If you can't see it, I could always pull up some more images.

Also I like doing "multi-tom" grooves and fills with 3 as opposed to just 2; I find it more fun that way.

5-piece Arctic Sparkle Pearl Export:
    14x6 snare (part of the kit)
    10x8 high rack tom
    12x9 low rack tom
    14x14 floor tom
    22 kick (not sure about the depth).

Zildjian cymbals:
    14 ZBT hi-hat
    20 ZBT ride
    16 ZBT crash
    14 ZBT crash (yep, a baby crash!).

I also bought my brother a cowbell (as he also plays drums) which will be mounted to the kick drum.
    Centred 5-piece Arctic Sparkle Pearl Export:
    14x6" snare (came with the kit)
    10x8" high rack tom
    12x9" low rack tom
    14x14" floor tom
    22x20" kick
    6" cowbell.
    Zildjian cymbals:
    14" ZBT hi-hat
    20" ZBT ride
    10" ZBT splash
    16" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    I notice that your right-hand crash cymbal is quite far away from your low floor tom. Is it a struggle to get from the low floor tom to the right-hand crash cymbal?
    Not sure what picture you saw the gave you that idea but most of my right hand cymbals are directly above the ride as close as the stands will allow and are set fairly low. Never been an issue with reaching for them and I'm a stocky 6 footer.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Not sure what picture you saw the gave you that idea but most of my right hand cymbals are directly above the ride as close as the stands will allow and are set fairly low. Never been an issue with reaching for them and I'm a stocky 6 footer.
    I was talking about your avator; about the distance between the second floor tom and the second crash cymbal. Or is that not your kit?
    10x8" high rack tom
    12x9" low rack tom
    14x14" floor tom
    22x20" kick
    6" cowbell.
    Zildjian cymbals:
    14" ZBT hi-hat
    20" ZBT ride
    10" ZBT splash
    16" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash.

User Info Menu

I was talking about your avator; about the distance between the second floor tom and the second crash cymbal. Or is that not your kit?
    Ah, I see what you did there. LOL.

Yes, that is my pride and joy.

Here's a better view...

20151111_111816 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here's a different angle. They really are in rather tight but perfect for my reach.

20151111_111744 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Ohh I see! That's a nice kit!
    10x8" high rack tom
    12x9" low rack tom
    14x14" floor tom
    22x20" kick
    6" cowbell.
    Zildjian cymbals:
    14" ZBT hi-hat
    20" ZBT ride
    10" ZBT splash
    16" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash.

User Info Menu

Ohh I see! That's a nice kit!
    Thank you. I'm very happy with it.

I now have it moved out into the main practice room and all mic'd up. I've been working on getting some recordings of it but with the holidays, it's been difficult to get what I want done, accomplished.

I hope to post some vids soon.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thank you. I'm very happy with it.

I now have it moved out into the main practice room and all mic'd up. I've been working on getting some recordings of it but with the holidays, it's been difficult to get what I want done, accomplished.

I hope to post some vids soon.
    Cool. Let me know how they sound!
    10x8" high rack tom
    12x9" low rack tom
    14x14" floor tom
    22x20" kick
    6" cowbell.
    Zildjian cymbals:
    14" ZBT hi-hat
    20" ZBT ride
    10" ZBT splash
    16" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash.

User Info Menu

When i played 2 up i had mine off to the right above the floor tom.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I play a 1 up 2 down these days but when I did go with the 2 up configuration, I'd offset the rack toms on a stand so that the ride would still be placed over the kick.

My approach to set up is to start with the parts of the kit I use most and get them comfortable. For me, this is kick, snare, hi-hat and ride. These take prioirty in my setup so get the optimal position. All other pieces are secondary and will need to fit around these 4 pieces. I moved to 1 up 2 down as I was not able to get the two rack toms where I wanted without moving the hi-hat to the left (I play right handed) and this is not something my approach to setup will allow.

In practice, with a 1 up 2 down tom setup along with 3 x crashes this is pretty stright forward with little need for compromise on the secondary pieces but can get trickier when having to setup in confined spaces or where the kit is larger.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

2 up 1 down, the ride is partially over the floor tom.